Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by metalangel »

Those could be symptoms of AvPD, desiring relationships but being terrified of rejection. SAD (social anxiety disorder) also seems probable, what with her nervous stammer when she's gotta go do something as one of several symptoms she displays.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

metalangel wrote:Those could be symptoms of AvPD, desiring relationships but being terrified of rejection. SAD (social anxiety disorder) also seems probable, what with her nervous stammer when she's gotta go do something as one of several symptoms she displays.
I think you're taking it way too far now...
I think hanako is just extremely shy And self conscious.
And, like Emi, she prevents people from getting too close to her due to her fear that she may suddenly lose them and be hurt. But she is evidently capable of getting close to people and making friends.
SAD does seem to make some sense though. I don't think doctors would diagnose her with AvPD and at best they might give her mild SAD.
But let's stop trying to attach dissibilities to Hanako.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I will say that Hanako can have minor mental disorders that require a therapist, but not mental illness.
Like, she is maybe schizoid (maybe unconsciously implied in the fandom with the tendency to give her strong but hidden sexual overtones like active masturbation or even the chocolate thing; "secret sexual interests" are associated with schizoid personnality) but completely outside the autism spectrum or schizophrenia, bipolarity,ect...
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Zarys wrote:I will say that Hanako can have minor mental disorders that require a therapist, but not mental illness.
Like, she is maybe schizoid (maybe unconsciously implied in the fandom with the tendency to give her strong but hidden sexual overtones like active masturbation or even the chocolate thing; "secret sexual interests" are associated with schizoid personnality) but completely outside the autism spectrum or schizophrenia, bipolarity,ect...
Just because you talk to a therapist doesn't mean you have a mental illness.

If she does have a mental illness, it's most likely along the lines of post traumatic stress syndrome.

As for the weird sexual desires, I just think you've been spending far too much time on the shimmie.
Not Dead Yet
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

It's not what i said ?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
Zarys wrote:I will say that Hanako can have minor mental disorders that require a therapist, but not mental illness.
As for the weird sexual desires, I just think you've been spending far too much time on the shimmie.
Yeah, the chocolate thing isn't actually canon. Surprising, right?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

SpunkySix wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Yeah, the chocolate thing isn't actually canon. Surprising, right?
I think the only one that is is the "Lemon scented anal lube"
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

in the fandom.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

You know, reading about avoidant personality disorder... from the signs and symptoms section of the Wikipedia article (I know, I know...), my emphasis:
Wikipedia wrote: Hypersensitivity to rejection/criticism
Self-imposed social isolation
Extreme shyness or anxiety in social situations, though the person feels a strong desire for close relationships[11]

Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus
Feelings of inadequacy
Severe low self-esteem
Self-loathing
Mistrust of others
Emotional distancing related to intimacy
Highly self-conscious
Self-critical about their problems relating to others
Problems in occupational functioning
Lonely self-perception, although others may find the relationship with them meaningful
Feeling inferior to others
In some extreme cases, agoraphobia
Uses fantasy as a form of escapism and to interrupt painful thoughts[12][13]
15 out of 16...

Or, let's look at diagnostic criteria:
The World Health Organization's ICD-10 lists avoidant personality disorder as (F60.6) anxious (avoidant) personality disorder.[1] It is characterized by at least four of the following:[24]

persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension;
belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others;
excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations;

unwillingness to become involved with people unless certain of being liked;
restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.

Associated features may include hypersensitivity to rejection and criticism.

It is a requirement of ICD-10 that a diagnosis of any specific personality disorder also satisfy a set of general personality disorder criteria.
(Which, I could see her meeting those criteria, too.)

Or...
The DSM-IV-TR also has an Avoidant Personality Disorder diagnosis. It refers in general to a widespread pattern of inhibition around people, feeling inadequate and being very sensitive to being evaluated negatively since early adulthood and occurring in a range of situations. In addition, four of seven specific criteria should be met, which are:

Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
Is unusually reluctant to take personal risk or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Potato

Post by Potato »

What precisely is the difference between a mental disorder and a mental illness?

