Turned onto Classical/Piano music due to KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Wakagana

Turned onto Classical/Piano music due to KS?

Post by Wakagana »

I've found my self appreciating Piano and very gentle methodical tunes very much more then I used to, (I usually tend to listen to rap, electric based music like trance, dub step, etc. etc.)

But after having the constant playing of some of the songs in KS I've grown a very appealing taste to listening to Classical when it comes to working, reading, or just writing in general, Its extremely soothing to me, so. With that in note.

1st. Do you know of any artists that do some good tracks of Classical? (Please link it here or PM me if you do!)
2nd. What're your thoughts on Classical? Love it? Hate it? Did KS's menu song (Wisona) Make you as appreciative as It did for me? :o
Bigbishounen

Re: Turned onto Classical/Piano music due to KS?

Post by Bigbishounen »

Glad to hear you're expending your musical horizons! There is just so much great music out there, I always feel bad for people who consciously choose to miss out on some of it. (I have extremely wide and eclectic tastes in music.)

So, to answer your questions:

1. if you want to try out Classical, I think it's best to start with the "Classics" if you will;
- Pachelbel: Canon in D - The ultimate soft and mellow classical song. Romantic and melodious, it has a repetitive theme much like the "hook" in modern music. You most commonly hear it played at weddings as a "processional" song.

- Vivaldi: The Four Seasons - Not a single song like the canon above, but an entire suite of four "Concertos", each one encompassing a season of the year. Each Concerto is intended to emotionally evoke the feeling of that season as experienced by the people living in Renaissance era Italy. Like much of classical music, this one is rather long. I recommend taking it in single-season bites, as even those are quite a bit to digest.

- Wagner: Ride of the Valkryies On a COMPLETELY different emotional note, this is a very well known piece, used in the film "Apocalypse Now". It is actually a small part of a German opera called "Der Ring des Nibelungen" or "Rings of the Nibelungen" or "The Ring Cycle". which is a hugely long and complex opera about German mythology and folklore with a hero's tale that was later echoed in (of all places) Star Wars. Very interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

- Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - One of Mozart's most famous compositions, and for all the right reasons. Light, airy and quick with strong repetitive "hook" themes, it's known the world over and has been re-used in more multimedia productions than I could even begin to name.

I think that's good for a start. Obviously there are far more good choices and please don't take my leaving them out as some kind of disapproval of them. This is just what I came up with off the top of my head.

2. As you might have guessed I love classical music (really, music of all kinds.) I spent 8 years growing up playing the violin, and you just don't do that and NOT come away with a solid appreciation of classical music.

Enjoy!

P.S. You should also check out Jazz and Blues music too. I particularly like Ella Fitzgerald (Jazz) and B.B. King (Blues). Do a Youtube search on them for more info.
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
Wakagana

Post by Wakagana »

Bigbishounen wrote: P.S. You should also check out Jazz and Blues music too. I particularly like Ella Fitzgerald (Jazz) and B.B. King (Blues). Do a Youtube search on them for more info.
I am a big fan of Music in general, but I easily enjoy Jazz, blues is something I have to be in the mood for, in a way, but I enjoy a wide range of music, the only stuff I can say I honestly hate is 'gangsta rap' with people who didn't even grow up in that shady of neighborhoods rapping about how fly and how many bitches they've got :P (Little Wayne, etc etc) And Death Metal, or extremely repetitive dub step

Besides that. Thank you for the recommendations! I'll look into all of them!

Edit : :O! I have heard quiet a few of these before, thank you for putting a name to each of them!
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Have you seen Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Setting some of the lengthy sequences of space flight to classical music (specifically, the Blue Danube Waltz) was a stroke of genius. My parents had the soundtrack and it was one of my earliest exposures to the genre.

If you like piano, Chopin.

You might also like Edward Elgar.

Indeed, try typing some of the famous composers into YouTube and listen to the related links after you've listened to the ones you recognise. You'll discover both new pieces you enjoy, and perhaps realize how much classical you've heard without realizing it.

Finally, if you commute to work (especially in a car) listen to your local classical radio station. After a bad day it's a nice way to unwind as you drive home.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

I was just listening to NicolArmarfi's Piano Sonata No. 1 in C minor. It's a very classical composition with three movements:
It's just brilliant, in my opinion.

I would also recommend Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain and Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.
Last edited by Mirrormn on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Wakagana wrote:I am a big fan of Music in general, but I easily enjoy Jazz, blues is something I have to be in the mood for, in a way, but I enjoy a wide range of music, the only stuff I can say I honestly hate is 'gangsta rap' with people who didn't even grow up in that shady of neighborhoods rapping about how fly and how many bitches they've got :P (Little Wayne, etc etc) And Death Metal, or extremely repetitive dub step

Besides that. Thank you for the recommendations! I'll look into all of them!

Edit : :O! I have heard quiet a few of these before, thank you for putting a name to each of them!
Heh, I know what you mean. I really try to appreciate all kinds of music, but gangsta rap i find very difficult to get into. Although I must admit I do like Chamillionaire's "Ridin' Dirty". Although that's likely because I LOVE the Weird Al Yankovic version "White and Nerdy" which is pretty much my personal theme song. :P

Glad to see you recognize some of them. See, you weren't as uncultured as you thought you were! :D
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Right now as i type this i'm listening to Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saëns one of my favorites pieces.

Overture 1812 by Tchaikovskyis good too, with all those chimes, bells and cannons firing.

Siegfried Funeral March by Wagner is also great, its a solemn, sorrowful and yet powerfull piece.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
DH531

Post by DH531 »

I liked classical music before playing katawa shoujo, I love trying to learn them on piano but i'm a failure >.>

If you like piano, definately listen to some Chopin pieces, all of his pieces involve piano :D
Some of my favourites from him include:
Raindrops
Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Waltz Op.64 No.2

Of course Mozart and Beethoven come to mind but I only like a few pieces from them :lol:
Also here:
Not exactly 'classical' but you might like it, if not be very impressed :D
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Bigbishounen wrote: - Vivaldi: The Four Seasons - Not a single song like the canon above, but an entire suite of four "Concertos", each one encompassing a season of the year. Each Concerto is intended to emotionally evoke the feeling of that season as experienced by the people living in Renaissance era Italy. Like much of classical music, this one is rather long. I recommend taking it in single-season bites, as even those are quite a bit to digest.
That's baroque, not classical :D
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

dunkelfalke wrote:That's baroque, not classical :D
Heh. I know. I was trying to avoid being overly pretentious in my descriptions. :P

Also, in casual parlance and in general classification, Baroque period music is considered part of "Classical" style music as a whole, just as modern "classical" composers' music is. So I wasn't technically incorrect either.

Aaaand I've filled my pretentiousness quota for the day.

See you all later, time to go home!
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if any of the composers I listen to most are Classical. I think they're all Baroque or Romantic... I'm partial, however, to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, and Rachmaninov. Debussy, too, but I've hardly listened to any of his stuff so it's not like I can say I like most of his works. The popular/well-known ones, basically.

I usually stick to concertos and symphonies, but I like Chopin's etudes and nocturnes, too (and that killer impromptu fantasia #66). People who listen to "classical," though, (I call all of it that, even if it's inaccurate) are usually particular about their choices. The best way to do it is just listen to as much as you can/want. You'll figure out what you like and don't eventually.
Last edited by guest2 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Always liked classical (ans baroque and romantic too) music. Chopin has made the best piano music imo. But this piece is heavenly too (Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata):
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Wakagana

Post by Wakagana »

Thank you all for the input so quickly ^.^ Forming a rather nice playlist with each new suggestion. Been wiggling around youtube and the suggested links as well. Finding a lot of good stuff. =)

Keep em comin' ^.^
Zig_Zac

Post by Zig_Zac »

Same thing is pretty much happening to me... I've been listening to the KS sountrack for the last 2 days now, about 10 hours a day, on repeat while at work... usually, I'd listen to RnB or hip hop or Dubstep... but its all about KS now... I don't know if its the music, or the feels I get when listening to these songs... Hmmmm
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I've been listening to classical music before KS made it popular.

/hipsterviolinist