Upcoming Katawa Shoujo Anime Expo Artbook

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

alabaster

Re: Upcoming Katawa Shoujo Anime Expo Artbook

Post by alabaster »

Mirrormn wrote:Looks like the additional $30 rewards sold out with baffling rapidity. I had a script set up to refresh my browser every 5 seconds, and I don't think it got through more than 2 refreshes before all 10 were gone. Unfortunately, I was not fast enough to snag on of those 10 :(
I was right there too. I swear it didn't take more than five seconds from the moment the slots opened up to the moment I had clicked through the options and got the error message. You folks are fast. Hats off to everyone who made it.

That -3 is still giving me the giggles.
kotomikun

Post by kotomikun »

Mirrormn wrote:Looks like the additional $30 rewards sold out with baffling rapidity. I had a script set up to refresh my browser every 5 seconds, and I don't think it got through more than 2 refreshes before all 10 were gone. Unfortunately, I was not fast enough to snag on of those 10 :(
I'm amazed you saw anything happen. I was refreshing every few seconds, and never even saw it go on sale. It went straight from "Sold Out - 0 of 10" to its current logically impossible state...

Given how crazily popular this is, though, I'm just glad I was able to get an artbook at all.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

kotomikun wrote:
I'm amazed you saw anything happen. I was refreshing every few seconds, and never even saw it go on sale. It went straight from "Sold Out - 0 of 10" to its current logically impossible state...

Given how crazily popular this is, though, I'm just glad I was able to get an artbook at all.
Indeed. I am going to leave my pledge at $30 (I increased it beforehand to remove the necessity of re-authenticating with Amazon when it came time to attempt to upgrade my reward) out of respect for that popularity.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
McMaNGOS

Post by McMaNGOS »

I managed to get one of the $30 rewards, but I'm slightly worried about the whole "-3 of 20 remaining" thing.

Any word on how this is going to be handled yet?
kotomikun

Post by kotomikun »

Mirrormn wrote:Indeed. I am going to leave my pledge at $30 (I increased it beforehand to remove the necessity of re-authenticating with Amazon when it came time to attempt to upgrade my reward) out of respect for that popularity.
Yeah, I was planning to do that anyway; I don't know how they're going to afford to make and send all these books at those prices. Though now I'm wondering if they're going to send these out before or after AX, since I might be able to get it signed there...Kickstarter says they'll be delivered in August, but I'm hoping that's just a really conservative estimate (AX is at the end of June). Even if I tried to buy one there just to have one for signing, they'd probably sell out before I got a chance to. :P
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

McMaNGOS wrote:I managed to get one of the $30 rewards, but I'm slightly worried about the whole "-3 of 20 remaining" thing.

Any word on how this is going to be handled yet?
The artists seem like pretty cool guys; I would highly suspect that if the "-3 of 20 remaining" legitimately means there are now 23 people at that reward tier, they will simply get 23 copies signed and ship them all out. An extra 3 signatures isn't going to kill anybody.
kotomikun wrote:Yeah, I was planning to do that anyway; I don't know how they're going to afford to make and send all these books at those prices.
They're getting $13,000 dollars in this deal... I don't think they're going to have any problems with funding!

kotomikun

Post by kotomikun »

Mirrormn wrote:They're getting $13,000 dollars in this deal... I don't think they're going to have any problems with funding!
Maybe not...still, that only gives them $26 each for the 500 packs of artbooks and buttons they have to produce and mail out, not counting the 80+ additional people who only bought buttons. I don't really know how much that might cost, but it seems kinda tight.

