Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by yummines »

Total Destruction wrote:
Aili wrote:Thanks for the advice =) Best wishes to you, and I hope you're able to kick your last vice!
Last vice? Nah, not just yet. Don't wanna drop dead, you know. Just tobacco at the mo. Still need the booze, hahah. But yeah, I hope so, too. Quiting smoking sucks. If you ever start, don't ever quit. It'll kill ya. :D

Aili, there's some cool people here. Sound advice all around. Listen to 'em, and listen you YOU, ya dig?

EDIT: hakeuncutroil, that's a killer idea. Consider me down.
you know i have to ask, how do you get into smoking?
i tried a cigarette once. i hacked up a lung, and had chest pain.
not sure how thats addicting.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

hakeuncutroil wrote:Due to Circumstances, I will be giving out badges to anyone in this thread who wants one.
The badges are like this:
You can put whatever image you like on them, though.

Badges seem kind of... insubstantial. I have considered giving out something more interesting, such as glassware. However, it would be unfeasible to offer this to everyone who wanted one. I would only be able to give them to a few people. And it is also difficult to designate some people as more "worthy" of receiving such things. Even a lottery might be unpopular. So, badges are what I can produce in mass quantities with little trouble.

So, anyone want one?
That would be great. One just like that.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

yummines wrote:
Total Destruction wrote:
Aili wrote:Thanks for the advice =) Best wishes to you, and I hope you're able to kick your last vice!
Last vice? Nah, not just yet. Don't wanna drop dead, you know. Just tobacco at the mo. Still need the booze, hahah. But yeah, I hope so, too. Quiting smoking sucks. If you ever start, don't ever quit. It'll kill ya. :D

Aili, there's some cool people here. Sound advice all around. Listen to 'em, and listen you YOU, ya dig?

It isnt always that rough on people. First time I picked up a cig, I coughed maybe twice. That was it. Never had a problem. The hacking a lung up, chest pains, nothing like that. I got the dizzyness from the buzz, but even that wasnt that bad. Some of us it wasnt any work at all. We just picked it up, and were hooked.

Id like to say though, I have nearly quit myself. Still working on it, but very close.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
kushiro

Post by kushiro »

ArazelEternal wrote:
yummines wrote: you know i have to ask, how do you get into smoking?
It isnt always that rough on people. First time I picked up a cig, I coughed maybe twice. That was it. Never had a problem. The hacking a lung up, chest pains, nothing like that. I got the dizzyness from the buzz, but even that wasnt that bad. Some of us it wasnt any work at all. We just picked it up, and were hooked.

Id like to say though, I have nearly quit myself. Still working on it, but very close.
My reaction can be dependent on the type of cigarette, er, tobacco. Strangely enough, cigars and cigarillos don't bother me, but most actual cigarettes kill my lungs. I don't smoke, though, just tried once or twice and never saw what was good about it.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

yummines wrote:you know i have to ask, how do you get into smoking?
Can't speak for everyone, but it was really easy for me. My addictions, whether it be behaviors, activities, or substances, have always either fed into one another OR been used as a stepping stone when I give up something else. Terrible, I know, but I'm working on it. I picked up smoking after quitting something else. Had to fill the void, you know. Legitimately enjoyed smoking, too. Nothing starts off the day better than a cup of coffee and a cigarette.

But I figured I'd give it up because it's an EXPENSIVE habit, and I recently lost a family member to complications from emphysema. Figured I'd be kind to my wallet and to my loved ones, as I don't wanna put any of my family/friends through that kind of thing. (Hate to pull a Hisao and drop dead on everyone.) I'll tell ya, though, it's been rough. I'm not on Xanax anymore, and smoking was one of those things that killed anxiety like nothing else. Trying to quit's made me really tempermental and prone to blink-and-you'll-miss-it bouts of panic, but hey, I'm PHYSICALLY better, hahah. I'm running again and I'm eating more often, so that's a plus. :D

ArazelEternal: Keep your chin up. Smoking is by far the absolute motherfucker to stop. Don't be an idiot like me and go cold turkey. :lol:
... Danger.
Exbando

Post by Exbando »

yummines wrote:
Total Destruction wrote:

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with science in your brain, but it's been a while since my last science class. Never tried smoking, and I don't intend to, either. Only thing I'm addicted to is video games.
Hanako > Lilly = Emi > Shizune > Rin
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here
I have a fanfiction! It's pretty bad. I started another fanfic cause I'm stupid!
Aili

Post by Aili »

Sorry guys, I've never tried smoking, nor do I plan to =)

Now, I have some good news. I talked to her after school about her tendency to treat people like toys, and she...agreed with me in that subject. That has never happened before. But it feels good, man.

