Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Post Reply
User avatar
Mirrormn
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Mirrormn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm

I think the development of love, especially in its early stages, is too dependent on a feedback-loop type situation for either Hanako or Lilly to be "heartbroken" about losing Hisao to the other. Of course, it is likely that they're both interested in Hisao at the end of Act 1 regardless of which route you choose, but those feelings would not be very strong without Hisao actively returning that interest, and would eventually subside without much pain. In Hanako's route, Lilly easily replaces romantic interest in Hisao with motherly affection, and distracts herself by worrying about her own issues with her family (which don't really come up, but would still be on her mind). In Lilly's route, Hanako is a bit disappointed when Lilly and Hisao announce their relationship (immediately after that happens, Hanako and Lilly go outside together to discuss something out of hearing range of Hisao, and it is speculated that that discussion might be about Hanako's now-futile feelings for Hisao), but she takes that disappointment and channels it towards developing herself socially, so that next time a boy takes her fancy, she might have a better chance with him.

Either way, nobody's kept up late at night crying about lost love.

Except maybe Misha :( (to get this thread a bit back on topic...)
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Caesius » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Shiro wrote:Have you ever read a story where you have a nice girl with positive character traits, then comes along a bad guy she tries to reform. Only to have that girl end up losing her faith in humanity? I think that would be considered: "breaking the cutie", you feel hatred for that guy. But in the Shizune bad ending...you ARE that guy. You didn't intend for things to turn out that way. It just did. Nowhere to place your blame.
In this case it's more like "Nice Job Breaking It, Hero."
Image

User avatar
ShadeHaven
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by ShadeHaven » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Mirrormn wrote:Either way, nobody's kept up late at night crying about lost love.

Except maybe Misha :( (to get this thread a bit back on topic...)
I'm seriously beginning to think that an injustice was committed with the lack of a true love story for Misha. Even if it wasn't Hisao or Shizune, i'd be nice to see her find someone.

User avatar
megiddo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by megiddo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 am

Mirrormn wrote:In Lilly's route, Hanako is a bit disappointed when Lilly and Hisao announce their relationship (immediately after that happens, Hanako and Lilly go outside together to discuss something out of hearing range of Hisao, and it is speculated that that discussion might be about Hanako's now-futile feelings for Hisao)
I remember it differently.
At the breakfast table, Lilly tells Hanako that she has confessed to Hisao.
Hanako asks Hisao if he accepted.
Hisao says yes.
Hanako then looks really happy and she says something along those lines ("I'm really happy" or something).
Hanako gets up and pulls Lilly out of the cabin excitedly (Hisao doesn't get to hear the contents of their excited clucking).

User avatar
Mirrormn
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Mirrormn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:33 am

megiddo wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:In Lilly's route, Hanako is a bit disappointed when Lilly and Hisao announce their relationship (immediately after that happens, Hanako and Lilly go outside together to discuss something out of hearing range of Hisao, and it is speculated that that discussion might be about Hanako's now-futile feelings for Hisao)
I remember it differently.
At the breakfast table, Lilly tells Hanako that she has confessed to Hisao.
Hanako asks Hisao if he accepted.
Hisao says yes.
Hanako then looks really happy and she says something along those lines ("I'm really happy" or something).
Hanako gets up and pulls Lilly out of the cabin excitedly (Hisao doesn't get to hear the contents of their excited clucking).
Hmm, this is actually true. I misremembered the scene as Hanako saying "I'm really happy" but being rather reserved about it, and then dragging Lilly outside, but with a quick replay through the relevant scene (Gray Outlook), a different picture is painted: upon receiving the news, Hanako "gives a smile so large, and so earnest, I find myself blushing. I think it's the brightest I've ever seen her expression look." And Hanako doesn't really smile all that often. Although, her subsequent speech, in which she justifies her happiness, seems to imply that she's thought about the issue at length beforehand, and has had purposefully change her mindset in order to come to terms with it. So she may still have been disappointed at some earlier point in the route when she realized Hisao was more interested in Lilly than herself, but is already recovered from that disappointment by the time it is official.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune

User avatar
fabio.salvador
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by fabio.salvador » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 am

i GUESS i´LL HAVE TO USE SOME KIND OF FLOWCHART FROM NOW ON...