As for the negative-three-remaining thing, it looks like they just changed the limit to 23 people, so they probably won't kick anyone off the list or anything.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

kotomikun wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:They're getting $13,000 dollars in this deal... I don't think they're going to have any problems with funding!
Maybe not...still, that only gives them $26 each for the 500 packs of artbooks and buttons they have to produce and mail out, not counting the 80+ additional people who only bought buttons. I don't really know how much that might cost, but it seems kinda tight.
Just using a copying machine doesn't take a lot of money. At most, they'll only use like half of their current money which leaves a lot for Anime Expo. They wouldn't charge $20 an artbook if they couldn't pay for it.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

encrypted12345 wrote:They wouldn't charge $20 an artbook if they couldn't pay for it.
Exactly. Especially since it's a Kickstarter project; the basic idea of Kickstarter is that you give yourself a more comfortable profit margin than a traditional direct sales model, because the fundamental goal is fundraising.

Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Comments by raemz on the Kickstarter page:
raemz wrote: Alright, to be fair to everyone who was able to get onto the $30 tier I increased it to accommodate the negative number.
raemz wrote: Kinda annoyed at the obtuse number since I had planned to set aside 500 books exactly for Kickstarter pledgers, but oh well.

James

Post by James »

I was able to get the $20 Reward Tier before the availability was capped at 479.
Really wanted the $30 Reward Tier though. :(
I pledged $35 for my $20 Reward Tier.

I said it in the Kickstarter, but I'll say it here too.
I will buy someone's $30 Reward Tier for $100.
And the Seller can have my $20 Reward Tier.

You can say, "James, if you are willing to spend $100, then why not pledge $100 for the $20 Reward Tier?"
Well, I will do that too; I will up my $35 Pledge with the difference that I pay for your $30 Reward Tier.
So I'm going to up my pledge of the $20 Reward Tier for $105 total.

I'm also feeling of buying the cost of your Pledge of $30 too.
So I'll buy your $30 Reward Tier for $130.
You get my $20 Reward Tier.
You're getting free stuff.
Isn't that cool? :D

I just want my name in the Art Book and for the Autographs. :(
I'm also going to Anime Expo 2012 and buying the Art Book there.
While there, I will also be getting autograph of raemz and VCR for my AX copy.

I know there are a lot of you Katawa Shoujo fans who were not able to get the $20 Reward Tier.
And that there are many of you who are not able to attend Anime Expo 2012 to buy.
raemz said that whatever leftover from AX will be sold online.
But who knows if there will be even any left for online.

So what I'm doing, I will be buying Katawa Shoujo Art Books at AX for those who want them.
I will not mark up the cost of Art Book, I don't want any profit.
After Anime Expo, I will ship to those who want.

So those of you who want the Anime Expo Exclusive Katawa Shoujo Art Book, you can reserve a copy with me.
I will go to AX and buy a copy, or copies for you.
Just Private Message to me.
I'll put you on my List.
DH531

Post by DH531 »

I can't believe I forgot about the extra $30 tier rewards!! D: I wanted to at least try to get them but I feel asleep straightaway when I got home yesterday...
At least I still have my $20 tier reward though haha.
amentoraz

Post by amentoraz »

I woke up half an hour before 4am european time yesterday night. The books just lasted a few seconds, probably less than 5. I could select $30 when it was open and click into the corresponding button, then it sent me to the "go to Amazon" intermediate screen, and when I clicked on it, it said stuff was no longer available.

So funny when copyright companies hate free stuff and free software and so on because they don't know how to make money from stuff, yet you have hundreds of people throwing money at you when there's art that is really worth.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Well it is cool that the are planning to honor those 3 extra $30.00 pledges. Whether you get them made in a print shop or your local Kinko's the pricing is tiered for running batches that end in a '0' not a '3'. So if they planed to get 1000 art books made and offer 500 though kickstarter and have the remaining 500 as stock for AX; an extra 3 to the kickstarter pledges are 3 they don't have for AX.

Of course, far be it from little old me to suggest they look at rounding up the number of artbooks they have printed. Just to even out the numbers available you know. I'd never say a word about how if they have, say 1,100 printed up then that would give them an extra 97 artbooks. So in theory, you could take 50 more to AX and open up the $20.00 tier for 47 more pledges.... :roll:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

All hear this: five days remain until the project ends. A single $20 pledge has become available. Shipping is $10.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal