Rin's finished/ashamed with myself

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

psyclown85

Rin's finished/ashamed with myself

Post by psyclown85 »

Wow. I have to say that I am quite ashamed with myself. This was such a moving story and very upsetting. I felt like crying so many times with what was going on but a single tear couldn't shed from my face. I haven't cried in so long that maybe I forgot how to? I don't know. But anyway, wow. Rin's story was so.. amazing. It was probably the most heart-felt and interesting story that I have done so far. (I've done Shizune, Misha, Rin, and Emi) Rin's story isn't like the others emotion wise. It's not sad or depressing, it's... for the lack of a better word gut-wrenching. You don't really feel sad but you feel like you wish you could help her more even though you can't. It sucks really. Out of the ones I've done, I found this one the most relatable so far.
Mirrormn

Re: Rin's finished/ashamed with myself

Post by Mirrormn »

I didn't cry a single time during 2+ playthroughs of every route, despite the game having such a profound impact on me that I've been hanging out on these forums for the past few weeks. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people just aren't physically disposed toward crying.

Out of curiosity, did you finish Rin's good ending (dandelions) or neutral ending (rain)?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
psyclown85

Post by psyclown85 »

I finished the good ending. I am going to go back and do the neutral and bad. And yeah, I've been spending a lot of time on these forums as well. Idk. The amount of sadness that comes from this VN is unimaginable. At least for me.
Bokito

Post by Bokito »

I played Rin's route first and I know where you're coming from. The only time I shed a manly tear was at the very end of my last route, but that was more due to the entire experience and by thinking about the 5 long years it took the dev's to make it.
Omurice

Post by Omurice »

Already played Rin's route too. The sad thing is I can actually understand her. So after getting all the endings (and going through all of Hisao's choices), I cried.
V_nce

Post by V_nce »

I had thought Hanako and Lilly's ending had changed my life forever, until i played Rin's.

"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?". Im sure everyone knew the answer to this just as soon as she asked it, and at least i felt like Rin did, as well. With Aria de I'Etoile playing in the background, a mixture of emotions kept me frozen in place while i tried to decipher Rin's question, as if i hadnt known it myself already. It just left a very good trace of that answer in me, while i stared at the screen feeling very satisfied of something, i cant really say what, but probably everything in the world, just like Rin. When i finally snapped back to reality, the screen slowly fading into white stroke me with a feeling of self satisfaction, at which point i closed my eyes while listening to the Credits' song, again in a soothing and an overwhelming sense of what else could be, but happiness.HHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG
fabio.salvador

Post by fabio.salvador »

I loved Rin´s route, except for a small detail...

I HATE RIN

She´s so annoying, so nonsense...
If I were free to choose, whenever any character did anything to hurt Hanako, I would be able to call that person outdoors and the game screen would change to Street-Fighter-esque mode.
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

I like Rin's route, and I like Rin. I think she's interesting.

At first I didn't really understand her story. I was confused at times and I didn't know what I should think or how I should feel. I didn't feel sad like with Hanako, or happy like with Emi.

But, now that I think about it, I think that was kind of that point. Rin was odd, so of course her arc would be a bit odd as well. After dwelling on it I think I understand it at least a little better now.
Elitesweets

Post by Elitesweets »

fabio.salvador wrote:I loved Rin´s route, except for a small detail...

I HATE RIN

I feel similarly.. I mean, no way I can get along with the character, but I also -just- finished the route. I'm feeling quite gutwrenched. DAMN.

Either way.. I need to replay Lilly's :>
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

I went back and read the last few scenes since I was half-asleep last night when I finished it.

I felt feels this time. Like I said, it wasn't like Hanako or Emi, but I felt it. I was happy that it seemed Rin finally found something she was truly happy with. :)
Logan812

Post by Logan812 »

fabio.salvador wrote:I loved Rin´s route, except for a small detail...

I HATE RIN

Funny, that's sort of how I feel about Shizune's route except I like Shizune, but I hate her route.
Favorite Routes in Order: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
Favorite Characters: Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin > Emi
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I don't really know what to think of Rin's route. I felt the same emotions as I did with the others but...I just didn't understand half the things that were going on. I was quite literally confused for half of the 9 hours i played it.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

ShadeHaven wrote:I don't really know what to think of Rin's route. I felt the same emotions as I did with the others but...I just didn't understand half the things that were going on. I was quite literally confused for half of the 9 hours i played it.
I felt the same way when I first played it, but I think I've come to understand Rin and her route a lot more since then. Behind her baffling exterior, Rin really is a human being just like everybody else... she just has a hard time showing it.

megiddo

Post by megiddo »

I don't like Rin. My feelings toward her are a mix of hate, exasperation, and pity for her condition: autism.

As for her route, I think it is the worst route in the game in almost every way. It's badly written, it's boring, and it's confusing. I think her route is like the booby prize of the game; you only get Rin's route if you act like an uninterested slacker douche in Act 1.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

megiddo wrote:I don't like Rin. My feelings toward her are a mix of hate, exasperation, and pity for her condition: autism.

As for her route, I think it is the worst route in the game in almost every way. It's badly written, it's boring, and it's confusing. I think her route is like the booby prize of the game; you only get Rin's route if you act like an uninterested slacker douche in Act 1.
I couldn't disagree with you more. There's no real reason to believe Rin is autistic. Rin's route is the best written in the game. It makes the best use of style, imagery, symbolism, and thematic elements. It is the most realistic, and has the most profound message. It is exciting and surprising.

I guess I would agree, at least, that in can be confusing. But that just makes it better in the end. :)