Why is Hisao so disliked?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: Why is Hisao so disliked?

Post by Oddball »

Mirrormn wrote:
Roy-Kr wrote:Meh, bullshit. Even if it was considered rape, it's far too anti-climatic.
It'd have been better if he had raped her while going bananas over her refusing his confession.
I can't really tell if you're trying to be humorously hyperbolic, trolling, or just insane. =/
Either way, you're a horrible person.
Not Dead Yet
Ganolink

Post by Ganolink »

This pretty much sums it up
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

Ganolink wrote:Image
This is exactly what I was talking about with the whole "Hisao is a rapist" mentality. What I really don't understand is when people call Hisao out for having sex with Misha, even though reading the text before the choice comes up clearly tells you she had sex in mind before he did. Same with Hanako's sex scene (as hard as that might be to believe). I honestly think it would have been weirder if Hisao just walked away from the top, skirt and bra-less Hanako.
Now, is Hisao still an asshole should he have sex with Misha? Yes, but not because his mind immedietly goes to sex, but because he's fucking cheating on his girlfriend by fucking her best friend.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Oddball wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:
Roy-Kr wrote:Meh, bullshit. Even if it was considered rape, it's far too anti-climatic.
It'd have been better if he had raped her while going bananas over her refusing his confession.
I can't really tell if you're trying to be humorously hyperbolic, trolling, or just insane. =/
Either way, you're a horrible person.
He's just a Tsukihime fan.
pauper

Post by pauper »

Ganolink wrote:Image
I lol'd, he even has a point there :lol:
Completed paths:
Hanako - Good ending
Shizune - Good ending
Emi - Good ending
Rin - Bad ending :$
Lilly - Bad and good ending

English isn't my first language, so I might make some mistakes when I write something ; )
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

I think people hate Hisao because he has his pick of 5 girls with disabilities with an insane amount of sex drive who don't get pregnant. Seriously he comes inside ALL the girls he fucks. I think Lilly said she was on the pill, but everyone else...damn man! If I was him, I wouldn't blame people for hating on me because I've got my choice of girls to screw.

But emotionally, he does get stupid sometimes. Especially in the bad endings, like Hanakos. Dummkopf.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

BobBobberson wrote:I think people hate Hisao because he has his pick of 5 girls with disabilities with an insane amount of sex drive who don't get pregnant. Seriously he comes inside ALL the girls he fucks. I think Lilly said she was on the pill, but everyone else...damn man! If I was him, I wouldn't blame people for hating on me because I've got my choice of girls to screw.
He uses protection in Hanako's route, don't forget that.

Anyway, I don't really understand how anyone could really hate Hisao, aside from petty jealousy directed towards a fictional character. He's a pretty standard (although well-written) character throughout all the arcs. Yes, he can be rather dense, but remember, he's just a kid. I actually identify with him quite a bit, for the most part - excluding the iconic sweater vests, obviously. And the whole "Hisao is a rapist" argument really doesn't hold up for me. Although it's probably good to note that his character is rather variable, given the nature of the game.
Fretless wrote:Hisao is a pretty decent protagonist in my opinion. Sure, he makes some dumb decisions (particularly in bad ending routes), but don't we all? But he's a nice guy.
Let's not disregard the fact that as the player, it's you directing Hisao towards the good/bad endings. Any and all the choices he makes can be attributed to both him as a character as well as the person playing the game.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
BobBobberson wrote:I think people hate Hisao because he has his pick of 5 girls with disabilities with an insane amount of sex drive who don't get pregnant. Seriously he comes inside ALL the girls he fucks. I think Lilly said she was on the pill, but everyone else...damn man! If I was him, I wouldn't blame people for hating on me because I've got my choice of girls to screw.
He uses protection in Hanako's route, don't forget that.

