KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Chronopolize

Re: KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

Post by Chronopolize »

1. Which girl's thread affected you the most emotionally? Why did it do this?

Lilly. I was attracted to the character, and wanted to learn more. The transition between polite, cordial, and loving was very endearing. The wheat field scene, the face feeling scene and the scene of Hanako hugging Lilly are extremely picturesque. The airport scene is convincingly enough done.The hospital scene following feigns on coming full circle: showing Hisao wondering half-seriously if Yamaku was all just twisted dream. He is back to the mental state he was originally, after his first heart attack. Basically, the story goes in a way, where it could truly reach an end for the game, both neatly and artistically, with Lilly forever leaving.

2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
Emi. I reached the good ending on the first run, answering according to my own thoughts. The options I picked were not necessarily the action I would've take if no options were shown; there was both a player (of a visual novel) element and a self-insert character element to the decision making. Ultimately the choices were sparse, but in turn, that made them significant. The thought process was something like this. "Ok, immediate striking option? Pick it. If not, think about the ramifications of the choices. Then check again emotionally/instinctly, except more finely. If still nothing, look at the game as a game and try and guess how a correct option could be formulated." All of these were more blended in with each other in practice, but I remember in particular Hanako's *Trust yourself/lilly, was a real long hard think. Rin's more abstract choices were so abstract they devolved into a gut feeling. Emi's first key decision, the one to listen to what Mutou has to say, was a great disguised choice. I was so sure that saying "I have to go" and pursuing Emi was right choice, that I had to replay the surrounding segment twice with the flowchart before I realized that, was in fact the wrong decison. While the actual relevance of the discussion with Mutou was contrived, the idea is quite easily there. Ignorance induced by acting blindly.
3. In what order would you rate the quality of the girls' threads?
By preference/experience: Lilly, Emi, Hanako, Rin, Shizune (decreasing)
By merit: Rin, Lilly, Hanako, Shizune, Emi

Rin: I have quite high regard for the arc who's meaning largely passed by me. The idea is original, so is the conflict that occurs in that path. It's convoluted, but it doesn't seem to be that way for the sake of that. I think it's also disability which is most shocking/unnerving (with no bad intentions) to the player when they first see it.

All the arcs had something to bring, but they also all had pieces of the plot which left the reader wondering. Rin had the problem of how Rin dressed or even ate when she was staying at the upstairs store. Lilly had the question of why she chose to keep moving closer to Hisao despite knowing that she was being summoned (apparently, I'm not sure), before she left for Scotland for 1 week the first time. I don't know why they just didn't make it so that Lilly actually receives notice AFTER she comes back from scotland for the first time. Shizune's thread felt quite detached, with lack of much romance, and the almost episodic nature of the thread. This is actually is justified in hindsight, but the execution could have been been done more tightly. Emi's thread just had a bizarre handling of Hisao's knowledge of Emi's father's death. That was quite detracting, especially since that was a critical part of the last acts.

Playing multiple arcs within a short span (only 1 day in between) does detract from your enjoyment. Also, the first few threads one plays are generally the better experience because what you will realize to be common elements between arcs, instead show up as unique events.

Finally, one thing which I've heard someone else say that I wholely agree with is that while the ordering does show your preferences, it doesn't show how close the arcs are. Honestly, the more you think about them, the less envisionable the arcs seem and the more uncertain you become of which arc you prefer. It is a much clearer distinction right after you finish the arcs, though if you go by that setting, then the arcs you did earliest will be mostly forgotten.
4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?

Emi: Awareness
Lilly: Openness
Rin: Understanding
Hanako: Equality
Shizune: Judgment

The immediate tendency when summarizing the thread, especially with the wording given (*key to complete thread) is to give the word that directly relates to the critical choice in the thread. Especially when you know exactly what the critical decisions are from looking at a flowchart post-run. A decison is easier to represent in a word then a person. I think the words chosen are as on the mark as one can be, yet quite unsatisfactory.
5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)

Emi 4h, (including Act 1)
Lilly 4h
Rin: 3h
Hanako 3h
Shizune 0.45h+2h (skipped through, then came back 2 weeks later and restarted part way through))

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.

A history of thyme:
Hisao: "Oh? And what about me?"
She suddenly runs ahead of me and turns, blocking me off.
With a smile, she holds her hands behind her as she leans forward.
Lilly: "You're different"
And with that, she turns back and continues to walk ahead of me, a newfound spring in her step.
The surrounding lines are contemplative and a lot more articulate. This was a good break in the heavier atmosphere, and it revealed a new part of Lilly's personality. All that, in a walk to the grocery store.
7. Give an exampe of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.

The scene in the empty classroom where Rin breaks down, and Hisao is totally at a loss. That was a great scene which highlighted a rare emotion: fear of uncertainty. Fear of being unable to understand or even reach Rin, ever. Being in love with Rin, and having just seen Nomiya yell at her, and himself having yelled at her, and being the one who pressed/encouraged her to pursue art: that just compounds the emotional agony.
8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?

I have not been in a relationship, but I think KS makes you better prepared, emotionally for a relationship. While the scenes may not reflect real life, they are experiences which you can look back on and go "hey, I've seen this before". It also makes you reflect about yourself and your actions. Perhaps you can avoid making an errors similiar to one Hisao made. Experiencing first hand the emotions from playing Katawa Shoujo is an experience in itself. Ultimately, I think it's the perspectives gained which helps you the most.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

1. Rin. To me, it seemed realistic in wanting to understand another person yet being unable to do so.

2. Rin. I mostly answered randomly, but replayed until I got all of Rin's endings.

3. Rin, Hanako, Emi, Lilly, Shizune

Rin: understand
Hanako: slack!
Emi: persistence
Lilly: honesty
Shizune: fidelity (not the audio kind)

5. About 4 hours each

6. "What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"

7. "Even if I were to get up from this couch, walk over to you right now, and punch you in the forehead with brass knuckles with a condensed edition of my life story on them, leaving my biography imprinted on your face, you would not understand"

8. I'd say yes, to a small extent, just because you get different perspectives playing KS
Jalopy

Post by Jalopy »

Rin's thread affected me the most. I identified with her deeply, as someone who is pressured by others to accomplish and aspire to more.

2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
Hanako, with my own decisions.

Rin > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Emi

4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?
Rin: Understanding
Hanako: Respect
Lilly: Communication
Shizune: Dedication
Emi: Compassion

5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)
5 to 6 hours each.

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.
The giant block of text in "Dandelions", at the end of Act 2 of Rin's arc. I thought it was just a joke at first, but when I actually read it, I was absolutely floored. Rin may seem to be on cloud nine, but she suddenly opens up and spits out how she herself is confused and worried because of her inability to communicate effectively. And of course, she does this in the most wild and Rin-like way possible. The last line "misunderstanding is so easy but understanding is not" resounds strongly throughout her arc, the other arcs, and in real life. Hisao's response, that it's okay for people to befriend and love each other despite not fully understanding each other, because that's how people begin to understand each other, really touched and inspired me.

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.
Hisao telling Emi that he is wants to help her simply because he loves her, not out of pity, in "Saving Throw". These lines held the genuine compassion that Hisao struggled so hard to communicate before, using beautifully straightforward language.

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?
I am not currently in a relationship, but I feel that playing Katawa Shoujo has taught me a great deal about how to approach relationships. The problems and drama Hisao faces in each arc may be a little exaggerated, but they are challenges in the real world too. The way Hisao and his chosen girl overcome or fail these challenges serve as fine examples of how to and how not to handle a relationship.
Chronopolize

Post by Chronopolize »

@Jalopy Haha I thought someone would see that there was just one response remaining and jump on it. Welcome to the KS forums!
Mr. Wang

Post by Mr. Wang »

I suppose I'm #101 then. A pity really, but I suppose it helps me recount on why this visual novel has made me feel the way I do about its impact on me...

Without a doubt, Lilly's. In essence, the story was able to teach me some things. Not only was I able to just be engrossed within the tale of a young man and a young woman, but I felt like I was able to relate to both Lilly and Hisao as he was portrayed in this route. Plus, Hisao displayed some degree of dependence on Lilly. She was seemingly perfect, and everything would be better if he looked up to her. But, it was not so. Hisao would realize that she's just as much a person with as much pressure as anyone else. While we may be absorbed in worlds of fiction, we must be able to learn not to be dependent on its experiences. In spite of seeming idealistic, we must learn that even though we think a world of fiction such as Katawa Shoujo is perfect, we must learn that it is indeed a story of experiences, emotion, and feeling, all of these sensations that are not absent from our own reality.

I simply followed my instinct, and I managed to get Lilly's good end first.

Lilly, Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune

Lilly: Determination
Hanako: Equality
Emi: Compassion
Rin: Acceptance
Shizune: Trust

Perhaps about 4 hours each, I'd say.

Lilly's route - "We're just two children, pretending to be adults, aren't we?"

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.

Shizune's route - "Living vicariously through the happiness of others doesn't seem so bad. Feeling joy through another person's happiness doesn't seem like a bad thing. It's the easiest way I can think of to draw out my own life, and give it distinction."

Perhaps yes, perhaps no. I must remind myself that real life does not always present itself in scenarios that seem so ideal to us. There are good times, bad times, crap times, blissful times. But... perhaps it at least makes me think of my partners, their eccentricities, what might be in store for me... Do I ever feel like I'll meet a woman as great as Lilly Satou? Nope. Do I ever feel like I'm going to meet a woman who's great in her own way? Most definitely. Maybe I won't meet a girl exactly like Lilly. But will I find love? Will I be able to feel all the emotions that Hisao was able to share with her? Will I meet a girl who's heart is just as beautiful?

My gentleman's honor and chivalric heart continues to guide me to say, "yes."
~I only have eyes for you
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

Lilly hit home pretty hard for me. I have some... problems, that I don't discuss with people usually. I started playing her story like any other, saving at every dialogue option so I could go back later and change what I said for the 100% completion run, but then something happened. I felt BAD for lying to her, a video game character. Hell I played through all of jade empire with the super evil path where you basically destroy the world and rip people apart emotionally all the time and I felt BAD. So I went back, played through all of her path from the start and for some reason it felt... better, not good, but better. As I said, hit close to home, I've been talking to some people I know more openly recently and I feel better about it, even when it ends up tearing down walls I've spent the last 20 years building.

I Actually went through Emi's path first by accident. Started up the game knowing nothing about it except that one of my patients told me I had to play/read it and just went with it; ending with Emi's good ending. I haven't gone back and gotten her bad ending yet, though there doesn't appear to be a cg for it. Thought it was pretty good and moved on to the next one.

Lily, Rin, Hanako, Emi, Shizune (Though I like shizune as a character, reminds me of my wife, her story has NO choices in it that don't consist of obviously stupid things to do.)

Lily: Truth
Shizune: Drive
Emi: Space (the kind you need to give not the outerspace kind)
Hanako: Beleiving
Rin: Dotivation

I'll give both, Lilly's was the only one that took longer that 4-5 hours ending at 6 and a halfish, but I read pretty fast.

I actually had the day off of work and I just sort of forgot to sleep after I started, ended up playing them back to back starting at like 9pm on a Saturday.

Lilly's wheat field scene would be the 2nd to come to mind RIGHT after the scene following it, where hanako notices how your acting around Lilly when shes setting the table. Had that happen with my wife's roomate in college, except she called us out on it immediately. Just now realized why I liked Misha so much.

Shizune's bad end. Man did that HURT and I only did it for the 100% completion.

After playing this I had a long talk with my wife for quite some time. It wasn't pleasant but she's always been there for me and outing my years of lies to her seems to have releived a tension I didn't even know was there. We're... better now for it. Also I made her play/read this too afterwords. Totally worth it, say's she'll never question me doing weird stuff to help a patient again.

