Katawa Shoujo "Plus"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Titus

Re: Katawa Shoujo "Plus"

Post by Titus »

Tezzeret wrote:I think i could get along with this idea.

I'm not gonna hold my breath in hopes it would even see completion though.
You never know, wasn't Katawa Shoujo in the same predicament?
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Tezzeret

Post by Tezzeret »

Titus wrote:

Not big on the development phases of KS but i think so.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Titus wrote:

Yes, but one of the things that makes KS remarkable is that it actually made it out of that. Most games don't.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

I'm wondering about the new logo, a broken bone... Could it be that the new main character suffers from one of those: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Osteopathies ?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Woody Alien wrote:I'm wondering about the new logo, a broken bone... Could it be that the new main character suffers from one of those: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Osteopathies ?
He could also be a dog.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Minister of Gloom wrote:
Woody Alien wrote:I'm wondering about the new logo, a broken bone... Could it be that the new main character suffers from one of those: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Osteopathies ?
He could also be a dog.
...a dog of the FEMINISTS!! OOOOOOOH

I smell a Kenji-moment coming

you know what would be better, if the MC/PC in KS+ is none other than Kenji himself; he did mentioned had a girlfriend once, did he?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Megumeru wrote:
Minister of Gloom wrote:
He could also be a dog.
...a dog of the FEMINISTS!! OOOOOOOH

I smell a Kenji-moment coming

you know what would be better, if the MC/PC in KS+ is none other than Kenji himself; he did mentioned had a girlfriend once, did he?
And asides from being chronically clumsy and a little near sighted, she is not disabled. Or at least has never mentioned being.
Last edited by Minister of Gloom on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
N. Bekkler

Post by N. Bekkler »

Guest wrote:
Mahorfeus wrote:It makes me wonder if they even bothered asking any of the devs for permission.

I don't know, call it narrow-minded, but I can't bring myself to condone stuff like this. "Mentaru Shoujo" for example at least approaches a similar concept from a different angle with different flavor, but the whole "Plus" for this just irks me to no end.

For the most part, no. We haven't asked. But we have talked to Doomfest and Mike Inel about helping us. (To which they declined but wished us good luck.)

And we're still pooling over names. For now "plus" or "+" is what we're going with.
Considering the license that this game was released under, I'm not entirely sure how much permission would be legally required for a project like this (then again, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be way off on this one). Either way, it's good to know that you got the blessing of part of Four Leaf Studios at least.

The more I think about this kind of project the more open to it I am. I was apprehensive at first, but it is starting to seem possible. Hell, if 4LS could pull this off, why couldn't another group do the same?
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

KS took 5 years to complete ... my fear is they are gonna rush it well the ks ban wagon is still hot at it will be a crap VN ... how will the music hold up , story be rushed ... will it be just a fan service ... idk a KS with out 4ls is like a final fantasy not done by square just seems wrong
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

rydiafan wrote:KS took 5 years to complete ... my fear is they are gonna rush it well the ks ban wagon is still hot at it will be a crap VN ... how will the music hold up , story be rushed ... will it be just a fan service ... idk a KS with out 4ls is like a final fantasy not done by square just seems wrong
I can't speak for everyone, but a Final Fantasy done by somebody other than Square might be a little more welcome than you think. Still, you raise an excellent point.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
shaftslammer

Post by shaftslammer »

I can't speak for everyone, but a Final Fantasy done by somebody other than Square might be a little more welcome than you think.
This. And honestly the same should go for any game/visual novel/book/movie/whatever. All challengers are welcome!
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

If it isn't intended as a cash-in on Katawa Shoujo's success, then the name shouldn't be Katawa Shoujo+. Everyone and his mother who knows about Japanese games sees that title and automatically assumes that this is either a v2.0 of the original KS or that it's a sequel, one of the two. Since this project is neither an update nor a sequel, it really shouldn't be called KS+. The main motivation you should have for changing the name isn't because people tell you to do so but because you don't want to lose your audience. Most people who were not willing to give KS a chance are not likely to give your game a chance either. That pretty much means that your audience is the KS fanbase. And if you piss off the KS fanbase by stubbornly referring to this project as KS+ and making them believe that you're just trying to milk KS's popularity in order to give your own project better exposure, then you're only going to wind up pissing off the only people who were ever going to give your game a chance in the first place. Honestly, I'd suggest changing the beta name now before any more damage is done. The "the VN formerly known as KS+" argument doesn't apply here because, unlike with KS (which was always going to be known as KS because of just how controversial the name was), yours isn't quite as controversial a name choice. It's controversial, sure, but they're on two entirely different levels of controversy. Change the name from KS+ to something new soon and once your game comes out no one is going to be going around calling it KS+ except for a few trolls.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

I'm just going to say this: "Infinity Ward vs. Treyarch."

That's really all I have to say about the name KS+.

Post by Guest »

Benkei wrote:If it isn't intended as a cash-in on Katawa Shoujo's success, then the name shouldn't be Katawa Shoujo+. Everyone and his mother who knows about Japanese games sees that title and automatically assumes that this is either a v2.0 of the original KS or that it's a sequel, one of the two. Since this project is neither an update nor a sequel, it really shouldn't be called KS+. The main motivation you should have for changing the name isn't because people tell you to do so but because you don't want to lose your audience. Most people who were not willing to give KS a chance are not likely to give your game a chance either. That pretty much means that your audience is the KS fanbase. And if you piss off the KS fanbase by stubbornly referring to this project as KS+ and making them believe that you're just trying to milk KS's popularity in order to give your own project better exposure, then you're only going to wind up pissing off the only people who were ever going to give your game a chance in the first place. Honestly, I'd suggest changing the beta name now before any more damage is done. The "the VN formerly known as KS+" argument doesn't apply here because, unlike with KS (which was always going to be known as KS because of just how controversial the name was), yours isn't quite as controversial a name choice. It's controversial, sure, but they're on two entirely different levels of controversy. Change the name from KS+ to something new soon and once your game comes out no one is going to be going around calling it KS+ except for a few trolls.
You really cannot read, can you? Spare your angry comments for another time: the name is temporary.
Seriously, your so-called "suggestions are nothing more than your demands.
Theeyebrowsofdoom

Post by Theeyebrowsofdoom »

I would love to play this. I wish the best of guts to the developers so that they may see it to the end. And people should stop calling this a cash-in, as THERE'S NO CASH INVOLVED.