Anyway, I don't really understand how anyone could really hate Hisao, aside from petty jealousy directed towards a fictional character. He's a pretty standard (although well-written) character throughout all the arcs. Yes, he can be rather dense, but remember, he's just a kid. I actually identify with him quite a bit, for the most part - excluding the iconic sweater vests, obviously. And the whole "Hisao is a rapist" argument really doesn't hold up for me. Although it's probably good to note that his character is rather variable, given the nature of the game.
Wait, he used protection in Hanako's route? Bleh, I gotta replay that to see if he did. But aside from him getting the girls and the occasional dumb move on his part, his choices seem to be like someone his age would do, except for his fashion sense (Goddamn sweatervests). But what's up with the whole Hisao is rapist jig, he definitely had chances to do that if he was depraved (Rin when she's high on codeine, Hanako when she's drunk), but he didn't. I kinda see how people might think Hisao was a rapist with his h-scene with Hanako, but personally I don't think there's a connection at all.
Mysterious Stranger

BobBobberson wrote:Wait, he used protection in Hanako's route? Bleh, I gotta replay that to see if he did. But aside from him getting the girls and the occasional dumb move on his part, his choices seem to be like someone his age would do, except for his fashion sense (Goddamn sweatervests). But what's up with the whole Hisao is rapist jig, he definitely had chances to do that if he was depraved (Rin when she's high on codeine, Hanako when she's drunk), but he didn't. I kinda see how people might think Hisao was a rapist with his h-scene with Hanako, but personally I don't think there's a connection at all.
Hanako herself states that she consented after the fact, albeit for the wrong reasons. So, no rape there, either. Although you could argue that Hisao could've been a little more active in seeking confirmation before going through with it.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
momiji

Post by momiji »

For me personally it's mostly the fact that while Hisao might not be a dislikable person, he's not very likable either, mainly because ther's nothing about him to like. He just lacks personallity imho.

KS might be my first VN, but I've watched enough VN-based animes to be totally tired of the blank canvas "hi, I don't have a personality, please project your own" stereotype. Hisao is totally lacking in the personal drive department, as well as when it comes to his interests. What does he like, what does he want, and why? The way he just picks up whatever interests the girl at hand has makes him what we in Sweden would call a toffel. I know you're supposed to relate or whatever, but for me it's just nothing there to relate to. Nothing that makes me understand why he goes after these girls, why he loves them, why he cares so much about them when nothing else in his life seams to matter the least.

If he had some drive or something to him, or some interests of his own, there would actually be easier to relate to him and feel something for him. Just like you relate to the girls because you get to know things about them, even if they're not exactly like yourself.

I just don't get why a person who have no interests or ambitions still care so much about being whit these girls.
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

I don't even think Hisao is that bland, either. He's bland in comparison to pretty much everyone else, yes, but he's not a completely blank slate, either. He has hopes and dreams and interests that he talks and thinks about. Let's face it, he could have been blander.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Compared to a lot of VN-protagonists, Hisao's quite well-defined actually. I also found him a lot more normal than plenty of other protagonists. He's not an overly perverted bundle of testosteron who's only thinking of panty shots half the time or a clueless chick magnet who effortlessly gets a harem for no other reasond beyond just existing.

Yeah, he does tend to mope quite a bit, but given how he's been through a rough time and it's still fresh, it's pretty justifiable. And most of his moping is internal. As has been pointed out, we don't know if any of the other characters don't have similar internal ponderings. Heck, try imagining a VN with gender-bent Rin as protagonist.

Also, is Hisao really that more dense than any of the other main characters? I mean...

- Lilly: so your folks asked you to move back in with them and you're strongly considering it? And now you're starting a relationship with a guy. (who your best friend, who won't be migrating anytime soon, is also crushing on) Isn't it kinda dense to believe this will end well?

- Emi: so you just finished your track competition and your stumps are aching, but you're not gonna tell anyone? Even when they get worse and worse, you'll just ignore it and keep running and pretending nothing's wrong. I realize you're afraid Nurse-kun will forbid you from running for a while, but isn't it dense to believe ignoring the issue will not somehow make things worse?

- Shizune: so you don't swing that way? That's fine and we won't pretend rejecting a close friend is easy. But for the love of Pete, don't treat it as "in the past and thus irrelevant" the day after. These things take time, so maybe encouraging your friend to take some time off and allowing her some space will make it easier for her to get over you. Continuing to spend 24/7 around someone who turned down your confession will hurt and will keep on hurting. Thinking things are "in the past" the day afterwards will not strenghten your friendship and believing otherwise is dense.

