Would Katawa Shoujo have worked as a written novel?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

UncleJellyfish

Re: Would Katawa Shoujo have worked as a written novel?

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Even if I get a no for mass publishing, there is no copyright infringement if I were to make it for myself. Even if I get a no, perhaps a final product that the devs could actually see may change their minds. In the end, I'm going to finish at least one of these novels, even if I get a no. If I get the go-ahead, well, then there's no stopping me.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

UncleJellyfish wrote:Even if I get a no for mass publishing, there is no copyright infringement if I were to make it for myself. Even if I get a no, perhaps a final product that the devs could actually see may change their minds. In the end, I'm going to finish at least one of these novels, even if I get a no. If I get the go-ahead, well, then there's no stopping me.
Well either way there's no stopping you judging by what you said xD
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Just over 8,100 words, 20.5 pages, roughly, and I'm done for the night. I'll probably be able to get about 5-8 thousand words per weekend, but during weekends I'll have substantially less time to work on it. I'd estimate that the first Act will be done in two weeks or less (probably less), and then it'd probably take a month or more per Act after that.
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Can't believe you're actually doing it, Jisan. Wanna get on yipyapper's list so bad or what?
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

newnar wrote:Can't believe you're actually doing it, Jisan. Wanna get on yipyapper's list so bad or what?
The "Unsung Heroes" list? I really don't care. I was actually inspired to do this because of Katawa Shoujo itself. I've started writing quite a few novels and other stories, but I've never once been able to follow through with it. Not only am I doing this for the community to enjoy, but I'm doing this for myself as well, as a way to show myself that, yes, I can do something when I really put my mind to it. If not for my experiences with KS, I doubt I'd follow through with such an ambitious project.

I've lived my entire life with zero ambition, so I thought it's about time I did something worth doing.
FstrthnU

Post by FstrthnU »

I honestly never expected someone to actually go ahead with this, wow! Good luck with the project! Who knows, maybe Katawa Shoujo can also be indie novel of the year! XD
newnar

Post by newnar »

Oh my god I can see myself buying a copy from the nearest bookstore alr. Not trying to be sarcastic, ganbade, Jisan!!! Will offer any form of help you might need.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

It probably wouldn't be available in any bookstores, unfortunately, but you'd likely be able to get it directly from Create Space as well as Amazon.com.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Chotto Matte!!! Are you allowed to sell it? Cause a novel is still a form of merchandise too isn't it?
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

I think as long as no profit is made, I can distribute it, and as far as I'm aware, if it is labeled as "unofficial" then it's not against copyright. It would still cost money to purchase it, but that money would go to the publisher, not to myself, and would simply cover the printing/processing/shipping/handling fees.
newnar

Post by newnar »

If you say so then.

I'll definitely get 2 copies. 1 for me 1 for Hanako. But we'll read my copy together and leave hers on display.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Okay, so, this is how much it would cost to ship to the continental US (add the amount on top with one of the amounts on bottom).

You can find the price calculator HERE, in case you want to see the rates for other countries. It'll also be available as an eBook, apparently, which means that it'd be cheaper to buy it that way than it would be to ship it around the world.

EDIT: After fiddling around with it, it seems that Create Space takes a share of the listing price as their profit, which means that if I list it at the production price, they'll end up charging me for their share. It seems, in order to accommodate the gains and losses of revenue, and hopefully keep myself at the "no profit, but no loss" zone, I'd have to raise the price enough that I make a small (less than $1 USD) profit when the book is bought from the Create Space eStore, but I'd lose the same amount of revenue if it were bought from Amazon.com, so as to balance out. Currently, the asking price would be about $8 USD, assuming a 400 page book, but it could be more or less depending on the final product.
Last edited by UncleJellyfish on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Ebook version oughta be alot cheaper.
XanatosPlannedThis86

Post by XanatosPlannedThis86 »

It's a tricky task you have going for you. Funny, enough I'm reminded of a saying my Communications professor would say. (or Quoted from a book)

"The Medium is the Message"

To be honest, adapting this VN may have a certain impact. If you retain the level of emotional depth of and quality in the Novels I can see it certainly working. So long as the theme of all the girls routes remain, you may meet with a certain level of success. Here's the problem I see though: There are most likely novels ( in fact I think there was one that I read for my sixth grade English class) that have explored the same themes and subject matter as KS. Your going to have to do something really special in terms writing if you want it to stand out from the rest. Flowers For Algernon I believe explored a similar theme. (Granted it dealt with a mental disability rather then a physical.). The One that I know would make it stand out as a novel would possibly be the romance aspect of it.

What made it stand out in the first place was the fact that 1. It was an idea spawned at 4chan, 2. It was quite possibly the first or a rare VN which dealt with disabilities in a tasteful way. 3. Had Heroines which subverted or deconstructed tropes typically associated with Archetypes used in your average VN. (There are a few other VN's that have done this but none that actually dealt with the disability matter. Going back to the point. Medium is the message. And the use of the Visual Novel format to tell this kind of story makes it a rather unique as a message.

That being said, here my one suggestion for the novel so far: If your going to do pictures for certain sections of the novel. Might I suggest you, actually find someone to help you draw full pictures of certain key scenes. Or lesser used scenes. Might add a bit of zest to it. Just a thought so far.
Chronopolize

Post by Chronopolize »

What degree are revising are you doing as you transcribe the text? To be honest, it seems a bit unnecessary to retype everything, if the revisions are minimal. I know you can't access the text manually...but still. Something tells me otherwise, and I suppose transcribing all the lines gives a level of attention that would allow to catch and alter subtle things in the dialogue to accommodate it being in written format. I wonder what ways a novel would be used that a visual novel couldn't. It is very exciting to even consider the possibility of a paper novel. It'd be so special, that's for sure. I suppose that would make this project a "light novel"?

EDIT: holy crud, I just realized this thread is only 4 days old. That's some impressive progeess!