Most Physically Attractive Girl

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Which of the girls in Katawa Shoujo is the most physically attractive?

Emi Ibarazaki
375
12%
Hanako Ikezawa
547
17%
Lilly Satou
943
29%
Rin Tezuka
144
4%
Shizune Hakamichi
424
13%
Shiina “Misha” Mikado
254
8%
Yuuko Shirakawa
58
2%
Akira Satou
89
3%
Miki Miura
202
6%
Mrs Meiko Ibarazaki
168
5%
Sae Saionji (Nomiya's friend)
15
0%
 
Total votes: 3219

User avatar
Mugendai
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Mugendai » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:20 am

I find that if you see the person on a weekly or daily basis, you just ignore that person's scars rather automatically, even if they look much worse than what you'd find on Google Images. Who they are and what they do tend to be more important than how they look.

But we're discussing physical attractiveness, and I must say that I find Hanako's scars relatively minor in comparison to what I've seen, at least according to the game's art representing her. Her physical form hasn't even been affected, and the scars only change what is on the surface of half of her face; the color and texture of her skin. The rest of the face, like her eyes and nose, have been left intact. Maybe if it was known she was missing her right eye (which she isn't) then she probably wouldn't be as likely to earn second place on the poll.

I don't even consider her scars to be "ugly". They're just another facial trait to me; traits being those things that set anyone apart from other people. Sure, the scars may look quite different and more severe if she was a real life girl, but I don't think most people here cast their votes thinking about how any of the characters would look IRL. Edit: How the scars would look IRL is quite debatable, also.
Image
Completed routes in order: Emi, Kenji, Hanako, Rin

StagedPhantom
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:53 am

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by StagedPhantom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 am

I adamantly voted for Hanako. To me she's the most beautiful both outside and in.

Now here are my reasons and a little background as to why:

I was basically perusing the internet looking at Raita's work's. I'm just really into his character and art design, especially the long-dark haired type. Anyways, I stumble upon his Katawa Shoujo image that started it all and became a little curious. I gave it a quick glance and see the prototype Hanako in the middle, and all of a sudden a heart-string is struck. It's a little hard to describe, but I'll explain this a little later.

To fuel my curiosity, much like many others would, I searched the internet and eventually came to the Katawa Shoujo website. It's the first I heard of an English VN, but I was into playing eroge's (mainly for the pornography aspect), so I decided to give the game a try.

After completing the torrent, I fired up the game. The first time I saw Hanako in game, I fell in love with the design. As expected, I would complete her route. By the end of it, I've been reduced to tears and have become even infatuated with character design.

Now for what I think is the reason as to my gravitation towards Hanako. Although, I don't have any scarring to the extent Hanako has or anything close to her backstory, I have what is called a Becker's Nevus on the right side of my face. It's basically a large hyper-pigmentation (mole or darkening of the skin). This mark started to gradually appear in my senior high school and hadn't stopped until maybe a year later. It was drastic enough that I became extremely self-conscious. The right side of my face, no longer looked like how I was prior to the mark. I'm now 25 and am still living with the mark. As far as I know, there's no remedy because it's superficial and the chance of having the mark on your face is very slim (usually appears somewhere on guys' torso). I'll cut it here for now to save for another post on another thread.

It may be because I'm being a little narcissist, but when I saw Hanako within Katawa Shoujo, it was as if finding someone of your same species for the first time. Someone you can see parts of yourself in you just can't in others. Someone you can truly relate to. Unfortunately, I came to the realization it's just a game.

Sorry, a little unsure how to end this, but again, my vote is for Hanako. I see many parts of myself in her character both outwardly and in. Plus, she's got purple hair and eyes and purple is definitely my favorite color >_<. I'll definitely give the other girls a chance and try their routes. However, it's definitely going to be hard prying me from my initial decision. Also, pleased to meet you all, as this is my first post.