We kept on talking about that, and she told me that at the very least she would tell me when something bothers me - and that she would try to tell the person with whom she was problems with what's wrong, instead of just plain ignoring them.
She did tell me that she would keep on ignoring people who got angry with her after telling them what happened. Little steps, it seems. But at least it seems like she wants to change.

And I got a hug from her. Feels good, man.
Lilly > Misha> Shizune > Hanako > Emi > Rin
kushiro

Post by kushiro »

Congrats on the breakthrough!

IT does feel good, doesn't it? I get personal enjoyment from helping others, but damn, NO ONE likes a White Knight.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Aili wrote:Sorry guys, I've never tried smoking, nor do I plan to =)

Now, I have some good news. I talked to her after school about her tendency to treat people like toys, and she...agreed with me in that subject. That has never happened before. But it feels good, man.

We kept on talking about that, and she told me that at the very least she would tell me when something bothers me - and that she would try to tell the person with whom she was problems with what's wrong, instead of just plain ignoring them.
She did tell me that she would keep on ignoring people who got angry with her after telling them what happened. Little steps, it seems. But at least it seems like she wants to change.

And I got a hug from her. Feels good, man.
Thats how things are supposed to go. Im happy you went through with it, I realize how hard it can be to confront people (I know I cant for the life of me). :D
Redbullet612

Post by Redbullet612 »

I'd just like to say, before I type out my wall of blather, that reading through all of your stories over the last few days has done wonders for me. Between this thread, Katawa Shoujo, and my general reflection over the past few months of my past, I believe that I've broken through moreso than I ever have in the past. You guys have really helped me to "put everything in it's place" so to speak, so thank you all!

And now the blather. Word of warning, it's going to be long. Read if you want to, just need to vent all this out on something, and this seems to be the best place.

Well, I guess I'll start from the top. I was lucky enough to be born to good parents. They did everything that they could for me, Mom stayed home to raise me, while Dad worked at the nearby oil refinery for every penny he could bring home. I love them very much for that, but even so, it also brought about events that have stuck with me until now. And honestly they probably won't ever stop bothering me. Everything was well and fine for what I can remember up until I was about 6-8 years old. At the time I didn't understand, but now that I look back on it, it's a little clearer. My parents started drinking heavily, probably from stress, which made them fight a lot. It was a constant thing, every night I would lie in bed and hear them screaming back and forth, though soon enough it just became the normal routine and it stopped bothering me. Or at least it became more natural to me. Now, again, I love my parents. I know now why they did what they did, though I also know a lot of it was wrong, they really did try their best. They worked hard, just for my sake. They dropped their own life plans and lived just to raise me. And there are no words that I can use to express how grateful I am for that, even though I wish they hadn't given up so much. Because if they hadn't they could have avoided all the problems that came with it. Right about this time in my life, my father, who worked as Team Leader at the refinery by our house non-stop to bring in a good pay for us, was diagnosed with a degenerative disk in his neck. I only found out later that he had been born with a crooked spine, which made him prone to this ailment. Though even knowing this, he pushed himself over the limit, just to support the family, to support me. He could have either had the disk removed and replaced with metal, or he would have had to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He picked the former, just so he could continue working. Which he did, he got out of the hospital and everything seemed fine and well. But he kept working just as hard as he had been, which was a bad idea, as soon more of these disks had to be removed. He lost 3 in the end, and now he can't move his neck since it's pretty much held together by metal rods now. I still remember going to visit him in the hospital with my mother when I was little, he had tubes everywhere and he looked nearly dead, probably from heavy doses of morphine. It was painful to see, and I know that sight will be burned into my memory until the day I die. In between the surgeries something else happened as well. Dad and my mother got into fighting and drinking again, and it ended in Mom shoving my father away, causing him to trip and fall over. I remember that night quite clearly. I heard a huge crash and they both stopped talking after arguing right up until that point. I remember being terrified, jumping out of bed and running down the hall to see my father (who's quite a big man, mind you. About 6"2' or so, and bulky) half laid out on the floor, propped up with his back to the wall. He was just staring. I'd never seen him ever look like that. His eyes were empty of all life. I thought for a second he was dead, which scared me even more of course, but he wasn't. To this day I don't know what he was thinking right then. Maybe he was angry at Mom. Or, maybe he was ashamed that I saw him like that and froze up. I'll probably never know. Anyway, I immediately grabbed a phone and asked if I should call an ambulance because of his neck, and in a burst of rage he grabbed the phone and huffed it at a wall. The next day though, he felt so bad about it that he told me to stay home from school if I wanted to, so I did ( I was a kid, after all. Wouldn't pass that up. :P) But we never really acted the same around each other. Even today, he's there for me, but it still seems to me that he feels something. Like he's too ashamed still to even talk to me like a father should. He lost his job at the refinery as well, and because of his disability, he never got another one. He lost all hope for himself. His disability cheques were adequate though, so we could keep our home. But he was never the same man after all that.

