Am I the Only One That Didn't Like Lilly's Route?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Otakumon

Re: Am I the Only One That Didn't Like Lilly's Route?

Post by Otakumon »

LeeeHaay wrote:I just did not like it at all...
I did like Lilly's path,
Make up your mind. :roll:
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Rirry is a Mary Soo.
LeeeHaay

Post by LeeeHaay »

Otakumon wrote:
LeeeHaay wrote:I just did not like it at all...
I did like Lilly's path,
Make up your mind. :roll:
Error there.
Meant to say I liked Lilly.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Lilly's route was indeed cliched: the standard, classic old-fashioned romance.

However, as someone who is a total sucker for the standard, classic old-fashioned romance, I couldn't help but find it the most enjoyable of the paths. It doesn't help that her path reminds me of my own special someone and, to a degree, my own story with her.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Everyone have his/her own set of tastes, and you are probably never the only one (unless you make something crazy up, like a religion, and never tells anyone about it...)
I myself liked her route a lot. And for some reason I dont really "click" with the other girls. I've tried their routes but nothing hit me as hard as Lilly's.
And I've heard a lot of people saying that they didnt enjoy Lilly's route much.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
FluffandCrunch

Post by FluffandCrunch »

I totally understand what's being said in this thread. Lilly pretty much had all the keystone romance plot points and did kind of set Hanako off to the side. It should be noted, as someone said previously, that Lilly's route is (I think) the longest chronologically, giving Hanako a lot more time to adjust with being friends with Hisao rather than having him MASTER OF ROMANCE her the entire time. Truthfully, while Hanako may be happier by the end of her route, I think her development in Lilly's route is healthier. I still think she's a dear. (I can't play a girl's route and then her friend's route immediately afterwards. It's too close to cheating. :oops: )
Lilly also gave us the most interaction between girl's from other routes.

Blatantly playing favorites here, but time for a tier list;

Best Girl: Lilly
Best Route: Hanako
Most Real: Emi
Best Friend: Rin (I don't like Rin romantically, but I'll be dammed if she'd be an awesome best friend)
Sexiest Bitch: Shizune

My opinions are invalid, etc, etc.
Tilting Clock

Post by Tilting Clock »

I've yet to complete Lilly's route, but it is kind of upsetting that hers is a little more mainstream romance fiction after the brutally-honest ride that Hanako's takes you through. I was hoping that they might pull a twist on the race for your love trope, a lot like how "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" did. That just seemed like the best hook and betrayal for the narrative, but I guess that wasn't in the author's vision. So it goes.

EDIT: Not an inversion. Sleepy writer makes sleepy statements of falseness.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

The answer is yes. You monster.

In all seriousness, though...
LeeeHaay wrote:
GIRakaCHEEZER wrote:The worst thing about Lilly's path is that it has no conflict for the first 3 acts. Without conflict I found myself bored with what was happening. The last act does fix this, but it's a bit late to the party. It is also quite cliched, so I think they nailed that part of her original design on the sheet.
That's what my big problem was. The first three acts were so simple and happy, only perfection. That makes for a boring character and a boring story.
So I was left bored for most of the story, which didn't happen to me during Hanako's story or Shizune's.
See, I was never bored during Lilly's route. I can't say whether it's because I plastered my personality onto Hisao and actually fell in love with Lilly's character despite the fact that she's fictional, or whether it's for some other equally embarrassing reason. But I'd say Shizune's route is a little more guilty of what you're describing (just a little - I think they could've done a tad more with the love triangle deal early on... though of course that might've messed up the reveal at the end of Act 3), although it could just be the order in which I played through them.

In any case, I can't argue that the ending of Lilly's route very nearly approaches idiocy in how cliched it is, but I felt and still feel that the story earned that ending. I say Lilly's route deserves a medal for that particular cliche, in fact.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

LeeeHaay wrote:Error there.
Meant to say I liked Lilly.
Don't sweat it, was just funnin' with ya. :mrgreen:
Actually Lilly's path struck me as an homage to the old fashioned Hollywood romance movies. How many times have you seen a couple come together in each others' arms in the middle of a field or the hero show up at the end to claim his love? If that kind of story is appealing then Lilly's path also will be. I don't really have a favorite path myself, they all have things I both do and don't like about them but none of them really stands out any more that the others to me.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

I actually liked Lilly's path because it was a traditional romance that hit all the notes. It was a nice, warm and fuzzy feels breather route between the emotional roller coasters that were Rin and Hanako.

Lilly's route is like a nice hot cuppa tea on a cold winter's day: nothing too complicated, but it's comfortable and keeps you warm and makes you feel nice inside.
GamerJM

Post by GamerJM »

I loved Lilly's route but honestly it's probably the most overrated route IMO. Either it or Emi's (even though Emi's isn't that highly regarded, I still think it's the worst by a sizable margin even though I still enjoyed it). The ending was just phenomenal and it was really romantic overall but honestly the first half of her route kind of reminded me of Shizune's in that there wasn't that much going on in terms of emotional depth and whatnot. That might just be because a lot of that had similar scenes to Hanako's route which I played beforehand (and enjoyed quite a bit better).

I will say though that Lilly's route was probably the best in terms of pacing. That alone made me like it more than Shizune and Emi's routes; it was the only route that felt to me like it was just right in how it spaced out the plot points and in terms of length. I thought Emi's felt too short, Shizune's felt too long, Hanako's felt rushed at the end, and Rin's felt like it went from Rin randomness to ridiculously heartbreaking and emotional too fast.
BadMrFrostii

Post by BadMrFrostii »

I suppose I'll throw my two cents in.
I really liked it, when reading about the characters Lilly was the one I had initially chosen to be my favorite.
However; my first run through I got Emi's path, which I also enjoyed.

I've only played through Lilly's path once, so maybe I'll enjoy a different ending better, but I was super disappointed, not so much in the story its self, but emotionally disappointed when Hisao asks Lilly about moving to Scotland, and she confirms her going.

I can't say it was a bad ending, really, but not what I wanted. :P
Gouken: "We are like cherry blossoms, Ryu, meant to bloom gloriously, but only for a short time until our season has passed."
Akuma: "But for the weak, that season passes much sooner. For the weak, there is no glory!"
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

BadMrFrostii wrote:I suppose I'll throw my two cents in.
I really liked it, when reading about the characters Lilly was the one I had initially chosen to be my favorite.
However; my first run through I got Emi's path, which I also enjoyed.

I've only played through Lilly's path once, so maybe I'll enjoy a different ending better, but I was super disappointed, not so much in the story its self, but emotionally disappointed when Hisao asks Lilly about moving to Scotland, and she confirms her going.

I can't say it was a bad ending, really, but not what I wanted. :P
It sounds like you got the "neutral" ending (I put that in quotations since it's really more of a bad ending, but whatever). Anyway, definitely give Lilly's route a second playthrough for the good ending's epilogue. It's glorious.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
FluffandCrunch

Post by FluffandCrunch »

>Reads Text Next To Proto-Lilly
I guess that explains it perfectly.
LeeeHaay

Post by LeeeHaay »

FluffandCrunch wrote:>Reads Text Next To Proto-Lilly
I guess that explains it perfectly.
Hahaha it does indeed.
I actually didn't see that until the other day, (in English, at least).