Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

danyo

Re: Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

Post by danyo »

encrypted12345 wrote:
danyo wrote: Especially the first playthrough of the after story, it was just so heartbreaking :(
Yeah, After story is awesome. I have issues with the VN as a whole and the ending, but it's undeniably a good visual novel. Try Kanon, Planetarian, and Little Busters. They were all made by Key Visual Arts like Clannad and have been translated. I need to get to them myself. Eventually.

Oh, there's little point to watching the anime since you completed the Visual Novel.
Thanks, i'll be sure to have a look into those VN's, it's a good change of pace from watching anime :)
Nihilistic_Idealist

Post by Nihilistic_Idealist »

Very few games put me in a state of cartharsis, and Katawa Shoujo was surprisingly one of them. I didn't expect the game to move me, it didn't have me on the verge of tears, but it was closer than most games I've played.

Anyway, here's a list of other games that gave me the "feels":

- The Last Express
- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
- A Mind Forever Voyaging
- Star Control II
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Earthbound
- Planescape Torment
- The Longest Journey
- Final Fantasy VI
- Red Dead Redemption (dat ending)
- Silent Hill 2
- To the Moon
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (That one scene with Vernon Roche and Dethmold especially, that was painful to watch)
- Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
Sefera

Post by Sefera »

You know, one game I forgot to mention was Aquaria. That is one amazing metroidvania with one of the best atmospheres in a game.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Nihilistic_Idealist wrote:Very few games put me in a state of cartharsis, and Katawa Shoujo was surprisingly one of them. I didn't expect the game to move me, it didn't have me on the verge of tears, but it was closer than most games I've played.

Anyway, here's a list of other games that gave me the "feels":

- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
- A Mind Forever Voyaging
- Planescape Torment
- The Longest Journey
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (That one scene with Vernon Roche and Dethmold especially, that was painful to watch)
You know your games man, I Salute you.
I Thought i was the only living being who played A Mind Forever Voyaging, nobody seems to remember those old infocom games.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
SplendidClaw

Post by SplendidClaw »

I guess it's pretty rare that a video game can evoke a huge amount of emotion from me (outside of the norm), but here are some modern examples:

Persona 3: The ending. By the time I played through this game, I became attached to all of crew in the game. It does a really great job of having you spend lots of time with them and explore their individual personalities. The ending blew me away when I beat the game and it finally dawned on me :The main character just sacrificed his life to save his best friend's future, with the only stipulation being that he can see them one more time before his death. I guess I didn't see this type of ending happening, I thought the friends would unite with "anime friendship power" or something, and just save the world from the big bad. But nope, didn't happen. The game tells you, throughout the story, that the big bad simply CANNOT be killed. Even though the crew tried to take him out with their power, it ultimately proved useless until the main character made his sacrifice. I guess for me it made me think of a character who transfers to this school, has no memories of past friends or loved ones (maybe because by this point he doesn't have anyone that he really puts his trust into), makes a bunch of great friends in about 8 months, then sacrifices his life in order to ensure that they survive and live their lives as best as they can. Once I started thinking about if I would really do the same, given the situation, the feels got to me.

Dragon Age 1: The ending was.....so good! It tied up just about EVERY plot point in the game, and managed to talk about what happened to EVERYONE in your cast. Simply put, this proves that having an ending full of text that describes what happens to ALL of your party is much better than having a rendered CGI ending that only gives you a minute or two glimpse of what happens to them (coughdragonage2cough).

Mass Effect 2: I DON'T CARE IF IT'S A SUICIDE MISSION! I'M SAVING MY SQUAD, DAMNIT!
pauper

Post by pauper »

SplendidClaw wrote:I guess it's pretty rare that a video game can evoke a huge amount of emotion from me (outside of the norm), but here are some modern examples:

Persona 3: The ending. By the time I played through this game, I became attached to all of crew in the game. It does a really great job of having you spend lots of time with them and explore their individual personalities. The ending blew me away when I beat the game and it finally dawned on me :The main character just sacrificed his life to save his best friend's future, with the only stipulation being that he can see them one more time before his death. I guess I didn't see this type of ending happening, I thought the friends would unite with "anime friendship power" or something, and just save the world from the big bad. But nope, didn't happen. The game tells you, throughout the story, that the big bad simply CANNOT be killed. Even though the crew tried to take him out with their power, it ultimately proved useless until the main character made his sacrifice. I guess for me it made me think of a character who transfers to this school, has no memories of past friends or loved ones (maybe because by this point he doesn't have anyone that he really puts his trust into), makes a bunch of great friends in about 8 months, then sacrifices his life in order to ensure that they survive and live their lives as best as they can. Once I started thinking about if I would really do the same, given the situation, the feels got to me.

Dragon Age 1: The ending was.....so good! It tied up just about EVERY plot point in the game, and managed to talk about what happened to EVERYONE in your cast. Simply put, this proves that having an ending full of text that describes what happens to ALL of your party is much better than having a rendered CGI ending that only gives you a minute or two glimpse of what happens to them (coughdragonage2cough).

Mass Effect 2: I DON'T CARE IF IT'S A SUICIDE MISSION! I'M SAVING MY SQUAD, DAMNIT!
The first thing that happened in the suicide mission was that someone died, so then I tried to get em all killed. MWUAWHAHAH
Completed paths:
Hanako - Good ending
Shizune - Good ending
Emi - Good ending
Rin - Bad ending :$
Lilly - Bad and good ending

English isn't my first language, so I might make some mistakes when I write something ; )