And then there was school, which was different. I never really had a problem in school. I was always the tallest kid in my class, but I rarely smiled and never really hung around anyone else besides my one closest friend, who'd have me over to his house a lot to hang out and play video games. I just didn't like people, I wanted to stay in my own little world. It was a nice place where I didn't have to be afraid of anything or anyone. So elementary school was uneventful. Now, about the time I got out of elementary school, my mother had to have a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), and then after that she suffered a blood clot in her lung, which luckily was caught before anything bad happened. In that time that she was in the hospital, it was just me and Dad. He drank, a lot. More than I've ever seen him drink. He didn't cook anything, he ordered out for me instead, and he was never around. He didn't have the evil father thing going on though, more like... more like Tomoya's father in Clannad. Except his wife wasn't dead. But at the time it probably seemed like destiny was giving him a great big F U after everything that had happened. That lasted a month or so, and eventually Mom came home. Well, kinda. I can't remember why, but she stayed with her parents for a bit... Might have been marriage related, or might have just been for her nerves after the operations. Maybe I blocked it out, I don't know. But she ended up with huge anxiety problems. Like, Hanako anxiety problems. Which I later picked up as well. She couldn't be out around people, she hated it. So she stayed home all the time. Just to put it into perspective, I was about 10 or 12. She's only just getting out and looking for a job now, and I'm 20, already graduated, and I've moved away to a different city. It's that bad. Anyway, sometime after that I managed to get into grade 6. I fucking hated grade 6. Worst time of my life. First off, I began to develop serious anxiety problems. I was afraid of people too by this point. I could stand being around them, though I much preferred being alone, but I especially hated being picked by teachers in class to read, or being given any attention at all. Now, there were these idiots in my class who had realized that I was shy (probably wasn't hard with my anxiety issues practically seeping out everywhere) and so they took advantage of it. They took my stuff, made fun of me, that sort of thing. Though for the most part, I blocked them out. After everything that had happened up to that point, those runts meant very little to me in life. Still though, I did bring it up once to my teacher. Big mistake, as right after talking to her, she brought them out and got them to apologize to me. Needless to say the name calling and crap continued through the remainder of that year. Then there was grade 7. That's when things turned around drastically. I met this other guy in my class after being moved for talking to this acquaintance of mine. He was an oddball, the type of person who didn't give a damn and said what he wanted, even when it sounded dumb. We hit it off immediately, he introduced me to his friends, and soon enough I had a big group of 8 caring friends who I'd regularly hang out with when I could. I still have a photo of us all grouped together, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy whenever I look at it. Though one thing that still puzzles me today is that for about a month and a half in that grade, I had random bouts of not being able to breathe. Hyperventilating, I mean. I was in and out of the hospital a lot that year over it, but the doctors couldn't find a cause. It was frightening, and even now I get it every now and then. I just blame it on nerves though. Eventually, I got into the wonderful years of high school, but nothing really happened for the first few years, besides learning to overcome my fear of people a bit. I could stand talking to people now, at least. Though I still couldn't maintain eye contact without looking away or at the ground. Now, high school was.. weird. I had never had a goal or purpose, no drive for anything in high school. I just wandered around the school, or around town, running into people randomly, chatting with them, then wandering to the next group. (Another Clannad reference here, but picture Tomoya's attitude about school. Except girls weren't all over me.) Though I couldn't bring myself to care about anyone. It felt like I simply lacked the ability to care, to feel for anyone after spending so many years trying to avoid people. I thought I was fine then, but in hindsight, I was dead. Just going through the motions, coming home, then going to sleep just to repeat it the next day. It was a hollow existence. Then grade 11 came, and that's when I met this girl, who for this story of mine I'll refer to as Natalie. We met randomly in a social arts class (oh, the irony). I had been reading the S.D. Perry Resident Evil novels, and I overheard her talking to one of my buddies about Resident Evil. First off, I was dazed and confused that a girl was talking about kicking zombie ass. And second off, I was put off when I saw her. She was this cute, short blonde girl sitting a few rows behind me. I was expecting the stereotypical nerdy girl honestly (Please don't hate me, I try not to judge!!) I was bored that class, so I decided to jump into the conversation. That was the one best decision I've ever made. At first I expected her to ignore me, or to be at least a bit put off by someone just joining in that she didn't know. But nope, she talked to me like we had been friends for years. It was unbelievable. All my life, up until then, I just thought that human nature was to be cold hearted and uncaring. But she was the very opposite. We became friends that very second, and we sat beside each other from that moment on whenever we had classes together, and we ended up sticking around each other at lunch. Hell, I spent 90% of that following summer break with her. She re-introduced me to anime, and we shared that hobby together. But more importantly, she went out of her way to try to help me. She saw that I was.. broken (to be very melodramatic). We would talk over MSN every night, and we'd have these deep, meaningful conversations. Though I didn't tell her about my past until about 4 years into our friendship, she seemed to just pick up on it from my behaviour. it was nice.

