Hanako's Birthday Dilemna

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Uliana

Hanako's Birthday Dilemna

Post by Uliana »

This was a strange topic brought about by an IRC discussion, since I brought up the issue of Lilly's birthday (February 7, aka today) on the discussion. After a while, this happened:

"i wonder how many will wish hanako a happy birthday"
"WE ARE LEGION"
"i see someone didn't read hanako's route yet"
"I was kidding you know :p"

It did make me wonder about something though... how would you wish someone a happy birthday if they had reactions similar to that of Hanako's? How would you make them feel that their birthday is a special day without disrespecting their wishes?
dorne

Re: Hanako's Birthday Dilemna

Post by dorne »

I think what happened in the game seems too be most appropriate. Simply celebrate the birthday early, with friends.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

i had a friend tell me she hated being reminded of her birthday so i just never bring it up
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

It depends... which reaction? There's there one where she breaks down in the middle of class. And of course during the party where everyone wished her happy birthday. My memory is a bit bad right now and I'm planning to run through Hanako's again but she seems to be alright with it with Akira and Lilly. It might of been the reactions from Misha and Shizune such as making a very big deal out of it that caused her to break down like that.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

she seems to be alright with it with Akira and Lilly. It might of been the reactions from Misha and Shizune such as making a very big deal out of it that caused her to break down like that.
It's a tad tricky since, based on her confession at the end as to why she dislikes her birthday, you have to wonder how genuine her reaction was or whether she was acting more cheerful than she felt.

Prior to her confession, I'd say the best thing to do would be to celebrate it earlier and preferably combine it with something else. Afterwards, it'd be better to try and tackle the root of the problem so you don't have to dance around the issue anymore...though even then it'd be best to limit the attendancy to the few people she feels close to.

Post by Guest »

I just wouldn't make it a birthday thing. No cake or massive parties, just me, the birthday person and a small group of trusted friends going out to the cinema or bowling. A bit like a "normal day out" sort of thing, yet if I pay for my friend's tickets or food or whatever it's a bit like a birthday gift in itself.
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNB

Post by CNB »

Some people just don't like to make a big deal about their birthdays, even if they don't have complexes about them. It's not like there aren't 364 other days of the year (this year has 365!) in which to be kind to your friends.

Hanako doesn't strike me as much of a party girl to begin with. If I felt like trying to get her to do something for it besides lock herself in her room for days, I definitely wouldn't frame it as, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANAKO! LET'S GO AND CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY WITH ALL OUR FRIENDS! I'VE BEEN PLANNING THIS FOR WEEKS AND IT'LL BE SUPER FUN JUST LIKE A BIRTHDAY PARTY SHOULD BE! WE MADE YOU A BIRTHDAY CAKE AND EVERYTHING!"
newnar

Post by newnar »

I would organise a chess competition.
Best of 11.
Maximum number of participants:2
Loser has to pay for a 4hr poolfest for 2.
Loser from the pool session has to give 9001 hugs to the winner.

Do you guys think Hanako plays Starcraft 2? Cause she seems to be active on the computer and if she likes chess...