- Hanako: so you're afraid the guy you like is drifting away to other girls and you think the only way to avert this is to seduce him and have him sleep with you despite the fact you're REALLY not ready for sex yet? We realize you may be desperate, but a bout of sex isn't some miracle fix that'll magically turn your awkward friendship into a lovey-dovey relationship...that kind of magic sex only happens in movies and visual novels. (oh, wait) Take a minute and assess what you're hoping to accomplish. If you actually succeed or he too thinks sudden sex will somehow magically fix things, he might still feel like a rapist after he learns you weren't ready for it, creating distance between you two. If he's not interested in you, you'll just freak him out. And if you're hoping to provoke a confession...you might want to try to make things less awkward for him, rather than more.

- Rin: Can't think of anything right now, which is kind of ironic for a character who seems more bereft of common sense than any other person in KS. (safe for Kenji)

Erm...so...why do the girls get forgiven for making some major faux-pas yet Hisao gets hated for being occasionally clueless? Maybe because he's the protagonist and the girls aren't. Or maybe just a double standard. All in all, Hisao's not really any more dense than his female counterparts, but I guess since Hisao's the character we control (to a limited degree) we hold him to higher standards.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Guest Poster wrote:Erm...so...why do the girls get forgiven for making some major faux-pas yet Hisao gets hated for being occasionally clueless? Maybe because he's the protagonist and the girls aren't. Or maybe just a double standard. All in all, Hisao's not really any more dense than his female counterparts, but I guess since Hisao's the character we control (to a limited degree) we hold him to higher standards.
Because It is a Dude, Man has pretty much Dominated over Woman for as long as both have Co-Existed, It was only like 150 Years Ago at most that Women even Started getting any form of Equality.

Even now, Man is still more Powerful.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Guest Poster wrote: Erm...so...why do the girls get forgiven for making some major faux-pas yet Hisao gets hated for being occasionally clueless? Maybe because he's the protagonist and the girls aren't. Or maybe just a double standard. All in all, Hisao's not really any more dense than his female counterparts, but I guess since Hisao's the character we control (to a limited degree) we hold him to higher standards.
Yeah, all the characters were dense. We would get mad at them too if we could read their internal thinking. I couldn't hate Hisao because he is only a reasonable amount of dense. At least he ain't School Days dense. :lol:
Mysterious Stranger

Guest Poster wrote:Compared to a lot of VN-protagonists, Hisao's quite well-defined actually. I also found him a lot more normal than plenty of other protagonists. He's not an overly perverted bundle of testosteron who's only thinking of panty shots half the time or a clueless chick magnet who effortlessly gets a harem for no other reasond beyond just existing.

Yeah, he does tend to mope quite a bit, but given how he's been through a rough time and it's still fresh, it's pretty justifiable. And most of his moping is internal. As has been pointed out, we don't know if any of the other characters don't have similar internal ponderings. Heck, try imagining a VN with gender-bent Rin as protagonist.

Also, is Hisao really that more dense than any of the other main characters? I mean...

(snip, for the sake of brevity)

Erm...so...why do the girls get forgiven for making some major faux-pas yet Hisao gets hated for being occasionally clueless? Maybe because he's the protagonist and the girls aren't. Or maybe just a double standard. All in all, Hisao's not really any more dense than his female counterparts, but I guess since Hisao's the character we control (to a limited degree) we hold him to higher standards.
Thank you, Guest Poster, for this bit of lucidity.
Guest Poster wrote:Yeah, he does tend to mope quite a bit, but given how he's been through a rough time and it's still fresh, it's pretty justifiable. And most of his moping is internal. As has been pointed out, we don't know if any of the other characters don't have similar internal ponderings. Heck, try imagining a VN with gender-bent Rin as protagonist.
That's also part of his arc, so... yeah. Not really a legitimate complaint there, for those who do whine about that aspect of his character.