Color "Blindness"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Beoran

Color "Blindness"

Post by Beoran »

I'm starting this topic to complain a bit, because I think the anti-spam question that is asked to use these forums is actually creating a barrier for people with a rather common "disability": different or diminished color sight. Like, *me*. Now, to be clear, I don't like the name color "blindness", since I can see colors well enough, just *not in the *same way* most people do. I just used the term in the title of this thread to make clear what it's about.

Anyway, because of my different color vision, it was hard for me to answer the anti-spam question. I though it was Misha since her hair looks purple to me, from what I had seen playing the game. I spent some time failing the question again and again, then I realized that it was probably my different color sight, and I tried all character names until I got the right one. But to me, her hair looks "ashen". To illustrate I have here an image, and some big colored @ marks as well. In the middle is the main color of the correct answer's hair. In the left, is how much I have to crank up saturation before I can see it's purple. On the right is my educated guess on how her hair color would look like when seen though my eyes. Hard to say it's purple, yes?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Anyway, if this was any different forum I'd be fine, but I as I stated in the thread I was trying to publish find it ironic that this forum of all forums would create barriers to people with different color sight. A different question that doesn't require "normal" color sight would be better, I think.

Also, on a more wider note, I'm sure that there are other people on this forum who also have a different color perception? For those people didn't you have similar problems? Or other problems in real life with people expecting that you see colors in the same way that they do?

Kind Regards,

B.
charmisokay

Re: Color "Blindness"

Post by charmisokay »

The question could be changed to: "whats the name of the main character?"
And/or : There are six girls, (5 names) whats the name of the last?
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Hitman3256

Post by Hitman3256 »

charmisokay wrote:The question could be changed to: "whats the name of the main character?"
And/or : There are six girls, (5 names) whats the name of the last?
Yeah I like the main character's name question better. Only thing wrong with that second one is that there's no specific order 'really', I know that when they're named in a list, we tend to order them like that. But if someone's having problems with that verification question, they wouldnt really know that -.-

On the other hand, B, that question never changes so now that you know the answer you can keep putting in Hanako and be ok! I'm sorry though, that a small security device has caused you problems because of your color difference.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Eh, in the main it's not so bad IMHo. AFAIK, only one question is asked (Hanako's hair colour?), or at least the two times I've been asked a question it's been the same question. If you register on the forums, you don't get questioned after that either, and I found the answer on the first hit when I googled the question (even if I didn't already know the answer).

I guess it could be swapped to a "What is the name of the girl with ---- disability", but either way it's easier than a CAPTCHA
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Charismok
Yeah, the name of the male character would be a good question.

Hitman3256,
Agreed that there is no order in the girls, and thanks for the sympathy.

Althamus,
While it's true I can type the same name now, I am still a bit miffed, since I had to go name hunting the first time I answered the question. I wanted to register, but it even locked me out of registering after I got it wrong too many times :p. As I said in my first message, on any other forum I'd let it slide, but on this one it's too ironic and irksome.

Of course, I know you're not intending to do so, but it's annoying if people assume that different color sight doesn't cause any problems at all. I know that there are people who have far more serious problems out there, but I can't talk in their place, I can only complain about my admittedly relatively "small" problem.

Also, I tend to dislike how few attention is given to such things, even seen that about 3 to 5 % of the people have different color sight. Just look at color-only differences in computer programs or games or web pages, for example. How hard is it to also include some text or a symbol?

And don't get me started on some CAPCHA's. It's normally OK if they are black and white, but sometimes I see these horrible color based CAPTCHA's... :p

Kind Regards,

B.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

N. Bekkler

Post by N. Bekkler »

Okay, first of all I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of your situation (I'm sorry to admit that, but I'm just trying to be honest).

Anyway, changing the question to something not so dependent on individual interpretation might help. My first answer to that question was the Nurse - his hair is definitely purple, while Hanako's has more grey.

Then again, Silentcook seems to have offered a good solution, lol.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

N. Bekkler wrote:his hair is definitely purple, while Hanako's has more grey.
DING!DING!DING!DING!

We have a winner to that question ladies and gents!

...honestly I answered nurse too on first guess
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
DH531

Post by DH531 »

Megumeru wrote:
DING!DING!DING!DING!

I thought the nurse's hair was more blue o_o (Though I can see why you'd say purple now) Is something wrong with me? >.<
N. Bekkler

Post by N. Bekkler »

DH531 wrote: I thought the nurse's hair was more blue o_o (Though I can see why you'd say purple now) Is something wrong with me? >.<
No, you've just help to explain why Beoran has a damn good point.
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Megumeru wrote:
DING!DING!DING!DING!

Same here. Although that would be an impossible question, since we aren't ever told the Nurse's first name.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

N. Bekkler wrote:
DH531 wrote: I thought the nurse's hair was more blue o_o (Though I can see why you'd say purple now) Is something wrong with me? >.<
No, you've just help to explain why Beoran has a damn good point.
that maybe we're the one with color blindness?
...will it get me to Yamaku?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
AnotherKatawaShoujo

Post by AnotherKatawaShoujo »

The nurse... huh. That thought never even crossed my mind. I originally thought the question referred to "main" characters, but I just doubled checked.. it doesn't. Maybe I'm just not as creative. :P But indeed, the man's hair looks purple to me.

Beoran - If I'm not overstepping my bounds (and if I am, I apologize), may I ask what kind of color "blindness" do you have? Protanopia? Deuteranopia? Some other variety? If I'm being too forward, please just ignore me/tell me off.
‎"Maybe I am that kind of a person. The kind that belongs only to herself."
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Good to see I wan't the only one with a problem in answering the question. I guess several people have a different color sight,
and even if not, color names are subjective

AnotherKatawaShoujo:

Actually that's a good question. I'm actually unsure what form it is. I was tested as a child but I don't know or remember what the results were. As an adult I find it annoying to take such tests (at least at the doctor's office) since I always "fail" them. I hate being told that what I see is "wrong". It isn't. I see what I see, and that is what I see. If that's not the same as what you see then I can understand that, but I'd want you to be understanding of me too. Different is not the same as "wrong". Certainly not for the subjective experience of colors. If I need an objective measure of color, I'll use a spectrometer, thank you. :p

Anyway, I am guessing (from reading the Wikipedia article and taking some online tests) it's some kind of deuteranomaly, where my green vision is different, but since there is no green in purple, I think it might be combined with some slight different vision of other colors (red?) too.

However, I don't care too much what kind it is though, since I don't see much value in getting such a label stuck to my back. I assume that even amongst people who have the "same" sort of different color vision, or even amongst people with "normal" color vision, what kind of colors they *actually* experience on a subjective level will vary, also because of cultural background. Like how the Japanese call a traffic light blue in stead of green due for cultural and linguistic reasons. I think it's enough for me to know that it's different from what the "average" person sees, and that it occasionally can cause problems.

Kind regards,

B.