Would Katawa Shoujo have worked as a written novel?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Althamus

Re: Would Katawa Shoujo have worked as a written novel?

Post by Althamus »

:(

Although when I thought about it, I couldn't really imagine her giving any other kind of answer. It's a real shame, I was looking forward to having a set of physical KS books I could read.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

You probably would have been disappointed.
As the original topic of this thread suggests, KS is not really suited for that format.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

That's a shame, but I agree that the medium would not have been entirely appropriate.

I don't see the circumstances changing anytime soon, but there's no reason why you can't continue for your own benefit. Sounds like an interesting enough project to do just for the fun of it.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Mahorfeus wrote:That's a shame, but I agree that the medium would not have been entirely appropriate.

I don't see the circumstances changing anytime soon, but there's no reason why you can't continue for your own benefit. Sounds like an interesting enough project to do just for the fun of it.
That's what I intend to do. I'll still send out draft for proofreading if people are interested. If nothing else, I can at least create a physical copy for myself (since Create Space doesn't make a profit off of proof-prints).
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Did you ever work out how to differentiate between Misha talking, and Shizune talking through Misha? I'm just going through Act 1 for the last time (I hope Rin will make me gRin), and thought that it might be easier if Shizune talking through Misha was spoken in inverted commas, eg:
"'You're the new student, right?' Of course he is Shichan, otherwise he wouldn't have been standing up in front of the class, would he?"

Obvious stuff, but I put it just in case you hadn't thought about it. How's progress going?
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Certain routes would have worked very well as stand-alone novels. Rin's comes to mind. Others depended a little more heavily on the companionship of their sister routes.

If I had to votes "yes/no," I'd probably vote "yes," that KS could have worked as a written novel. Not getting embroiled in the argument as to whether it would have worked well or not or whether it would have worked better or not, but yes, I do think it could have worked as a written novel. It's not in the same vein as some other VNs which had to be VNs to tell the very story that they were wanting to tell. (Ever17 comes to mind. Given the final arc of that game, you just really couldn't have done Ever17 even as a series of novels.)