What part of Hanako possessing sexuality (GASP) would even remotely suggest she's "schizoid"? That's the kind of notion I'd expect from a sexist or a heavily stereotyped gay man literally afraid of vaginas, to be blunt. :lol:

And what even is "active masturbation"? It's not exactly a passive activity in any context. And if "secret sexual interests" make a person schizoid then every last person in all of humankind is schizoid.

@FE: Hanako's behavior goes far beyond "just shy and self-conscious"...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:

What precisely is the difference between a mental disorder and a mental illness?

What part of Hanako possessing sexuality (GASP) would even remotely suggest she's "schizoid"? That's the kind of notion I'd expect from a sexist or a heavily stereotyped gay man literally afraid of vaginas, to be blunt. :lol:

And what even is "active masturbation"? It's not exactly a passive activity in any context. And if "secret sexual interests" make a person schizoid then every last person in all of humankind is schizoid.

@FE: Hanako's behavior goes far beyond "just shy and self-conscious"...

Well, she could have something minor that requires a psychiatrist (Like you can need a psychiatrist if you are depressed but it's don't makes you a mental ill) but no a mental ilness like skizophrenia; I don't know how explain that, there a nuance here in my native language.

The schizoid are known for a apparent lack of sexuality (or doens't seem the type to be very sexual), but have a fairly strong and fetishized sexuality.
So I just suggested how Hanako is represented in some fan art could be the unconscious reflection of this consideration from some fans. (the stuff of chocolate being greatly based on the idea that the more stuck-ass are actually the most perverse/weird in bed)
After personally, I don't see why she could not have desires, I don't even see why she would practice masturbation more than any other of the five girls (except Emi who have maybe more experience).

schizoid disorder is so low that few people as shy as she may not be.

&bhtooefr : Have you made a differential diagnosis with schizoid personality disorder ? it is advisable
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Zarys wrote:

Well, she could have something minor that requires a psychiatrist (Like you can need a psychiatrist if you are depressed but it's don't makes you a mental ill) but no a mental ilness like skizophrenia; I don't know how explain that, there a nuance here in my native language.

The schizoid are known for a apparent lack of sexuality (or doens't seem the type to be very sexual), but have a fairly strong and fetishized sexuality.
So I just suggested how Hanako is represented in some fan art could be the unconscious reflection of this consideration from some fans. (the stuff of chocolate being greatly based on the idea that the more stuck-ass are actually the most perverse/weird in bed)
After personally, I don't see why she could not have desires, I don't even see why she would practice masturbation more than any other of the five girls (except Emi who have maybe more experience).

schizoid disorder is so low that few people as shy as she may not be.

&bhtooefr : Have you made a differential diagnosis with schizoid personality disorder ? it is advisable
How is Rin going to masturbate?! I've been wondering? Can she reach down there with her feet?
Does she have a gigantic vibrator she controls with her mouth?
Last edited by LordMarluxia on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

LordMarluxia wrote:How is Rin going to masturbate?! I've been wondering? Can she reach down there with her feet?
In canon, she's shown trying to rub herself against the floor. Don't know about with her toes.

One can dream, though.
Last edited by SpunkySix on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

SpunkySix wrote:
LordMarluxia wrote:How is Rin going to masturbate?! I've been wondering? Can she reach down there with her feet?
In canon, she's shown trying to rub herself against the floor. Don't know about with her toes.

One can dream, though.
I'm guessing that counts as a spoiler... Right?
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Potato

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:Well, she could have something minor that requires a psychiatrist (Like you can need a psychiatrist if you are depressed but it's don't makes you a mental ill) but no a mental ilness like skizophrenia; I don't know how explain that, there a nuance here in my native language.
Personally, I would argue depression is a mental illness as much as the flu is a physical illness. They both make you feel like crap and create a detriment to life.
Last edited by Potato on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.