Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CharcoalWhite

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by CharcoalWhite »

Liminaut wrote:Charcoal --

My brother-in-law dropped out of high school when he was 16. He wound up getting a Ph.D. from MIT. When I was studying math at Wisconsin, the brightest student in the whole program was a Frenchman who had bombed out of school in France. Life goes on if you keep going on.
How on earth did they manage that? Forgive me if I sound naive, but all I have heard about college for the past four years is that you will go into great amounts of debt, and you wont get in anywhere unless you are pulling a 3.0 GPA minimum.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Plus, you might want to look up Jeri Ellsworth. (tl;dr: She's a high school and college dropout who does chip design. Yes, really.)

I'm not saying that flunking out of high school is a good thing, but it's not the end of the world.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

CharcoalWhite wrote:. I didn't post any of it on here in my first post, mostly because that thing was pretty long to begin with and I didn't really think people would want to read something even longer than that was, but in my earlier years of schooling, I excelled at math, so much so that I was working two years above my grade level in first grade. Remembering that is almost painful because it seemed like I had so much potential, yet I failed utterly.
This is pretty much what I've encountered, and as of next year I will be studying maths and statistics at university. I got a D in it at A-Level. I dunno how different the system is where you are, but even if you don't pass (and 70% is certainly encouraging :) ), it absolutely doesn't have to be the be-all-and-end-all.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

CharcoalWhite

Post by CharcoalWhite »

You guy are right, it wouldn't end me, but I have no idea how to proceed if I didn't graduate. Chances are I will, things have been working in my favor so far, I just need to keep on going. Thanks for the encouragement you all, it has eased my mind somewhat.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Hey, remember too, Egoraptor was a high school dropout as well. He even comments on how that has nothing to do with intelligence.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:Hey, remember too, Egoraptor was a high school dropout as well. He even comments on how that has nothing to do with intelligence.
Aye, it's not necessarilly down to how intellegent you are overall, but how smart you are on a certain subject.

I know that for a fact
Failed all 6 of my A-Levels, but take me to a Pub Quiz and I'll beast it ;)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

You can be intelligent but not academic - however, the world still recognizes academic success or having such big balls and confidence to be able to bluster your way to success. For every high school drop-out success story there's thousands sitting in trailer parks shooting at a wrecked car.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:You can be intelligent but not academic - however, the world still recognizes academic success or having such big balls and confidence to be able to bluster your way to success. For every high school drop-out success story there's thousands sitting in trailer parks shooting at a wrecked car.
Now if only Americathe world could go ahead and recognize that nobody wants a mountain of debt alongside their academic success.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:You can be intelligent but not academic - however, the world still recognizes academic success or having such big balls and confidence to be able to bluster your way to success. For every high school drop-out success story there's thousands sitting in trailer parks shooting at a wrecked car.
True- there still needs to be effort and talent there, you can't just drop out and sit around degenerating.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

My point is more that even if you have talent and effort, you just might not ever get the big break. That means you have to have something to fall back on, and lack of education limits those options.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:My point is more that even if you have talent and effort, you just might not ever get the big break. That means you have to have something to fall back on, and lack of education limits those options.
Ooookay, that makes sense too. Plan B's are nice, for sure.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

CharcoalWhite wrote:

My brother-in-law dropped out of high school when he was 16. He wound up getting a Ph.D. from MIT. When I was studying math at Wisconsin, the brightest student in the whole program was a Frenchman who had bombed out of school in France. Life goes on if you keep going on.
How on earth did they manage that? Forgive me if I sound naive, but all I have heard about college for the past four years is that you will go into great amounts of debt, and you wont get in anywhere unless you are pulling a 3.0 GPA minimum.
He got tired of dicking around, got into community college, did well enough to finish at a good four-year college, did well enough to get into a good master's program, then Ph.D. at MIT. One of the good things about grad school -- you can usually find a place that's willing to pay you to study.
CharcoalWhite

Post by CharcoalWhite »

Liminaut wrote:
CharcoalWhite wrote:

He got tired of dicking around, got into community college, did well enough to finish at a good four-year college, did well enough to get into a good master's program, then Ph.D. at MIT. One of the good things about grad school -- you can usually find a place that's willing to pay you to study.
Ah, I hadn't even considered community colleges. I didn't know they accepted people without a HS diploma.
SpunkySix wrote:
metalangel wrote:My point is more that even if you have talent and effort, you just might not ever get the big break. That means you have to have something to fall back on, and lack of education limits those options.
Ooookay, that makes sense too. Plan B's are nice, for sure.
I don't think I could ever have enough backup plans.
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

Yeah, I know of quite a few people that took HS equivalents at college in order to get where they needed to go. Most of the time I noticed that it was from extenuating circumstances, and I applauded them for pushing through.

As for suggestions, keep up with the study habits that have been working for you, and don't avoid homework. I hated Math back in HS, but I knew that the only way I was getting through it was a LOT of practice problems, and I managed to do decently.

Now, if my life could get back on track, that'll be helpful. About as likely as me doing fan fiction at the moment, anyway. Way too indecisive. At least the end goal hasn't changed... recently. :lol:
[fahsign]Velitation[/fahsign] Remember, it's just a game.
CharcoalWhite

Post by CharcoalWhite »

Velitation wrote:don't avoid homework.
Too late.
Though I have managed to gain some kind of a work ethic. Perhaps a bit too late for high school, but maybe I can pull myself together during community college. So I guess I have some kind of direction, which is good because until now, I had no idea what I would be doing after high school.