Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sefera

Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

Post by Sefera »

KS is the game that evoked the most emotions in me. It's the first one which I can really relate to, and well-made to the point where I actually "miss" the game the moment I finished it. So, what are the other games that evoked strong emotions within you, and how do they hold up to KS? (Only in terms of the emotions of course, since it's nigh impossible to really compare an RPG to a VN fairly) The following is my own list.

To The Moon - It's an adventure game by Free Bird Games. It's a heartfelt adventure game with really atmospheric music, and the sad love story pulls at heartstrings. However, I feel that KS still works better at evoking emotions because it's relatable, and reminds me of my own past.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - When playing this game, it felt like I was right there with the protagonist adventuring with her. She is relatable, and is quite an accurate representation of youths nowadays. Once again, KS still rose more emotions in me because I ended up thinking that I'm interacting with the girls instead of Hisao.

Well, that's it I guess. I did play a couple other VNs before, but none as immersive as KS. I really hope that I will be able to experience more games like KS in the future. =)
PyramidSong

Re: Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

Post by PyramidSong »

For me, it would be Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. MGS is a series that I've grown up with and is very dear to me and the endings for both games (which I won't spoil) really got to me. Not as bad as KS got to me though. And your post reminds me that I really need to get around to playing To The Moon. :D
There was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Count me in then. I have my own MGS3, and while brilliant in many ways, it has also very emotional story. Something you wouldn't expect from a game about killing (which of course MGS isn't really, just might look like it for some).
I remember also Blade Runner game, though I was younger then, and probably easily impressed. And being a fan of the movie. I replayed it some time ago, and it seemed somewhat less what it used to be.
Chrono Trigger also comes to mind. Even all-time classic Final Fantasy VII didn't impact me as much.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Final Fantasy 6 , Heavy Rain , Mother 3 and the Metal Gear series all made me weep ... shhh don't tell anyone
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

Bastion is just brilliantly poignant, especially towards its climax.

It's not particularly sad or heart-wrenching, it just hits deep.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Facade is such a beautiful and emotional game. Ya should play it!
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

To The Moon is pretty great. Reives, the creator, is a a good "online friend" of mine and he helps and inspires me with my own game.

I know this has been said a hundred times before, but Clannad is the only other piece of media that made me cry (To The Moon was close too though), especially season 2.
Last edited by gRaViJa on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Draetheus

Post by Draetheus »

Bioshock: the ending where you save the little sisters. I d'awwed quite hard that day.
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

Agree about To the Moon. It managed to move me, and that's form someone who only got teary eyed once while playing Katawa Shoujo.
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
Panasonic_youth

Post by Panasonic_youth »

You should definitely check out Ico and Shadow of The Colossus. They are works of art. Two of my favorite video games of all time.
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

Another one for Bastion. Both possible endings hit pretty hard.

Mass Effect 2 was also pretty good at the finale if you were invested. Of course, you knew how it was going to turn out.

Crescendo made me tear up a little at some points, Private Nurse inflicted the first real case of dem feels on me.
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

Draetheus wrote:Bioshock: the ending where you save the little sisters. I d'awwed quite hard that day.
The ending of Bioshock 2 (the good ending and neutral ending) really hit me hard also. it was so beautiful T_T
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Asura's Wrath was pure awesomeness, yet it still managed to make me feel sad at times. Namely episode 12. Episode 18 was the most fun I had with a final boss battle since ... ever.

Final Fantasy I (the GBA version) managed to evoke emotion in me when I was in elementary school. Mostly because it was the first JRPG I ever played, but still. THAT EPIC FINAL BOSS!! He transformed! And the Space background! It was cliched, but it affected me because I was too young to know that it was cliched.

Sengoku Rance is a JRPG/VN hybrid I shall remember fondly because the character interactions were so well done (Ironic since a lot of said interaction was comedic sex) that when I had to save the world (Again), I saved the world not because saving the world is the point of almost all JRPGs. I saved it because I cared about the world I was saving, all flaws of it be damned.

Last but not least, Monster Girl Quest made me remember how much fun I had with JRPGs when I first found out about them. It's a nice homage to them while at the same time being very good in its own right. Any fan of old school JRPGs should play this game. Just try not to get raped. :P
Blicer

Post by Blicer »

To the moon

Dear esther.
Sefera

Post by Sefera »

Facade just made me feel awkward when I played it. Anyone else tried Facade before?