I play without any aid, just to see what happens...

I completed all but Lilly´s route... and I keep bumping on Hanako´s... I approach the two tea-maniacs, and really try not to go Hanako´s route. But then something tilts inside my mind and I go to Hanakoland.

Damn!
If I were free to choose, whenever any character did anything to hurt Hanako, I would be able to call that person outdoors and the game screen would change to Street-Fighter-esque mode.

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Megumeru » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 pm

yeah, and this is Shizune territory.

How come we're discussing about Hanako and Lilly and compare on how Shizune is a much better character than them in...
...
...
continue, please. :lol:
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2924
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Oddball » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm


How come we're discussing about Hanako and Lilly and compare on how Shizune is a much better character than them in...
Because Shizune's not better? :P

Seriously though, she may not be my favorite character, but let's keep the Shizune topic about Shizune.. and possibly Misha. Misha's cool too. Cooler than Shizune at least.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
fabio.salvador
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by fabio.salvador » Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 am

Shizune´s a bitch...


nothing more that i can say
If I were free to choose, whenever any character did anything to hurt Hanako, I would be able to call that person outdoors and the game screen would change to Street-Fighter-esque mode.

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Megumeru » Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 am

fabio.salvador wrote:Shizune´s a bitch...


nothing more that i can say
Yeah, and...
...
...
...you know, I should hold my horses before another thermal-nuclear war explode. Go check 'Team Shizune vs. Team Lilly' thread (WARNING: SANITY MAY BE HARMED)
Oh, before I forget it's a 3-0 for Team Shizune
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Mysterious Stranger
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Mysterious Stranger » Thu May 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Megumeru wrote:
fabio.salvador wrote:Shizune´s a bitch...


nothing more that i can say
Yeah, and...
...
...
...you know, I should hold my horses before another thermal-nuclear war explode. Go check 'Team Shizune vs. Team Lilly' thread (WARNING: SANITY MAY BE HARMED)
Oh, before I forget it's a 3-0 for Team Shizune
We might just have to open another front right here, Megumeru. Wahahahaha~.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Megumeru » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
fabio.salvador wrote:Shizune´s a bitch...


nothing more that i can say
Yeah, and...
...
...
...you know, I should hold my horses before another thermal-nuclear war explode. Go check 'Team Shizune vs. Team Lilly' thread (WARNING: SANITY MAY BE HARMED)
Oh, before I forget it's a 3-0 for Team Shizune
We might just have to open another front right here, Megumeru. Wahahahaha~.
Wahahahaha~

No. Please no.

I have 4 chapters I want to finish and it'll stay that way for quite a long time (I curse you Blizzard for popping Diablo III)
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

Dr. Robotnik
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Dr. Robotnik » Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Regardless of whether or not Shizune is a total bitch who was no good for Misha anyway, they should not have punished you for having feelings for Misha, or even fucking caring about her. Seriously, whoever did Shizune's path needs to be brutally assaulted in their crotch area for actively punishing you for giving a shit about anyone but who they want you to. That's not good writing.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]

User avatar
Mysterious Stranger
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Mysterious Stranger » Thu May 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Regardless of whether or not Shizune is a total bitch who was no good for Misha anyway, they should not have punished you for having feelings for Misha, or even fucking caring about her. Seriously, whoever did Shizune's path needs to be brutally assaulted in their crotch area for actively punishing you for giving a shit about anyone but who they want you to. That's not good writing.
As much as I'd love to agree with you, that's just not logical. It's Shicchan's arc, not Misha's. And cheating on Shizune with her best friend does not translate to "caring about Misha".
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |

Dr. Robotnik
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Venting about Shizune's Bad ending...

Post by Dr. Robotnik » Thu May 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Cheating is bad, yes, but genuinely caring for another individual =/= cheating. They could have easily let you actually comfort Misha, but instead they either made you do something that they wanted you to regret (nice try), or shoo her away like you don't give a fuck. I know it's Shizune's path, but you can give a shit about other people without being a monster.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]

Post Reply