And yes, I did ask her out, and I was friendzoned immediately. She knew it was coming, everyone did. I wasn't even going to ask, but it was bothering me so much that in the end I had to. That's a whole other story, but it's also pretty run-of-the-mill. She was a lesbian, that's really all I need to say. However, the worst part came after that. She started smoking, drinking, and getting high out of depression due to a previous relationship. And so, being as protective of her as I came to be, I started to do the same. I couldn't let this girl destroy herself alone. I'd talked to her, she refused to stop, so then I decided to do the same thing in hopes that she'd snap out of it and quit that crap. And so I jumped into the fire with her, so to speak. Though, It was also an excuse on my end to stop caring about life for a while. I didn't plan to do that stuff for long, but everything from my past had been weighing me down for so fucking long that I just wanted an escape. And that was it. Only marijuana though, nothing hard. I knew my limits, and anything more would have ended me. But my plan worked eventually, and we ended up both guilt-tripping each other into quitting all of that and starting our normal lives again. After that, there isn't really much to say. Both of us live together now, sharing an apartment. Which is nice, as we support each other all the time. I still have my issues, and I think just now I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I probably will never rid myself of them. But I can embrace them as parts of me, which is what I do now. And it's made a fair bit of difference for me. She also helped me get a job for a retail electronics company, so now I'm a salesman. Which is pretty damn funny, considering that I still have my fear of people. I've learned to handle it now for situations like that, and I can put on a good act if I have to talk to people. I was surprisingly good at Theatre Arts in school, so I just try to play the role of a good salesperson and my anxiety goes away. But only in controlled situations, when I get an angry customer or even a sketchy looking guy in my store, I freeze up and start stammering when I speak. Which is terrible when you're trying to thwart a shoplifter. ("S-Sir, I'm going to h-have to ask you to l-leave the store." Yeah.. intimidating.) I've actually been thinking about quitting and getting a job out of the customer service field, since I really don't enjoy it for obvious reasons. Preferably someplace quieter.

