Jung-Myers-Briggs psychological types for KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Palas

Jung-Myers-Briggs psychological types for KS

Post by Palas »

Has anyone here ever wondered what the results would be if any of the girls did that 4-letter-acronym personality test?

According to it, there are 4 types of temperaments: Protector, Creator, Intellectual and Visionarie, each of them having 4 subtypes: Overseer, Supporter, Examiner and Defender for the first; Persuader, Entertainer, Craftsman and Artist for the second; Chief, Originator, Strategist and Engineer for the third; and Mentor, Advocate, Confidant and Dreamer for the last.

Each of these psychological types are identified by 4 letters that describe their behaviour: either you are E (extraverted) or I (introverted); S (sensitive) or N (intuitive); T (thinker) or F (feeler); and J (of judging nature) or P (of perceiving nature). So~! let's get these acronyms done for each of the girls - or any character, actually. It's just that we have the most information about the 6 of them.

Wild guesses next.

Misha: ENFP, the Advocate. Eh, I guess that's interesting. I thought of her as an Entertainer (ESFP) but the Intuitive trait fits her best, I guess.
Rin: ISFP, the Artist. It... figures?
Emi: ESFJ, the Supporter. Oh well. Doesn't really looks like her, does it?
Shizune: ENTJ, the Chief. Don't tell me.
Hanako: INFP, the Dreamer. Kinda fits, to me.
Lilly: ISTJ, the Crafts(wo)man. Don't know how this happened. The STJ part is because of all the "TELL HER THE TRUTH" stuff, but she's not really extraverted, is she?

-------------------------

Please prove me wrong. And do talk about how outdated these teories about 16 psychological types are outdated. I've seen psychologists around on the forums, they'll be outraged when they see this.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
newnar

Re: Jung-Myers-Briggs psychological types for KS

Post by newnar »

I am a former INTP turned INTJ.
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

DrSkulk wrote:Applying an archetype to a person is easy if you know their personality well enough. You don't need fancy names like the Overseer or the Artist to do so. You just need to know the four parameters very well.

I'm sure this model is not a perfect human personality model, but I've found in the past - and certainly now also - that this model fits astoundingly well. (F.Y.I. When I first took the test I was an INTP, and then I became an INFP, and now I think I am ISTP.)

Anyways, I will now attempt to properly label the 6 heroines of this game. Criticisms are welcome; after all, I'm not into psychology in any way, I just happen to know this model pretty darn well.

5. Rin (INTP)
E or I - I (She's not exactly a social butterfly :lol:)
S or N - N (Head in the clouds...)
T or F - T (Very analytical. The occasional bouts of compassion is aided by an external influence. Cold pills anyone?)
J or P - P (Just going with the flow...)
Spot on for all the characters as far as I can tell.. except.
I can't see Rin as INTP.
Personally, I'd be inclined to say INFP.

INFP's:(Link)
Quiet and reserved. Generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations.
More abstract than concrete. Focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details, and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.
Value personal considerations above objective criteria. When making decisions, they often give more weight to social implications than to logic.I doubt anyone would ever accuse Rin of being Logical. :lol:
Withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

Anyone with a psychology background care to wade into the discussion and give us a more solid answer?
For Queen and Country
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

I can't deny that Rin says what she has on her mind. Regardless of how it may be received by the people around her.
There can be no doubt that Rin is IN*P but defining T or F that's a stumbling block for me.
Maybe I need to play through Rin's route a couple more times.
For Queen and Country
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palas

Post by Palas »

Excuse me, kind sirs, but I beg to differ on Rin's matter. But nor the T or F issue.

I see her as an S (no pun pls) rather than an N. That's mostly because how she acts to get inspiration and what she even gets inspiration for. When she needed it, she didn't go for "oh the small beautiful things in life" or what's behind the scenes in the play of life. No. Her intentions involved destroying oneself and feeling on her skin anything that would make her paint better stuff. Also, even though she is the only one to see the meaning behind her paintings, she makes them basically to feel alive through facing her own expressions in the concrete world.

Further, I can't see her as either INTP or an INFP because the former is all about sctructuring realities (and Rin's thinking patterns are nothing if not highly non-structural)and the latter is all about whining at how cruel the world is. She's nothing like that either.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brasse

Post by Brasse »

Shizune is doubtlessly an ENTJ to me, which is a shame, since this KS-unrelated pic would fit perfectly with her if she is an INTJ :(
I say, additional crackfics are in order.

Shizune>Lilly>Rin>Misha>Emi>Kenji>Hanako.
Palas

Post by Palas »

DrSkulk wrote:I think you misunderstood what is meant by "behind the scenes". Here's an example. Let's say an S person and an N person sees a box. The S person would be thinking "Hmm, it is a cardboard box, roughly cube shaped with a few small holes on the top. The holes seem like they were cut there for a reason, seemingly to maybe let a small animal inside to breathe; although judging by there being no movement or sound coming from within the box, there probably isn't such an animal." (Gathering information and organising them based on their five senses alone.) The N person might then say "But what if the animal has fainted? Or maybe it thinks it's night because it's so dark inside and is merely sleeping. Oh, oh, what if there's actually a portal to another dimension in that box? Or maybe the box isn't really there, it's merely an optical illusion." (Focuses on possibilities, rather than what is more likely given the initial appearances.)

Let's apply this to an actual situation in Katawa Shoujo. A normal person (more specifically, a person who is an S) would look at the sky to check the weather most likely. If there are clouds up there, they might think that it would rain soon, or something along those lines. Rin however, is so fascinated by what the clouds actually look like (or what she thinks they look like, i.e. going beyond the initial impressions), that she is willing to bust into another person's room to continue observing the cloud after it disappears from her own window. And yes, hilarity ensues. :lol:
Hmm, I see. My wrong.
I'd say that's a bit of an unfair generalisation on both archetypes. I was an INFP once and I definitely wasn't some whiny bastard blaming the world for everything bad that happened to me. Know this: these generalisations are merely there to suggest what people with these types typically are like. They aren't 100% accurate. What is more accurate is determining their types from their personality traits alone, like I've done with my analysis in my original post. I didn't use the generalisations to get them, but rather I used facets of each of the girls' personality to determine the four parameters. (You'll see how I did it if you read it in detail.)
Of course they aren't 100% accurate. They're archetypes after all. The problem is that it's more plausible to go from generic to specific - otherwise we'll be here saying "Rin is Rin" forever. I mean, nobody really fits into these archetypes perfectly and will, sometime or another, relate to other temperaments. Human nature is more complex than that.

No one really is a whiny bastard blaming the world for the bad stuff in life, but as far as I can tell people will kind of hide behind their most comfortable archetypical persona at the moment and may or may not, therefore, whine. I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense. Probably not. But what i'm saying is that it feels wrong to say Rin is INFP or INTP when both the ideal INFP and INFP would act nothing like her.
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherKatawaShoujo

Post by AnotherKatawaShoujo »

DrSkulk wrote:3. Lilly (INFJ)
E or I - I (I wouldn't say being popular means you're an extravert. Her favourite activities suggest that while she does not mind company, she'd rather spend time with those few she holds dear.)
S or N - N (It seems like she has a sixth sense on things. Her intuition definitely serves well in helping Hisao get a good ending in Hanako route. She also has a good grasp on her future prospects.)
T or F - F (Major spoiler! Caution is advised. She decides to move to Scotland because her family wants her to, despite logic suggesting that she'd probably have a better life if she stayed behind in Japan. Furthermore, she decides to stay with Hisao after he tells her that he would like her to, holding others' concerns over her own once more.)
J or P - J (I don't know if this is entirely a valid reason but she seems to follow a somewhat routine life.)
I haven't put much thought into the others, but I agree with your characterization of Lilly. She is definitely either an INFJ or an INTJ. I waffle a lot on the T/F scale.. I've been tested and I'm an INTJ, but I'm very low on the T-scale, only a few percentage points. I can slip into the F side pretty easily. I think Lilly might be a similar case. But overall - yes to your assessment!
‎"Maybe I am that kind of a person. The kind that belongs only to herself."
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherKatawaShoujo

Post by AnotherKatawaShoujo »

DrSkulk wrote:
AnotherKatawaShoujo wrote:I haven't put much thought into the others, but I agree with your characterization of Lilly. She is definitely either an INFJ or an INTJ. I waffle a lot on the T/F scale.. I've been tested and I'm an INTJ, but I'm very low on the T-scale, only a few percentage points. I can slip into the F side pretty easily. I think Lilly might be a similar case. But overall - yes to your assessment!
Hey man, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! :D As to your real type, don't worry too much about what the test says. Only you can determine what type you are; no one can do that for you. The test is designed to help you find who you are, but if you disagree, then that's just fair enough isn't it. It's you who knows yourself best after all. :)

Another thing: a person can be of multiple personalities at different points in their life. What I'm saying is, since the test only assesses you on which of the two extremes you are closer to, the result (i.e. the type that you get) does not show how far you are from such an extreme. As such, you could have a 51-49 split on the T-F scale and you'd be determined as a T. The test only tells you what you're typically like; it cannot tell you of all the different personalities you are known to have at different times in your everyday life. For all we know, you could very well be a mix of 2 or 3 different types. So take that into account when you're considering the Myers-Briggs types. ;)
I hope this doesn't come off as rude (it is really not intended to be, I swear lol), but you are preaching to the choir a bit. xD;; I'm wrapping up a degree in Psychology as we speak (please come soon, May...). But it's good info to have here in this thread anyway.

As you noted - there's lost of possible mixing and changes overtime. In modern personality assessment, people tend to use the MMPI or the NEOAC rather than Myers-Briggs... but meh, it's all the same sort of principle. I do prefer the MMPI and NEOAC, if only because they don't do AS much categorization. But at the end of the day, categorization is what we're going for.

At any rate, again, A+ on the guess work for all the girls' types! Well done and well explained.
‎"Maybe I am that kind of a person. The kind that belongs only to herself."