If Katawa Shoujo was a JRPG...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

scorptatious

If Katawa Shoujo was a JRPG...

Post by scorptatious »

What kind of fighters do you think the characters would be? Please take their conditions into account. For example, I don't think Hisao would be a very good physical fighter considering his arrhythmia. Perhaps a black mage? Shizune wouldn't be a very good magic user considering she doesn't talk. (So would that mean she's always under the silence status ailment? :lol: )
newnar

Re: If Katawa Shoujo was a JRPG...

Post by newnar »

I thought there was already a thread on this.
Fycadius

Post by Fycadius »

Hisao - White Mage (repairs all the damage to the girls through kindness and compassion)

Emi - Paladin (Nice girl, willing to help others however she can. Driven in her goal to the point of zealotry.)

Hanako - Ranger (stays in the back, doesn't have to be near people and can keep to herself)

Shizune - Rogue (permanent stealth, proficient in sign language and is very good as what she does. Driven to get the job done.)

Lilly - Black Mage (kind when she wants to be but god damn she can get forceful when she wants to be)

Rin - Monk (because her kicks would hurt so much and be so damn accurate. Besides, the loss of her arms would cause her to be more agile anyway)

Misha - Warrior (She's loud, has presence and is very forceful when needed. Also acts as a buffer between the world and Shizune)

Here you go. Hope that makes sense.
Tezzeret

Post by Tezzeret »

Well now this is an interesting thought.

I think Fycadius got it right :)
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Jigoro = Mountain Troll.
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Meh, JRPG are for Wusses.
But the Cast of Katawa Shoujo can fit pretty well in Baldurs Gate 2: Throne o Baal.

Hisao is the Child of Baal, since he is the protagonist. Fighter/Mage
Misha is Minsk, both are loud, large and easy going. Barbarian
Shizune is Jaheera both are leaders, task oriented, independent and fiercely loyal to Minsk/Misha and CoB/Hisao. Fighter/Druid
Hanako is Aerie, both have traumatic pasts, are shy and scarred (theres even a scene where Aeries shows CoB her scars). Mage/Cleric
Emi is Yoshimo, both are energetic, well liked, with a go getter attitude, but have some sort of hidden issues and fears they try to mask with smiles. Rogue
Rin is Jan Jansen both are eccentric, funny, tend to banter and have hidden depths. Mage/Rogue
Lilly is hard, but i would say Keldorn, the paladin. Both are serious, dutiful, protective of their few friends and both can find love through lots of trials.
Kenji is Tiax. Awesome crazy dude.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Damn I loved D&D, would agree with most, but Shizune oughta be warlord and Emi should be paladin. Emi's fighting spirit>her speed. I always wanted Hanako as a dark pact warlock but I guess theres no justification.
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

EDIT: Holy crap, this is super TL: DR. Debating in my head if I should just give the classes name and leave the useless banter out.

Since I haven't play a JRPG since Chrono Trigger, I'm really lacking the knowledge of some classes. Plus, JRPGs these days are nothing more than weeaboo trash but that's my opinion. I also JUST got into DnD a month ago and havne't play a game since New Years Eve. With that, I'm going with some Fire Emblem-like classes.

Hisao - Lord -> Lord Knight/Prince/Master Lord/Great Lord/Blade Lord
Lords in Fire Emblem are always the main character and usually are teenagers or young adults. And if your Lord dies, it's game over Hisao's the main character so it'll be fitting. He's in his late teens, he's an all-around guy, and if he dies or get a bad ending, it's game over.

Hanako - Mage -> Sage
Mages usually don't do direct combat and usually fight back lines. Also, in some Fire Emblem gmaes, most mages are usually shy and quiet but also very wise and kind people. Thus Hanako could make a perfect Mage/Sage. Just don't let her use Fire Magic.

Lilly - Troubadour -> Paladin (FE4 and FE5) OR Valkyrie (Fire Emblem 6 onwards)
Seeing Lilly's a generally nice, kind, and helpful person. Troubadours in the Fire Emblem series are usually kind and helpful as they are mounted healers who can use swords and spedars (FE4 and FE5) or magic (FE6 onwards) after promotion. If you take Lilly's Scottish bloodline into account, she can use swords but she she's blind, maybe just healing magic.