Anyway, I've been thinking about all of this my whole life really, but the reasons behind my own mental scaring really hit me not too long ago. I was out for a night-time walk, and it just smacked me in the face like a brick wall. I've felt guilty, my entire life, for what my parents went through. I could never place it until now, but I've always had that feeling that I did something wrong since I was young, but it was only when that thought came to mind that it all suddenly clicked. I can't stop thinking that what happened to them was my fault. And that's why I've always avoided people, I think. Not because I'm afraid of them, but because I don't want to be a bother to anyone else. Hell, I get really, REALLY upset when I find out that I've burdened someone else. That explains that as well. My mother had a great life, lots of friends, good job, all that stuff. And then she cut all that just to move to a new city and raise me. And Dad worked so fucking hard for a good income that he just about killed himself. He tore himself apart for me. They both did. Neither of them even wanted to stay married. I know that for a fact, I've overheard them say it multiple times through the years. But they've stayed in a dead marriage for me. That's been even harder on me, because I've felt guilty for that my whole life as well. I've kept two people in a miserable marriage for 20 years. And they tore themselves apart for me, practically ended their lives. That's just not fair. I mean, yeah, I do realize that I'm not to blame for it in reality. But still, I can't help but think that if I hadn't have been born, everyone would have been happier.

But yeah, that's my story. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overcome with despair over here. It's depressing, though it's something my mind tends to bury. Even now, after realizing it, it won't hit me unless I intentionally dig up the thought again or somebody says something that drudges it up. OR I play a game like KS that also brings those kinds of memories up. :P But when it hits me, I have to go off on my own if I'm not already. I just about broke down when I first realized it that night. But all that aside, I'm in a fairly comfortable place in my life now. I just moved in with that girl, in a new city. My biggest hurdle here is making friends. I really want to meet new people, but it's harder for me than most other "normal" people, given the fact that I tend to shy away from the public. I've been thinking of joining something. Like Karate, I used to enjoy that as a kid. And getting involved would certainly help me meet people I think. Maybe some of you have been in this boat and can give me a few pointers on how an introvert can meet new people. Also, thank you all for taking the time to read this, I know not everyone will of course, that's a lot of rambling up there. But it's damn nice to get it all off my chest. I think this is the first time I've actually told my whole story to anyone at all. I don't think I've even told my best friend and room-mate here everything that I've said in this post. It feels nice.
Last edited by Redbullet612 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Aili: Good on ya! Seize the day!

Redbullet612: Good LORD, man. That's quite a story. I feel where you're coming from, but DAMN. Once again, I feel like a chump, but that's not the issue, hahah. Takes guts to step outta yourself and see whassup, and even more to post to crazy boys and girls like us with nothing more than catharsis on the line. But hey, from what I can tell, you're a smart, well-put-together guy who's been dealt some crazy circumstances, but can RECKINIZE and learn from it.

Thanks for the storytime. Much as I am still a n00b on the boards, welcome to the fold, man. Cheers!
... Danger.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

@Redbullet612:
Yeah, it is easier to tell the story to random strangers on the internet whom you probably won't meet in RL. This also means you probably won't alienate your friends/family with your thoughts... It is the same for me in that regard, that only you guys know the full story. My parents only know the bigger incidents from primary school, they still don't know the whole story (and I'm pretty open about it with my mum)... Call me a romantic but I hope to someday meet a girl with whom I can have a long serious relationship and over time tell my story.

One thing I can strongly recommend is doing activities with people that are okay (not necessarily friends). Invite your friends to bring their friends. Often they'll pick the friends whom they think will 'click' with you and that way you can meet new people while in the comfort zone of existing friends. I for example sometimes organize bowling with my friends and on a couple occasions they brought a friend with them, all friendly people. Having something organized like bowling or snooker gives you a shared topic as well as a distraction, so you're not focused on chatting but still have a topic to chat about.
Redbullet612

Post by Redbullet612 »

