The katawa secret files?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

The katawa secret files?

Post by ubergeneral »

an interesting thought, we know that devs had made many old rough drafts of their scripts as any writer does.

What if they released their old rough drafts for us to see? Even if it's an imcomplete draft, I think some of us would be interested in seeing old drafts and plot ideas that got dropped.
Tomate

Re: The katawa secret files?

Post by Tomate »

Thats actually a good idea.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

I know that cpl_crud has released a short story that was originally going to be Hanako's backstory on his blog.

It's interesting because in this version of the story the FATHER saves Hanako by tossing her out the front door into the snow as they are both on fire. The mother is killed nearly instantly by a "backdraft" blast as she opens the door to her drafting room which has been set ablaze by a tipped over candle (lit because of a power outage). In the final version the roles were flipped around and Hanako's mother saves her and the father dies.
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Not gonna happen. I don't fault anybody for not knowing, but we already said this before.

Sure, individual writers do drop old pieces of writing here and elsewhere on occasion. But basically, our basket of old dirty laundry is not going to get spread out in public.

We aren't Kinoko Nasu. >:3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Tilting Clock

Post by Tilting Clock »

Yeah, old bits of writing material just don't have the same endearing connotation as concept art. Short of writing a quantum novel, the possible plot paths and alternate written forms would only muddle the clarity of the final product. I'm sure many here who are inspired by the work would love insight into the project and how you go through the stages of refining it into something noteworthy. Thing is (IMHO,) it's more of a mindset. You have to be willing to pour yourself into writing something for dozens of hours, walk away, come back and read it, be willing to call all but a few parts of it crap, throw it out, and start again. I finished writing a musical the other year, and I certainly don't want to show off all the dead plot paths and awkwardly-stiff dialog that was ripped out in the hopes of making a better final product.

That said, creator anecdotes are always welcome, particularly when they had to knuckle under and hit the scratch to reset everything. Those moments are always so damn hard.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I just wanna hear some unused music.
zanger

Post by zanger »

Bigbishounen wrote:I know that cpl_crud has released a short story that was originally going to be Hanako's backstory on his blog.

It's interesting because in this version of the story the FATHER saves Hanako by tossing her out the front door into the snow as they are both on fire. The mother is killed nearly instantly by a "backdraft" blast as she opens the door to her drafting room which has been set ablaze by a tipped over candle (lit because of a power outage). In the final version the roles were flipped around and Hanako's mother saves her and the father dies.
like wtf: how about the earlier storyline where you could rape hanako
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

I really hope I'm not the only one who first thought of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS9oNBJEtNU
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.