User avatar
Titus
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Titus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:32 am

Oddball wrote:
Well, since people usually notice the superficial first and can be horrified at grotesque appearances I am glad you didn't give a shit. Oh hell no I don't believe you, people may get used to things over time but absolutely not caring at all? Yea...there's something you're not telling me.
Maybe he's (she's?) just not as superficial as you.
Maybe everyone's the Pope too and I'm the only person that notices differences more than others.
She said it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Nobody should be defined by their injuries. Just because somebody has bad scars or a disability doesn't mean you should treat that as their defining characteristic. You treat them as a person first. Maybe this person has certain needs that others don't, but then again disabilities or not, everybody needs help with something.
The physical traits that can limit a person or easily mark them out doesn't define them? People are defined inwardly and outwardly, that it's so mean to include physical appearances is just too bad. It's really like people are trying to forget the issue, not accept it for what it is.
Also, my dad would punch you in the face if you tried to say the most important thing about him was his missing leg and the bad scars on his remaining one.
Then I'll just define him by his anger issues :? :mrgreen: I don't want to go into your father's past if that will later on offend you or drag us into a shit throwing war.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?

User avatar
Mugendai
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Mugendai » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:26 am

Titus wrote:
Oddball wrote: Maybe he's (she's?) just not as superficial as you.
Maybe everyone's the Pope too and I'm the only person that notices differences more than others.
Not everyone cares that much about appearances, either. Some people do, some people don't.
Titus wrote:
She said it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Nobody should be defined by their injuries. Just because somebody has bad scars or a disability doesn't mean you should treat that as their defining characteristic. You treat them as a person first. Maybe this person has certain needs that others don't, but then again disabilities or not, everybody needs help with something.
The physical traits that can limit a person or easily mark them out doesn't define them? People are defined inwardly and outwardly, that it's so mean to include physical appearances is just too bad. It's really like people are trying to forget the issue, not accept it for what it is.
I have severe hearing loss in both ears. I freely admit that as a trait of mine, and it had a huge impact on my life, but would I say it defines me? Is it the most important thing about me? No. I get around it on a daily basis, and it doesn't really affect me that much anymore, so one could say that I sometimes forget I have it. Here on the Internet, it doesn't even matter at all. I consider personality much more important in a person compared to how well they can hear.

I'm not arguing for completely ignoring that a person has a disability, or pretending their disability doesn't exist, but I'm arguing that often, it just is the least important thing about them. It is a trait to be sure, but does it always really have such an impact? It doesn't stop Emi or enough amputees in real life with prostheses from running, it doesn't stop Shizune and most deaf people from being able to communicate, and it doesn't stop the many fans of Hanako from falling in love with her.
Image
Completed routes in order: Emi, Kenji, Hanako, Rin

User avatar
fabio.salvador
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by fabio.salvador » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 pm

I almost changed my vote from hanako to Misha after seeing the scars in a real person (niki lauda). But...

Why Misha? She´s not skinny like the others...

But I would choose, now, Lily.
If I were free to choose, whenever any character did anything to hurt Hanako, I would be able to call that person outdoors and the game screen would change to Street-Fighter-esque mode.

themocaw
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by themocaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

fabio.salvador wrote:Why Misha? She´s not skinny like the others...
Answered your own question right there.

Misha's in that sweet spot between "too skinny" and "definitely fat," wherein lies the huggable valley known as "just right."

User avatar
ShadeHaven
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by ShadeHaven » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm

fabio.salvador wrote:Why Misha? She´s not skinny like the others...
Personal preference, but that's not exactly a negative in my book either.
Last edited by ShadeHaven on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ArazelEternal
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Anywhere, as long as Hanako is by my side...
Contact:

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by ArazelEternal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Oddball wrote:
Well, since people usually notice the superficial first and can be horrified at grotesque appearances I am glad you didn't give a shit. Oh hell no I don't believe you, people may get used to things over time but absolutely not caring at all? Yea...there's something you're not telling me.
Maybe he's (she's?) just not as superficial as you.
I've seen worse than what google images show, it'd be unfair to the person if I'd described him but it wasn't a pretty sight and certainly those wounds didn't heal. People just wont ignore his scars, and unlike Hanako he can't hide with with his almost non existent hair.
Interesting. I feel you and me come from opposite ends of the spectrum in past experiences. You've know somebody that was badly burned, it horrified you, and you automatically think of those experiences when dealing with a new character. Myself, I've seen horrible scars and not thought much of them, therefore I find it easier to ignore when other situation come up.
Just like that "elephant in the room" part with Yuuko. She basically says to ignore it or to not treat it for what it is. You can accept it as a part of a person as a whole but goddamnit, if that disability defines so much of who you are don't treat it as if it wasn't.
She said it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Nobody should be defined by their injuries. Just because somebody has bad scars or a disability doesn't mean you should treat that as their defining characteristic. You treat them as a person first. Maybe this person has certain needs that others don't, but then again disabilities or not, everybody needs help with something.