@Total Destruction: Yeah, it's somewhat complicated. Which is why I never bring it up, ever. I HATE pity. (Yes, Hanako's bad ending made me feel especially like a big bag of dicks :P) I've come to look at every bad thing in life as something that makes you stronger, but by telling anyone in RL about this, I fear I'd end up having people look down on me or think differently of me. But you all seem very open and accepting on here, and I've wanted to get that load off for years and years now. So thank you all for this opportunity! :) This is an amazing thread, and your all amazing people! You can bet I'll be sticking around on here to give my thoughts and advice to you guys too! :)

And I do believe that 4LS needs to get an award or something for making a game that actually helps it's players understand themselves a little better. Though now I have a bad, bad case of the "Mah Waifu"s for Hanako. DAMN IT, WAI U GOTTA BE FICTIONAL AND YET HAVE MORE DEPTH THAN ANYONE I'VE EVER MET IN LIFE?! 4LS, you tease us! ;-;

@Kutagh:
Yeah, I hear ya. I share that hope, that one day I can find a girl who I can be happy with and who will listen to my story without feeling sorry for me or thinking any less of me. And hopefully she'd trust me enough to tell me of any of her traumas.

And yeah, that's a good plan. Though I only have one friend here now, my room-mate, and her friends and I have never really hit it off. I just need to force myself out into different things for a while, and just do my best to act when I take an interest in someone. I'm usually not the one who starts a friendship, except that one with the girl I already mentioned. And that took quite a bit of effort on my part just to talk to her. But, hey, it's a challenge. If I can do this, then that's just another obstacle I've overcome. :)
Last edited by Redbullet612 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Heh, I agree on the 'no-pity-pl0x' part. I'm content with where I am right now. There's no point feeling pity for me because I'm deaf, I managed to go further than most peers I know. I'm at university, doing what I like. I got plenty of spare time (though deadlines can be a pain in the ass as Emi knows? :P ) and I enjoy spending them mostly like a gaming nerd (Diablo 3 ftw).

And yeah, as I said before: For social contacts, you need to take initiative. People nowadays are quite reserved. Those bowling days I organized? I'm the only one suggesting them, organizing them and so on in my friends group. What a lazy bunch :lol: But it is fun! And it would be mainly the organizing part, during the actual activity you can be a bit quieter, relax a bit... But yeah, you need to get your initial group of friends first, for which doing a sport (karate for example) could work. Myself, I have been on volleyball for a while, but I haven't really gotten any friends from it (not in touch with any of them anymore). But it could be different for you. Good luck anyway :)
Redbullet612

Post by Redbullet612 »

Kutagh wrote:Heh, I agree on the 'no-pity-pl0x' part. I'm content with where I am right now. There's no point feeling pity for me because I'm deaf, I managed to go further than most peers I know. I'm at university, doing what I like. I got plenty of spare time (though deadlines can be a pain in the ass as Emi knows? :P ) and I enjoy spending them mostly like a gaming nerd (Diablo 3 ftw).

And yeah, as I said before: For social contacts, you need to take initiative. People nowadays are quite reserved. Those bowling days I organized? I'm the only one suggesting them, organizing them and so on in my friends group. What a lazy bunch :lol: But it is fun! And it would be mainly the organizing part, during the actual activity you can be a bit quieter, relax a bit... But yeah, you need to get your initial group of friends first, for which doing a sport (karate for example) could work. Myself, I have been on volleyball for a while, but I haven't really gotten any friends from it (not in touch with any of them anymore). But it could be different for you. Good luck anyway :)
Exactly, I do my best to never show anyone pity. It's like the worst type of condescension. And man oh man, I used to love to bowl. Such a relaxing and fun way to pass the time. Don't need to talk much or worry about keeping conversation going, as everyone's focused on the game at hand, and it was always fun for everyone. I used to be pretty good too, if I do say so myself. Though I only went bowling now and then growing up. :P

Edit: I'd just like to add before I go off for another wonderful day of customer service that anime helped me out a ton as well! It sounds lame, but shows like Clannad, and Gurren Lagann really helped me to deal with my problems. Even now when I need to force myself out of my comfort zone, I think "Kick reason to the curb and go beyond the impossible! That's how team Gurren rolls!". A bit lame, but effective! xD