-

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

geekahedron

Re: KS de white-knighted me

Post by geekahedron »

I don't know if the message you should take from this game is "don't be a white knight." Contrarily, even, many girls often are looking for the kind of guy who can protect them and offer security -- just don't do it from a place of condescension.

If anything, the overarching message to take from this game is much simpler, I think:

Be honest.

Be honest with yourself about what you want to do with your life and what you are looking for in a relationship, be honest with the people around you and especially any significant-other-type about your feelings and what is going on in your life. There are very few relational problems that cannot be solved, resolved, or prevented by a good measure of candor and openness.
Would you come with me if I ran off to be a pirate?

Scene-by-scene flowcharts: Image 100% complete [ 100% completion walkthrough ]
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

geekahedron wrote:I don't know if the message you should take from this game is "don't be a white knight." Contrarily, even, many girls often are looking for the kind of guy who can protect them and offer security -- just don't do it from a place of condescension.

If anything, the overarching message to take from this game is much simpler, I think:

Be honest.

Be honest with yourself about what you want to do with your life and what you are looking for in a relationship, be honest with the people around you and especially any significant-other-type about your feelings and what is going on in your life. There are very few relational problems that cannot be solved, resolved, or prevented by a good measure of candor and openness.
I think this makes more sense. I don't think the VN literally tries to destroy our white knight instincts but more like to avoid the extremes in it. Hisao possibly still retains his protective instincts after after story arcs. It just takes Hisao to explain his feelings to them on why he cares so much for them. I mean, i find it hard not to help someone you love cause it hurts you that something is hurting them. /shrug
Resign102

-

Post by Resign102 »

-
Last edited by Resign102 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al

Post by Al »

http://heartiste.wordpress.com/the-sixt ... s-of-poon/
This is probably all you need if you're having problems with your inner white-knight. Have a nice day
clarkt

Post by clarkt »

Al wrote:http://heartiste.wordpress.com/the-sixt ... s-of-poon/
This is probably all you need if you're having problems with your inner white-knight. Have a nice day
jesus christ, this is some incredibly sexist bullshit
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

clarkt wrote:
Trolls will be trolls. That being said, at least some of this advice seems good even if it's a bit condescending... Probably just depends on who you're romancing if that site is valid or not.

In the end, it's all about balance. A man and woman in a relationship should be equals. At least, that's the type of relationship I want. It's no fun if one is subservient to the other.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I don't know if the message you should take from this game is "don't be a white knight." Contrarily, even, many girls often are looking for the kind of guy who can protect them and offer security -- just don't do it from a place of condescension.
White knighting is generally not a term used for the practice of offering someone security...its popular meaning is behavior that involves compulsive fixing and overprotective worrying. So I think "don't be a white knight" is definitely a message here, if you stick to that particular meaning of the white knight term.

Take Hanako, for example. Everyone who's played her route knows she dislikes being treated as a fragile child and worrying too much about her leads to her bad end. But her social anxiety is a very real thing and there are several moments throughout the game where Hisao and her get in a crowd and she clings to him for security. I doubt she could be with a partner who was unable to offer her that security and some level of protection during moments when her anxiety starts acting up, the trick for the partner would be to recognize the moments she needed someone to act as a crutch and turn the protective instincts down when those moments are over.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

clarkt wrote:
Hey, I laughed.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
clarkt

Post by clarkt »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:
clarkt wrote:
Hey, I laughed.
i just didn't know whether to laugh or cry. why do these people still exist. why.
Resign102

-

Post by Resign102 »

-
Last edited by Resign102 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

clarkt wrote:
Yeah, I've got to say; I found that page pretty damn disgusting myself. Emotional manipulation such as that page suggests is not a healthy foundation for a relationship.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
clarkt

Post by clarkt »

Resign102 wrote:
clarkt wrote: i just didn't know whether to laugh or cry. why do these people still exist. why.
I think youre taking a joke too seriously :|
tons of disgustingly misogynist bullshit gets passed around as a joke, and saying something was meant to be funny doesn'y suddenly make it okay. this sort of thing is even worse, because for every 10 people who pass it as a joke, trolling or whatever, there's that one who finds it to be legitimate dating advice.
Resign102

Post by Resign102 »

-
Last edited by Resign102 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
clarkt

Post by clarkt »

Resign102 wrote:
clarkt wrote:because for every 10 people who pass it as a joke, trolling or whatever, there's that one who finds it to be legitimate dating advice.
Now THAT is a frightening concept. Anyone that oblivious....well...
see? a scary prospect, isn't it. and believe me, those people exist, and they're far more common that we might think. so please excuse my knee-jerk reaction to that, but i'm just truly horrified to see more of this sort of thing, especially since the author doesn't seem to realize the irony, either.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

So the reason you think its not okay is because some people are stupid and/or assholes?

Shocking revelation.

Let people believe any fool thing they want, if it doesn't bruise me, why should I trouble myself?
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.