Katawa Shoujo - Positional Play **Spoilers, NSFW**

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bigbishounen

Katawa Shoujo - Positional Play **Spoilers, NSFW**

Post by Bigbishounen »

Ok. First, a few words of warning. This thread will have gameplay spoilers in it. I will NOT be using the spoiler boxes to cover my post. If you haven't yet played through all of KS to completion and don't want to be spoiled, LEAVE NOW!

Second. This thread is going to be dealing with mature subject matter in both text and possibly imagery. Thus, it will be Not Safe For Work viewing. You have been warned.

Ok, as we all know, KS has sex in it. (Hisao IS the king of boners, after all.) I thought it would be interesting and fun to both catalog and discuss the various choices of style and position that the girls and Hisao chose in the game, in light of both the girl's personalities and the story lines. And also because, hey, talking about sex is fun. Isn't it? :lol: :oops: :lol:

First, a short catalog, based on good endings for all the girls (excepting Misha):
(Lists for each girl are in story order as best I can remember.)

Shizune:
1. Light bondage, Cowgirl (girl on top), non-standard furniture
2. Cowgirl, Missionary, non-standard furniture

Misha:
1. Missionary

Emi:
1. Cowgirl while partially clothed, cowgirl (coitus interruptus! Thanks Rin!)
2. Anal, (Sports equipment storage shed, Anime cliche!)
3. Missionary
(for some reason I keep thinking I forgot one. Can the Emi fans correct me?)

Rin:
1. Masturbation, Fingering (floor)
2. Cunnilingus (Window ledge!), cowgirl

Lilly:
1. Cowgirl
2. Fingering (tub), cowgirl (Bathroom)
3. Masturbation, light bondage? (blindfold), missionary (failed)
(Again, for some reason I'm thinking I missed one. I just ran the Lilly route yesterday, so it should be fresh in my mind, But still... Help me out here?)

Hanako:
1. Missionary
2. GIMMIE THE CHOCOLATE HISAO! (Kidding!)

So there is my, if not exhaustive, certainly exhausting list.

Some things I found interesting:

The two blondes in the story seem to have the most action. I guess gentlemen really DO prefer blondes.

Hanako and Misha are two very polar opposite characters, yet they each have only one sex scene, both with the same sexual position, both rather emotionally uncomfortable. Not sure what to think about that.

Cousins apparently do have similar tastes, both Shizune and Lilly do some light bondage. Naughty girls.

While both Lilly and Rin are seen masturbating, Only Lilly climaxes on her own. Rin's scene leads to Hisao assisting. This reflects the the character stories in an interesting way.

Only Rin gets Hisao to go down on her, and only Emi has anal. The "limbless wonders" are the only two with "Unique" sexual positions.

It makes me wonder how much the sex was actually discussed during development and how much of the above is "intentional" in the sense of trying to lay out the sexual pattern in a specific way, or if it all just happened to fall together in the way it did.

What do you all think?
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
DrSkulk

Re: Katawa Shoujo - Positional Play **Spoilers, NSFW**

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

DrSkulk wrote:Methinks you've been thinking about this waaay too much. :lol:
Heh. Well, I figured that everything else about the characters has been analyzed to death already, but everyone seemed to dance a bit around the sex scenes without really going into it. I thought a bit of analysis was in order. Although judging by the lack of comments, either everyone is at work and not risking commenting, or the topic is too embarrassing or to boring for everyone here. :D
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Just a healthy middle-aged sex drive.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Everything can and must be analyzed!! That's what I learned in my fancy International Baccalaureate English high school classes. All the mundane and seemingly insignificant phrases from slice of life novels I was forced to analyze. Ugh. I also learned that analysis is intricate bullshit as well, but whatever. :lol:

Jokes aside, your analysis is good.

Also note that the sex scenes with girls who have questionable intentions (Misha and Hanako) are missionary only. This comments on how missionary is sometimes considered the "good" and traditional sexual position and how silly that preconception is.

Furthermore, Shizune and Emi's willingness to use missionary by the last sex scene show how they let Hisao into their lives and have at shed off their facades. In contrast, note how the failed missionary in Lilly's route occurs before the emotional hospital scene where Lilly pours out her heart. The missionary in Lilly's route fails because Lilly was unwilling to let go of her facade and couldn't let Hisao in.

Oh yeah, this thread reminds me of that pubic hair thread of where we discussed why only Lilly has visible pubic hair and no one else did. A dev even barged in and accused us of overanalyzing. Good times.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Tomate wrote:
Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

So... Does this thread make me the official "Dirty Old Man" of the KS boards now or something? :oops:

I mean, I CAN'T have been the only one who paid some attention to this stuff, can I? I know it obviously wasn't the focus of the game, but it WAS part of it, and important too. My personal feeling is that easily as much effort went into the sex scenes as the rest of the game, and we are selling the game short by avoiding them in an effort to appear less prurient.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

The two blondes in the story seem to have the most action. I guess gentlemen really DO prefer blondes.
And how, pray tell, is it the gentleman's fault that "Healthy adolescent sex drive" allows them such things? ;)

I don't think there is really any symbolism to the sex scenes, or a lot of deeper meaning. It simply makes sense.

1) Shizune takes a long time to get comfortable in a relationship of equals, is used to being in command and superior and as such, ties Hisao up. Also, raep. She can't understand that he did NOT give his consent if he cannot sign it to her and Misha is not there to translate, can she?

2) Because Lilly essentialy moves in a way of her own, is quite used to "leading", and "her" Hisao is one of the least physically active ones around ;), it also makes sense for her to go cowgirl. Also, healthy adolescent sex drive. Also, catholic schoolgirl kinky blindfold sex. Also, getting naked and bathing together.

The more I think about it, the more I realizes Lilly is the best one in bed out of the five (/six)...

3) Hanako isn't comfortable with her body at all, she is shy, closed, and is very slow to take action. Therefore, her stripping is really all the initiative she can take. Cowgirl doesn't make sense, as she would not be comfortable taking the lead or presenting her body in a too flaunting way (like doggy-style or reverse cowgirl or whateva).

4) Rin is lonely as hell, needs help from others, has problems expressing herself and can be - at her worst - selfish. Therefore, being masturbated or getting "eaten out" as the only girl of the group makes sense for her.

5) Emi is veeeerrrryyyyyyy physically and sexually active. Given her "superiority" in terms of health, positions which actually put more strain on her that her partner would, overall, suit her. The last scene is missionary to represent the now closer emotional bond and the fact that Emi is, in essence, now ready to put trust in Hisao.

6) Misha. Basically... I have no idea. The scene was meant to be awkward, the way I heard and see it. What more awkward than to have to *look at the face and into the eyes of the girl you're making love to who just happens to be the bi-curious lesbian best friend of your girlfriend on whom you're both cheating right now, for half of the time?
Also, Misha seems energetic most of the time, but is, at the core, vulnerable, a bit tired and scared. So, maybe that's it.
Last edited by Rivan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Everything can and must be analyzed!! That's what I learned in my fancy International Baccalaureate English high school classes. All the mundane and seemingly insignificant phrases from slice of life novels I was forced to analyze. Ugh. I also learned that analysis is intricate bullshit as well, but whatever. :lol:

Jokes aside, your analysis is good.

Also note that the sex scenes with girls who have questionable intentions (Misha and Hanako) are missionary only. This comments on how missionary is sometimes considered the "good" and traditional sexual position and how silly that preconception is.

Furthermore, Shizune and Emi's willingness to use missionary by the last sex scene show how they let Hisao into their lives and have at shed off their facades. In contrast, note how the failed missionary in Lilly's route occurs before the emotional hospital scene where Lilly pours out her heart. The missionary in Lilly's route fails because Lilly was unwilling to let go of her facade and couldn't let Hisao in.
Ah... See this is what I was talking about.

Very interesting... I hadn't noticed that.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Ya folks be overanalazying things.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Bigbishounen wrote:
Tomate wrote:
Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

So... Does this thread make me the official "Dirty Old Man" of the KS boards now or something? :oops:

I mean, I CAN'T have been the only one who paid some attention to this stuff, can I? I know it obviously wasn't the focus of the game, but it WAS part of it, and important too. My personal feeling is that easily as much effort went into the sex scenes as the rest of the game, and we are selling the game short by avoiding them in an effort to appear less prurient.
Tis a great honor to be deemed the Dirty Old Man, I salute you.

And you are not the only one who paid some attention to the sexy part of KS, some parts were hot like the blindfold or surprise bondage, some parts were squicky like Hanako's scene, but for some reason most forumdwellers avoid the sexy topics.

Rivan said it all.
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

Yep..
Have to agree with Rivan here.
Bigbishounen wrote:Does this thread make me the official "Dirty Old Man" of the KS boards now or something? :oops:
I prefer the term "Sexy Senior Citizen" myself.
For Queen and Country
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

alien.marksman wrote:Yep..
Bigbishounen wrote:Does this thread make me the official "Dirty Old Man" of the KS boards now or something? :oops:
Bonus points for added alliterative appeal.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Rivan wrote:
And how, pray tell, is it the gentleman's fault that "Healthy adolescent sex drive" allows them such things? ;)

I don't think there is really any symbolism to the sex scenes, or a lot of deeper meaning. It simply makes sense.

1) Shizune takes a long time to get comfortable in a relationship of equals, is used to being in command and superior and as such, ties Hisao up. Also, raep. She can't understand that he did NOT give his consent if he cannot sign it to her and Misha is not there to translate, can she?

2) Because Lilly essentialy moves in a way of her own, is quite used to "leading", and "her" Hisao is one of the least physically active ones around ;), it also makes sense for her to go cowgirl. Also, healthy adolescent sex drive. Also, catholic schoolgirl kinky blindfold sex. Also, getting naked and bathing together.

The more I think about it, the more I realizes Lilly is the best one in bed out of the five (/six)...

3) Hanako isn't comfortable with her body at all, she is shy, closed, and is very slow to take action. Therefore, her stripping is really all the initiative she can take. Cowgirl does make sense, as she would not be comfortable taking the lead or presenting her body in a too flaunting way (like doggy-style or reverse cowgirl or whateva).

4) Rin is lonely as hell, needs help from others, has problems expressing herself and can be - at her worst - selfish. Therefore, being masturbated or getting "eaten out" as the only girl of the group makes sense for her.

5) Emi is veeeerrrryyyyyyy physically and sexually active. Given her "superiority" in terms of health, positions which actually put more strain on her that her partner would, overall, suit her. The last scene is missionary to represent the now closer emotional bond and the fact that Emi is, in essence, now ready to put trust in Hisao.

6) Misha. Basically... I have no idea. The scene was meant to be awkward, the way I heard and see it. What more awkward than to have to *look at the face and into the eyes of the girl you're making love to who just happens to be the bi-curious lesbian best friend of your girlfriend on whom you're both cheating right now, for half of the time?
Also, Misha seems energetic most of the time, but is, at the core, vulnerable, a bit tired and scared. So, maybe that's it.
Interesting thoughts. Although Hanako doesn't do cowgirl. She does Missionary. (really uncomfortable not fully undressed missionary.)

Regarding Misha, If you go back and look at the scene, it's actually Misha who looks away. Hisao is looking straight down, although I don't think we can see his face. It's almost as though she turns her head to the side so she can't see him. She doesn't even want to look at what she is doing so that she can remain somewhat "apart" from the act, so ashamed is she at her own behavior.

Hanako, on the other hand, looks straight into Hisao's eyes. She is trying to use sex to connect with Hisao, so she seeks out his face. Two girls, the same position, totally opposite intents and desires. That CANNOT have been accidental on the dev's part.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Tomate wrote:
alien.marksman wrote:Yep..
Bonus points for added alliterative appeal.

Ok, c'mon now. I'm a good 25-30 years from Senior Citizen status. (I'm 40) Strictly speaking, I'm even too young for "Dirty Old Man" status, but I find that title far better than "Creepy 40yo sex crazed guy." :lol:
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Throwing it out there, surprise ain't nobody mention the whole condom thing with Hanako's sex scene.