Emi - Myrmidon (called Sword Fighter in the Japanese versions) -> Swordmistress OR Pirate-> Berserker/Warrior

Emi is fast. Mymidons/Swordmasters in teh FE series are fast. Emi relies on speed. Myrmidons rely on speed. Is Emi's Popular? Myrmidons are very popular in the Fire Emblem fandom. I don't see Emi having any issues using swords since their light and don't weight her down, still making her fast.

Now, if you also wanan go with Emi's fantasy of being a pirate, there's also her being a Pirate class. Sadly, they don't have much speed because axes are heavy.

Rin - Bard -> Sage
Generally, Bards are usually folks who tell stories through the arts (althrough in FE4 and FE5, they use magic). In a sense, Rin tell stories through painting and artwork. If you go with the FE4 and FE5 style of Bards and Sages, Rin could be a magic user.

Shizune - Lord, Emperor, Queen, King - Because of her leadership skills. Sadly, Emperor, Queen, and King are enemy-only classes unless you hack the game or something.
Shizune loves power and being a strong leader. Storyline, maybe perhaps she was once a great ally for your team but overtime, the power of leadership corrupted her and she winded up being a ruthless leader and the main villain.

Misha - Armored based classes (General, Knight, Baron, etc.)
Misha's a bit of a chubby girl and most female armored classes in Fire Emblem are a bit chubby (Meg from FE9 and 10 and maybe Wendy from FE6). Most of them are also loud but very lovable, like Misha herself.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Fycadius wrote:Misha - Warrior (She's loud, has presence and is very forceful when needed. Also acts as a buffer between the world and Shizune)
I now can't stop imagining Misha screaming, "I LIKE SWORDS. WHAHAHAHAHA!" -.-""
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

It would be amusing to see Katawa Shoujo as a western RPG. Since I'm an unapologetic fan of cute aesthetics, I haven't really tried more than a few western RPGs, since I don't really care for realistic styles.

After spending about eighty hours on Persona 4, I think I'm ready for another game which combines slice of life with complex gameplay. I don't want an imitation... it would be a little too obvious to make a game in which KS characters fight evil in between classes.
Snow_Storm wrote:Plus, JRPGs these days are nothing more than weeaboo trash but that's my opinion.
If you get a chance, look into Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. It might take a bit of effort to find an actual DS cart, since it was a limited print run from Atlus. In any case, it's a rather bleak game about adults fighting demons in Antarctica. It does not include elements such as cuteness, moe, harem, or angst.

I also like Half Minute Hero (whether on PSP or XBLA). It's meant to be absurd, and it succeeds.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Whoa. Suddenly. Fire Emblem. Ok to further add to the confusion, I'll redefine them using Persona 3 major arcanas.

Hisao: Magician
Hanako: Hermit
Lilly: Lovers
Emi: Chariot
Rin: Hanged Man
Shizune: Empress
MIsha: Fool
hickwarrior

Post by hickwarrior »

newnar wrote:Whoa. Suddenly. Fire Emblem. Ok to further add to the confusion, I'll redefine them using Persona 3 major arcanas.

Hisao: Magician
Hanako: Hermit
Lilly: Lovers
Emi: Chariot
Rin: Hanged Man
Shizune: Empress
MIsha: Fool
That last one doesn't seem to match. It seems more like Hisao would be the fool, as he has a different personality at the end of each character story. At least, that's what it seems to me. Maybe Shizune is more magician, but since she is more forceful, empress seems the right choice. I'll read up on all of it here. All the Arcana are listed there.

I'll see if I can explain why they would belong to that arcana.

EDIT: Okay, so I noticed a few things. First of all, Shizune is an Emperor, regardless of the gender that is associated with. Lilly is more of an Empress in Hanako's story, since she kind of stands along the sidelines and such, whereas her story is most definitely Lovers. I don't think you can pigeonhole them into Arcanas like this.

Also, if I remember right, Arcanas sides of your personality. They can change over time. Thus, just putting them into a square won't work, since they are way rounder than that.
Meh, I just liked how the location sounded in my mind. I'm not really into sailing myself.
newnar

Post by newnar »

The tarot cards actually represents a time/period in everyone's life when their psyche develops new emotions due to subjection to certain outside stimuli.

But what I'm trying to link up is the social link most appropriate for each arcana.