Also, my dad would punch you in the face if you tried to say the most important thing about him was his missing leg and the bad scars on his remaining one.
Thank you. Youve described my thoughts on this very well.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.

User avatar
fabio.salvador
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by fabio.salvador » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:03 pm

When i said
Why misha? She´s not skinny like the others
, I was in fact asking a rethorical question, which I answered myself... her non-skinnyness is the main reason I liked her. She seems to be kinda... ya know... big breasts and a hands-filling, round, butt.
If I were free to choose, whenever any character did anything to hurt Hanako, I would be able to call that person outdoors and the game screen would change to Street-Fighter-esque mode.

User avatar
Mirrormn
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Mirrormn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 pm

This discussion is getting a little too "you have to look past a person's outward appearance to the beautiful person within"-ish for a thread specifically calling us to judge the girls solely on their appearance. You'd be a fool to claim that Hanako's scars are not one of the major defining characteristics of her appearance. I, personally, just don't think the scars themselves are particularly unattractive, especially how they are depicted in the game art. I factor them into my physical attraction equation, and Hanako still comes out on top.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune

User avatar
Joshp9690
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Joshp9690 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm stuck in the uncanny(?) valley between Misa and Hanako. Goddamnit Joshua, why can't you just decide?
Image
Image

User avatar
Titus
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Titus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 am

Mugendai wrote:
Titus wrote:
Oddball wrote: Maybe he's (she's?) just not as superficial as you.
Maybe everyone's the Pope too and I'm the only person that notices differences more than others.
Not everyone cares that much about appearances, either. Some people do, some people don't.
Titus wrote:
She said it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Nobody should be defined by their injuries. Just because somebody has bad scars or a disability doesn't mean you should treat that as their defining characteristic. You treat them as a person first. Maybe this person has certain needs that others don't, but then again disabilities or not, everybody needs help with something.
The physical traits that can limit a person or easily mark them out doesn't define them? People are defined inwardly and outwardly, that it's so mean to include physical appearances is just too bad. It's really like people are trying to forget the issue, not accept it for what it is.
I have severe hearing loss in both ears. I freely admit that as a trait of mine, and it had a huge impact on my life, but would I say it defines me? Is it the most important thing about me? No. I get around it on a daily basis, and it doesn't really affect me that much anymore, so one could say that I sometimes forget I have it. Here on the Internet, it doesn't even matter at all. I consider personality much more important in a person compared to how well they can hear.

I'm not arguing for completely ignoring that a person has a disability, or pretending their disability doesn't exist, but I'm arguing that often, it just is the least important thing about them. It is a trait to be sure, but does it always really have such an impact? It doesn't stop Emi or enough amputees in real life with prostheses from running, it doesn't stop Shizune and most deaf people from being able to communicate, and it doesn't stop the many fans of Hanako from falling in love with her.
On the physical subject about people, I say yes a disability counts for alot. That they need crutches to function as an average person would, completing some task, is very defining of someone. Some people are extraordinary, that have no hands but still paint, but I seriously wont ask someone the with the same predicament to draw me something, or ask a blind person if they like my photographs. But still about Hanako, these people who are in "love" with her are unreal, art really doesn't portray what fire can do to flesh. Whatever, I admit that her art looks cute too.

Ho, look at this. Have I failed to learn anything from Katawa Shoujo? k, I take everything I said back.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?

User avatar
Danze
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 am

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by Danze » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 am

Personal favorite is Emi, but as far as most physically attractive goes, I'd probably go with Lilly.
"The last thing you'll never see"

User avatar
inquisitivenegro
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 am
Location: In the Pacific

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by inquisitivenegro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 am

geekahedron wrote:
danyo wrote:Akira, she's like lilly, only ( at least seems so ) to be a bit more sportive build and I'm not a big breast kinda guy :P Also, woman in suits are hot.
This, I like sporty types and not big breasts, but I had to call a tie between Emi and Akira...
I see what you did there
$50 says I live more South than all of you

User avatar
basmimarsinan
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Most Physically Attractive Girl

Post by basmimarsinan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:01 am

My choice is split between Shizune and Lily but if I have to choose one, I would say Shizune.
Last edited by basmimarsinan on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply