Psychological issues?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
phantomwolf
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Psychological issues?

Post by phantomwolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

There's something that confused me about the game. Now, I only just started and beat Hanako's route, and started on Lily's, but something said in the latter confused me.

They said the school only dealt with those who had physical disabilities, and not mental disabilities. but it seems pretty clear to me (especially with Hanako) that the school accommodates for those suffering from psychological problems, which do count as mental disabilities. Hanako wasn't the only one who showed signs of suffering from psychological issues; there's Rin, Kenji, and to some extent Misha as well. Wouldn't it also be discriminating for the school to deny someone based on a mental disability as well? So I don't really understand why that was said.


Also, I found it confusing how the nurse talked about Hiseo's issues in plain sight when apparently the staff aren't allowed to discuss such problems out in the open and such.

User avatar
Ivan The Mouse
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by Ivan The Mouse » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Japanese atmosphere and culture, man.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.

GaseousMask
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by GaseousMask » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 pm

The school is specialized for disabled students. The school just isn't just for disabled students. I forgot who said that but normal students also attend the school. Also Hanako said that she came to this school so that she wouldn't be bullied around anymore cause of her scars seeing how mostly everyone has some type of physical disability and hoping that she would also fit in. But seeing how bad her post traumtic stress disorder (my guess), they might as well hire her a therapist, seeing how it does have an integrated hospital. It also seems that no one knows about Rin's mental issues considering how they just call her "unique" and just forget about it.

phantomwolf
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by phantomwolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 pm

GaseousMask wrote:The school is specialized for disabled students. The school just isn't just for disabled students. I forgot who said that but normal students also attend the school. Also Hanako said that she came to this school so that she wouldn't be bullied around anymore cause of her scars seeing how mostly everyone has some type of physical disability. But seeing how bad her emotions were, they might as well hire her a therapist, seeing how it does have an integrated hospital. It also seems that no one knows about Rin's mental issues considering how they just call her "unique" and just forget about it.
I remember that normal students can attend the school as well. Though the way they worded it made it seemed like those with mental disabilities outright weren't allowed in the school (may be a misunderstanding on my part), which I found odd considering that the school seems to be sensitive towards and accommodate for those who seem to have them. It just seems odd to me to have such a comment I guess. Hmm.. I guess it could be the main focus of the school is those with physical disabilities, but other types of disabilities are accommodated for, though not as throughly, and would probably go to other schools that had a stronger focus on those issues. That seems to make more sense.

User avatar
MoonShadow
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: In my pants, most of the time.

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by MoonShadow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Does a normal school refuse students with lesser mind disorder? It doesn't. Yamaku either.

If a student with Asperger Syndrome wants to apply to any school, they can't refuse him because of that.
If that student is deaf or lost his legs, he would want to apply to Yamaku, and Yamaku couldn't refuse him just like the normal school.
You can remplace Asperger Syndrome with Bipolarity, lesser Schizophrenia, Dyslexia, ADT, etc. All those are mind disorder but are no reason to refuse a student.

What Yamaku refuses are heavy mind disorder : Autism, heavy Schizophrenia, heavy Paranoia, excessive phobia, etc. There are specialized school for those type of mind disorders.

Also, any student can develop depression for any reason. Depression is a mental disorder, it's just not permanent. Would Yamaku expel said student because it doesn't accept mental disorder?
That's why ALL schools MUST have a therapist or a psychologist in their staff.

About the examples you give :
Hanako : No mental disorder here. She just suffered a lot in the past. She also suffer depression from time to time, mostly around her birthday.
Rin : I suspect Rin from having Asperger Syndrome. Still not a reason to expel her from Yamahu.
Kenji : His case is hard to define. He probably have slight paranoia, maybe something else. It could be good for him to talk to a therapist, but I don't think he would want to talk with them anyway. Stil no reason to get expelled.
Misha : I don't see any mental disorder. Probably had ADT in her young age. Maybe some depression at some point.
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.

Nekken

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by Nekken » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Certainly some of the girls have their share of psychological problems: Emi shows signs of PTSD, Hanako has a whole stack of social and anxiety problems, and so on. But ultimately, they function more or less normally: their issues do not amount to disabilities, <i>per se</i>, and they seem to need no more treatment for them than could be provided by Yamaku's usual facilities (for example, Hanako's therapist).

Yamaku isn't equipped to deal with someone who wouldn't be able to function at all, and that's the sort of "mental disability" they're talking about not being able to admit.

User avatar
charmisokay
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by charmisokay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 am

I think they just wont take 1) Students with only mental problems.
2) Students with heavy-mental problems.

Or so I think anyways.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.

User avatar
VIVI
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by VIVI » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 am

(holy god i get it!
Kenji no is paranoid,or is only a few. He is, in first place, an hikikomori bordeline.In Japan, be an hiki is very bad and embarrasing for their society. Then Kenji maybe began to lie constantly about the woman conspiracy like excuse of his aislament. And this is the fun part, his imagination no have limits. :lol: now, if we begin to analize why he is an hikikomori... :( )

Well, people with disabilities had fight with strong things in their lives, and is very probable who they have psychological assistance in Yamaku if is needed... Since accepts the loss of a part of the body, to depression or anxiety. Maybe even have students with terminal cancer there.

I think who they no accept "people with only mental problems" because they no have the structure for do both things. People with diverse mental problems needs specialization, because this is more complex, for the variety of this kind of disorders etc. (and then Yamaku would be gigantic, with practically a full hospital inside, lots of classrooms for every group of students, a big group of teachers with specialization in this kind of people, lots of rooms for them, a more big cafeteria, etc.)

User avatar
MoonShadow
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: In my pants, most of the time.

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by MoonShadow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 am

charmisokay wrote:I think they just wont take 1) Students with only mental problems.
2) Students with heavy-mental problems.

Or so I think anyways.
1) is not always true, since they accept students without physical disability, like Misha. A school simply cannot refuse students with a light mental disorder (unless there is another reason to refuse them). They would be setting themselves for a losing trial in justice.
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.

Killertje

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by Killertje » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 am

I think the most important difference between Hanako and a retard is that Hanako can still learn like everyone else whereas someone with a mental disability (not disorder) can't. The difference being that with a disability your brain is fucked/broken in some places, while a disorder means it's working fine. In Hanako's case she learned to be shy because of being bullied, but her brain isn't damaged in any way.

User avatar
charmisokay
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by charmisokay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 am

MoonShadow wrote:1) is not always true, since they accept students without physical disability, like Misha. A school simply cannot refuse students with a light mental disorder (unless there is another reason to refuse them). They would be setting themselves for a losing trial in justice.
Ohh yeah you are right about that, hmm....
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.

User avatar
MoonShadow
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: In my pants, most of the time.

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by MoonShadow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 pm

Killertje wrote:The difference being that with a disability your brain is fucked/broken in some places, while a disorder means it's working fine.
You are wrong. Lets take Asperger Syndrome and Autism; both are mental DISORDER that make you think differently. The brain works all fine, but in a different way than "normal" people. Asperger Syndrome is, after all, the lightest form of Autism. But then, why does an autist can't go to a normal school, while an asperger can? The autist is fucked/broken? No. He just think differently.

Autism is a SEVERE brain DISORDER (not disability), severe enough to be refused to a normal school. Asperger Syndrome is a LIGHT brain DISORDER (not disability), but it's light enough to go to a normal school. Aside from the severity of the disorder, Autism and Asperger Syndrome are similar.

Trisomy 21 is a disability, because in this case there is something missing (a chromosome), or as you put it, the brain is fucked/broken.
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.

User avatar
hickwarrior
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:11 am
Location: Sailing oceans of emotions

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by hickwarrior » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:05 pm

MoonShadow wrote:
Killertje wrote:The difference being that with a disability your brain is fucked/broken in some places, while a disorder means it's working fine.
You are wrong. Lets take Asperger Syndrome and Autism; both are mental DISORDER that make you think differently. The brain works all fine, but in a different way than "normal" people. Asperger Syndrome is, after all, the lightest form of Autism. But then, why does an autist can't go to a normal school, while an asperger can? The autist is fucked/broken? No. He just think differently.

Autism is a SEVERE brain DISORDER (not disability), severe enough to be refused to a normal school. Asperger Syndrome is a LIGHT brain DISORDER (not disability), but it's light enough to go to a normal school. Aside from the severity of the disorder, Autism and Asperger Syndrome are similar.

Trisomy 21 is a disability, because in this case there is something missing (a chromosome), or as you put it, the brain is fucked/broken.
there's also something called PDD-nos, which is also a form of autism, but very light. I know I have it, but I think I need to put some research into it to see how it affects me.

Even then, I'm still doing fine in classes, even if I'm absentminded at times and have a hard time focusing on my work. But I guess that has more to do with 'environmental noise'.
Meh, I just liked how the location sounded in my mind. I'm not really into sailing myself.

User avatar
NoOne3
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by NoOne3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Also, autism, and autism spectrum disorders should be distinguished, since these are not the same.

User avatar
MoonShadow
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: In my pants, most of the time.

Re: Psychological issues?

Post by MoonShadow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm

NoOne3 wrote:Also, autism, and autism spectrum disorders should be distinguished, since these are not the same.
I know that, but I just wanted to stay as simple as possible while still proving my point.
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.

Post Reply