Nurse-kun's story (Damaged Goods)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Althamus

Re: Nurse-kun's story (Damaged Goods)

Post by Althamus »

Just finished reading it. There's a surprising amount of text there, I was on about chapter 15 yesterday, and went to bed at 12:30 with intention of finishing it before sleep, and only got to about chapter 19 before I switched off at 3am. (finished the other 4 chapters this morning, taking another two hours).

It's just a really nice feel-good story, although I do wish there was a better epilogue for it that explained better what had happened and described the good ending in a more Nurse-kun style of detail.

Feeling more motivated and positive about the world today :)
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I wonder why nobody mentioned "Scarred" yet?
It's a Damaged Goods story transcribed into a kind of visual novel. Not finished, no sprites, no plot choices whatsoever, and terminally on hiatus since 2008, but I always wondered how much Devs were inspired by this effort. Maybe even Raita read it before commiting his sketch? (Don't listen to me, it's pure speculation.)
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

NoOne3 wrote:I wonder why nobody mentioned "Scarred" yet?
It's a Damaged Goods story transcribed into a kind of visual novel. Not finished, no sprites, no plot choices whatsoever, and terminally on hiatus since 2008, but I always wondered how much Devs were inspired by this effort. Maybe even Raita read it before commiting his sketch? (Don't listen to me, it's pure speculation.)
Oh, I remember that. It's a shame it never got finished.

RAITA made the sketch in the year 2000, so it wasn't inspired by Nurse-kun's story.
geekahedron

Post by geekahedron »

Took me over the course of several days, but just finished reading the whole thing. It has an air of being believable, and not just from wanting something like this to be true, I think. I would be interested to see other derivative works based on this story, if there are any. I was kind of confused while reading it; is "Damaged Goods" an actual visual novel based on Nurse-Kun's story, or a nickname for the original story itself, or both (or neither)? Can't seem to find anything concrete.
Would you come with me if I ran off to be a pirate?

Scene-by-scene flowcharts: Image 100% complete [ 100% completion walkthrough ]
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

VN's name is "Scarred". "Damaged Goods" was the name for the story itself, on Wikichan probably. Otherwise it is known by the /b/ given names of it's heroes: nurse-kun, or amputee-chan.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

I downloaded Scarred, but it's not very good imo, no KS material.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
geekahedron

Post by geekahedron »

NoOne3 wrote:VN's name is "Scarred". "Damaged Goods" was the name for the story itself, on Wikichan probably. Otherwise it is known by the /b/ given names of it's heroes: nurse-kun, or amputee-chan.
That was what I thought, but when I actually read the Nurse-Kun story (on shii) there was nothing that said "Damaged Goods" at all, other than a passing reference in the conversation itself.

gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

geekahedron wrote:
NoOne3 wrote:VN's name is "Scarred". "Damaged Goods" was the name for the story itself, on Wikichan probably. Otherwise it is known by the /b/ given names of it's heroes: nurse-kun, or amputee-chan.
That was what I thought, but when I actually read the Nurse-Kun story (on shii) there was nothing that said "Damaged Goods" at all, other than a passing reference in the conversation itself.
Before it was posted on Shii, it was posted on wikichan under that name. It is only after a servercrash on wikichan that it was posted on Shii as a back-up :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
louiebaton2

Post by louiebaton2 »

You should check out a career as a registered nurse.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Hey OP,

Thanks for posting that. just finished reading through the whole thing, and though it left me wanting to know more, it did my heart good to know that there are people in this world who care enough to set aside their own plans and voluntarily take up the mantle of parent to a disabled child.

The story might not be true (Although with as much detail as it had, I doubt it's fake.) But it warmed my heart nonetheless.

Assuming the story is true, then Ampuchan would be 11, going on 12 now (her birthday is ostensibly in the summer) basically the same age as my daughter, (11 going on 12, birthday in November). So I can very much relate, although my daughter is ASD, not physically crippled. I can also relate to "That Scene", even though Nurse-Kun meant it in a joking/fake sort of way. I HAVE had to give my daughter that kind of "med" before, and I can tell you, it is NOT FUN. Particularly with a tactially defensive ASD child. (They fight you every moment, unlike Ampuchan.) My daughter also still has toileting issues, so shit storm, yep, can relate to that too.

I found it interesting that in one of the later chapters he casually mentions playing the beta for a game that must have certainly been KS. This is about a year into his writing, so it's possible an early beta may have been out by then. he mentions it's incomplete, but he's looking forward to playing the completed version. It makes me wonder if he has, and if Ampuchan has played it too (At her age, and with Nurse-Kun looking after her, likely with the H scenes turned off). I wonder if they have been to the forums here? Makes you think, doesn't it?

Well, if the story is true, and if they are here, and if they read this, Let me just say that I have an immense amount of respect for Nurse-Kun. He's "Da Man" in so many ways I can't begin to express it. And Ampuchan (I hope she doesn't mind that name) I hope you know what an amazing person you are, and how incredibly lucky you are to have such a wonderful person as Nurse-Kun to love and watch over you until you are ready to go out into the world on your own.

I hope you both have a wonderful, blessed life together.
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
geekahedron

Post by geekahedron »

I think the game in question is actually Scarred: http://abstractnonsense.info/scarred/about.html

gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Yep, it was Scarred he mentioned. But after all, KS started on 4chan, the place he wrote his story. So who knows, he might have played it. And i'm not joking but at this exact moment there's a documentary about people who have adopted a disabled child on television here.

@ Bigbishounen: also big respect to you for taking care like that for you family.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

gRaViJa wrote:Yep, it was Scarred he mentioned. But after all, KS started on 4chan, the place he wrote his story. So who knows, he might have played it. And i'm not joking but at this exact moment there's a documentary about people who have adopted a disabled child on television here.

@ Bigbishounen: also big respect to you for taking care like that for you family.

I remember him mentioning Scarred, but I also remember him mentioning another game that sounded suspiciously like KS... I may have to breeze back through some of the shii posts and see if I can find it.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Bigbishounen wrote:
gRaViJa wrote:Yep, it was Scarred he mentioned. But after all, KS started on 4chan, the place he wrote his story. So who knows, he might have played it. And i'm not joking but at this exact moment there's a documentary about people who have adopted a disabled child on television here.

I remember him mentioning Scarred, but I also remember him mentioning another game that sounded suspiciously like KS... I may have to breeze back through some of the shii posts and see if I can find it.
Would be cool to read that :) i can't remember it, though.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

gRaViJa wrote:
Bigbishounen wrote:I remember him mentioning Scarred, but I also remember him mentioning another game that sounded suspiciously like KS... I may have to breeze back through some of the shii posts and see if I can find it.
Would be cool to read that :) i can't remember it, though.
I found the section i remember, but I think I may have been wrong. here's the relevant text:

...well, I'm not a paragon of detachment and zen. Now...if you were talking about some sort of 'visual novel', or whatever those dating-sim-style books with pictures as games are called, I thought someone was already doing one sort of with this...which I'm still ambivilant about, but if they want to do it as a fan project for a small internet release, well, I'll take it in the spirit it's presumably intended, and give it my conditional blessing. But if one were talking about a serious project intended for sale, particularly one that has me loving her tenderly as either a good or bad end (or beginning or middle for that matter), that'd be another story again... Basically, I guess I'm saying: If you want to write a fanfic about this and post it somewhere on the net? Okay...I can handle that, so long as you're somewhat subtle in the details, but fuck, go wild if you feel like it, just make sure you make it clear it's just that, a fanfic of this 'story'. If you want to make a little 'visual novel game' out of it, hey, that's cool, I'd like to play it myself, as I've 'played through' the one already in beta (spelling errors abound, guys, you should really get an editor, and some of the prose sounds weird in that format, particularly some bits that were responses to others, which were ommitted...but then, it is a beta.) Go for it. Again, make clear it's a 'fanfic' of this, and you can do whatever you want with it, hell, make it XXX-rated and give 'admirers' a stroke with all that hot stumpz action, for all I care.
Can't really tell what game he's talking about there, but based on the post date (04/28/07(Sat)05:29:21) I suspect that Scarred might actually be the better candidate. Was KS development even very far off the ground at that point? I honestly don't know.

Oh well, it was a nice thought. Still, with all the press KS has received, I'll bet that he's played it. I guess we'll never know unless he decides to tripcode post on 4chan again.