Blindness (Lilly)
19%
Deaf (Shizune)
8%
Loss of Legs (Emi)
40%
No Hands (Rin)
4%
Hanako's (not sure what it is yet, havent gotten to the story yet)
29%

Total votes: 142

Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Re: Which disability would you want?

Post by Paddy »

zanger wrote:
Paddy wrote:Bah, that can't be it. Half of America has this "disease". ADD and ADHD's just a ploy on the part of pharmaceutical companies to get you to buy drugs you don't need - like Ritalin.

Or perhaps it is a symptom not of a real disease, but a societal disease - like a sedentary lifestyle.
ADD was a beneficial mutation to nomadic people, as it assisted in hunter/gatherer activities by improving the brain's ability to handle numerous streams of information. (people with ADD are more likely to use hallucinogenic drugs for this particular reason because they desire sensory overload). The thing is, today, symptoms formerly recognized as ADD are becoming more prevalent because people are obsessedly checking things like e-mail, their phone, watching TV, listening to music while doing other activities, etc. ADD has been linked to genetic traits responsible for various brain chemistries (some of which have been identified); it is not a made up condition.
I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, but isn't it kinda obvious neither man's brain nor body were made to be idle?
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

If I had to pick one, it would be blindness. I could not imagine going though life missing one of my limbs.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

ShadeHaven wrote:If I had to pick one, it would be blindness. I could not imagine going though life missing one of my limbs.
You picked some time To bring this one back up.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Post by Paddy »

ShadeHaven wrote:If I had to pick one, it would be blindness. I could not imagine going though life missing one of my limbs.
B-but... you'd never see the forums again! D:
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
Wander

Post by Wander »

Paddy wrote:
zanger wrote:
Paddy wrote:Bah, that can't be it. Half of America has this "disease". ADD and ADHD's just a ploy on the part of pharmaceutical companies to get you to buy drugs you don't need - like Ritalin.

Or perhaps it is a symptom not of a real disease, but a societal disease - like a sedentary lifestyle.
ADD was a beneficial mutation to nomadic people, as it assisted in hunter/gatherer activities by improving the brain's ability to handle numerous streams of information. (people with ADD are more likely to use hallucinogenic drugs for this particular reason because they desire sensory overload). The thing is, today, symptoms formerly recognized as ADD are becoming more prevalent because people are obsessedly checking things like e-mail, their phone, watching TV, listening to music while doing other activities, etc. ADD has been linked to genetic traits responsible for various brain chemistries (some of which have been identified); it is not a made up condition.
I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, but isn't it kinda obvious neither man's brain nor body were made to be idle?
Man's brain and body have evolved so that it would survive, just like all other animals. That doesn't mean that all these traits are beneficial in today's society.
Last edited by Wander on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zanger

Post by zanger »

Paddy wrote: I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, but isn't it kinda obvious neither man's brain nor body were made to be idle?
What does that have to do with attention disorders? It's theorized by some that many of mankind's earlier scientists and inventors had ADD, because they could never just sit down and focus on one singular thing but were constantly looking at different objects and getting distracted by side projects. For example, Albert Einstein, while he was working at the Swiss Patent Office, would daydream during work (resulting in the theory of relativity). Some people think he had ADD. Look at Isaac Newton, the guy invented Calculus, discovered gravity, came up with simple mechanics, attempted to divine alchemy, discovered various properties of light, discovered how temperature transfer works. And that wasn't even his day job. There's no way a normal person could ever have done those things. Leonardo da Vinci is another prime example. An artist who never finished his paintings because he would get preoccupied with inventing random things in his mind like tanks and parachutes.
Last edited by zanger on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the world would be a different place without you or me but who else would realize it?
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Paddy wrote:B-but... you'd never see the forums again! D:
Damn the Forums, If I can't Do Music There really isn't much more reason to be here.

AND DON'T USE THE BEEHTOVEN ARGUMENT
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Paddy wrote:
B-but... you'd never see the forums again! D:
I'd conveniently go blind after skynet shuts down the internet. :D
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

MY CODE:
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Alexbond45 wrote:
Paddy wrote:B-but... you'd never see the forums again! D:
Damn the Forums, If I can't Do Music There really isn't much more reason to be here.

AND DON'T USE THE BEEHTOVEN ARGUMENT
You don't need sight for music, you could compose your own.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

What I mean is that the Beehtoven Argument is that By Being Deaf, I could still Theoretically play music, albeit in a very hard way. I would NEVER want to do this, I may have Absolute Pitch, but this means nothing. I would much prefer to HEAR my music being played.
MY CODE:
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Alexbond45 wrote:What I mean is that the Beehtoven Argument is that By Being Deaf, I could still Theoretically play music, albeit in a very hard way. I would NEVER want to do this, I may have Absolute Pitch, but this means nothing. I would much prefer to HEAR my music being played.
Understandably so. To work so hard and never have the ability to hear the fruits of your labor is one of the worst nightmares for a musician.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Correction, That IS the worst nightmare.

Number 2 Is Damaging your Instrument, In any way. If you fall in marching band, the Director checks your instrument first.
MY CODE:
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Alexbond45 wrote:Correction, That IS the worst nightmare.

Number 2 Is Damaging your Instrument, In any way. If you fall in marching band, the Director checks your instrument first.
Ha, that wasn't the case when i tripped over a stand while marching backwards, tripping my drum captain in the process. Our drums went rolling, but his first concern was us. Of course I busted the bottom head but at least i didn't have a busted lip.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Well, For the Most part, If you fall in Marching Band, It usually doesnt hurt you too much, and usually, if they fall in the first place, It's usually because they faint. So There isn't much you can do about them, but you check the instrument and then help them up.
MY CODE: