Why is Hisao so disliked?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mysterious Stranger

Re: Why is Hisao so disliked?

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Megumeru wrote:although you did gave me that idea of putting a Lilly sprite in an SS uniform for some reason...*Kenji will be proud*
NO! DON'T DO IT! It was a joke, just a stupid joke! Don't!!
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

I hardly think such derailments will earn you both anything but the enmity of the Local Wrathful Mute Chef Overlord (or equivalent).

Personally I've got no major qualms against Hisao. Sure he made mistakes the player cannot prevent, but that's part of the story. He's as flawed as any other guy. This isn't a story-driven rpg where you're the goddamn Bhaalspawn/Witcher/Nerevarine. You're an average 17 years old dude with a heart condition, an overextended stay at hospital and a life forever lost. It's bound to involve him making mistake you wouldn't make. It's hard being confident and unfailing when life repeatly slaps you accross the face.
And to his credit, he almost always tries to move forward and/or clarify the relationship he got himself into, as opposed to be content with what he has. Sometimes it causes a massive amount of feces raining down from the skies, sometimes it's good. But at least he tries.

I don't really know where the hate's coming from, honestly :|
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
ctang15

Post by ctang15 »

'Cos he's the generic everyman protagonist. Some think he's boring and cliched :D
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I don't have a problem with him. He seems like a nice guy. I'm just more interested in the girls.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

ctang15 wrote:'Cos he's the generic everyman protagonist. Some think he's boring and cliched :D
I'd say he's got far more personality than most of his type.
Not Dead Yet
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Oddball wrote:
ctang15 wrote:'Cos he's the generic everyman protagonist. Some think he's boring and cliched :D
I'd say he's got far more personality than most of his type.
He definitely has more personality than most.
He's still a bit dense, but that's because he has to be because of plot reasons.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I'd rather have an occasionally dense main character than a boring Gary Stue type.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

No idea. He actually looks quite a bit like me, likes science like I do, acts mostly like I would but more smooth and makes the decisions I would have plus learns to like running like I do, so as far as VN protagonists go, he's probably one of my favorites.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:makes the decisions I would have
It's almost as if you control his decisions... :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:makes the decisions I would have
It's almost as if you control his decisions... :P
Well, yes, that's the idea!
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Well, that's only half-true. You get to decide a few significant turning points, but for the most part, you're just in the passenger seat, not behind the wheel.
DDwarriorfire8103

Post by DDwarriorfire8103 »

Maybe people found him a little too brown.

Just a normal guy who isn't really outstanding but not bad either. He's decent.

His personal strength may not match up to the other characters as much due to the suddenness of his condition. The girls have had their respective condition for years compared to Hisao's few months. This can give them the sense of being a far greater character in general but also because he often relies on them in some way to strengthen himself (bar hanako) being the least independent as well.

I will admit I kept getting pissed every time he quit running by the 2nd day. When becoming exhausted just walking up a hill, complaining about how quickly his heart gives out it was hard to feel sorry after he quit running so easily. These things should be pretty big signals for him to get his ass in shape. Not to mention I kept getting the feeling he didn't take his medicine regularly which was verified by some of the story lines.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Just a normal guy who isn't really outstanding but not bad either. He's decent.
Decent? He learned a new language in order to talk to one girl.

He nearly kills himself to get Lilly to stay... actually, not even to stay. He's got no clue if she's going to stay or not. He nearly kills himself just to talk to her one last time.

He hangs out with Hanako and Rin when almost nobody else wants to. he works with the student council after they've chased everybody else away.

I'd say he's a bit more than decent. The guy's got the patience of a saint.
Not Dead Yet
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I've got nothing but respect for the guy. Hes been dumped in the middle of a shitty situation, yet he still does his best, and in the end, hopefully comes away with a beautiful and loving partner by his side. And he does it not by being "Stud Swaggervest, Most Popular Boy in School!" but just by being gentle, caring, and just a good person. Yes, hes a little slow at times, but as others have said, thats a necessary evil in order for the story to advance and the readers to learn whats going on.
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

pandaphil wrote:I've got nothing but respect for the guy. Hes been dumped in the middle of a shitty situation, yet he still does his best, and in the end, hopefully comes away with a beautiful and loving partner by his side. And he does it not by being "Stud Swaggervest, Most popular Boy in School!" but just by being gentle, caring, and just a good person. Yes, hes a little slow at times, but as others have said, thats a necessary evil in order for the story to advance and the readers to learn whats going on.
Good points. Even with his slowness, I feel like it's believable enough most of the time. People point to him not knowing what happened with Emi's situation as a sign that he's slow, but it's implied that he did know and just wanted to avoid jumping the gun and making her really mad. That seems reasonable, no?