Also since it will likely be asked of me: I'm a Certified O&P technician/fitter, or as I say to people who ask what that is: I build fake limbs for people that need them.

Edit: Oh damn looks like I'm 101 or 102. Shouldn't have thought on this as hard as I did and posted it last night.
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

As some folks have noted here, yes I have my 100 responses. I've compiled them all on a single Excel file, so that I can better analyze the results.

Now to the next phase ... the computer I had KS on died on me, so I need to re-download it. :oops: Another part of this is to observe someone else playing it and record their responses to the same questionnaire, so here comes the hard part: trying to convince my wife to play it.

I'll be getting to work on this once I have that part done. In the meantime, keep posting: this is interesting! :D
Hitman3256

Post by Hitman3256 »

Good too see you have all the information you need, professor!
Im very glad I was able to contribute ^^
I'm almost distressed for you as you have to ask your wife to play the game :P and watch her do so, is it going to be in one sitting? (not the whole thing in one sitting of course)
Well, good luck with that! Cant wait to read the paper once its done.

On another note, I have a challenge for you: Answer your own questionnaire and post it up :D No fair we can't know the prof's opinion while we pour our hearts out for him :P
Hehe
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Hitman3256 wrote:On another note, I have a challenge for you: Answer your own questionnaire and post it up :D No fair we can't know the prof's opinion while we pour our hearts out for him :P
Hehe
That's only fair. And you should do it before writing the paper, so your answers wont be biased by it.
Hitman3256

Post by Hitman3256 »

NoOne3 wrote:
Hitman3256 wrote:On another note, I have a challenge for you: Answer your own questionnaire and post it up :D No fair we can't know the prof's opinion while we pour our hearts out for him :P
Hehe
That's only fair. And you should do it before writing the paper, so your answers wont be biased by it.
Yes yes!! I agree :D do it before the paper, which means, now!!!
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Fair's fair, after all.

Hanako's and Rin's affected me most, for slightly different reasons. Both girls remind me of my wife, but in different ways: Hanako's social awkwardness, particularly her panic attack, stood out to me because I've helped my wife come down from several panic attacks in the past. For Rin, just her personality and her ability to be random in the most unusual ways, another trait my wife shares.

Emi's, solely by my wits and what I felt were the right answers. They nearly killed Hisao, but they got the girl!

Hanako-Lilly-Emi-Rin-Shizune

Hanako: Freedom
Lilly: Open-heartedness
Emi: Challenge
Rin: Lightly
Shizune: Companion

Approx. 5 hours each.

Hanako's panic attack, which was very realistic, and Hisao's reaction was as well. Having dealt with panic attacks before, I commend the writers for being so accurate about Hanako's actions and Hisao's confusion. They're hard to deal with.

Shizune using getting away from Jigoro as an excuse to fit in a quickie with Hisao. It's part of the great sense of off-kilter humor her path had, particularly when it dealt with her offbeat family.

It truly has. As I mentioned in another thread, me and my wife just did couples' therapy last year, for a short period of time, because we were having communication issues, partly related to empathy problems on my part. Empathy is something I thought I had, but after KS I have to re-evaluate how I go about showing my empathy. As other posters have mentioned before, this game has a tendency to de-"white knight" its players, to make them realize that dealing with women, especially ones with special circumstances like the girls in KS, requires not so much obvious chivalry and more of a gentle, sculptor's touch when it comes to their feelings.

Empathy is a big thing I need to work on, I know, especially since everything changes in June when we have our first child. When I downloaded KS and played it, we had been about three months along. Now that we're getting closer, I'm using lessons I've learned in dealing with the KS girls to handle my wife's emotions and to try and help her through it (she was really reluctant to have kids, BTW).

Is that satisfactory? :lol:
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Hitman3256 wrote:I'm almost distressed for you as you have to ask your wife to play the game :P and watch her do so, is it going to be in one sitting? (not the whole thing in one sitting of course)
We're one of those unique couples who tend to like each other's company nearly constantly, with a few exceptions. Not only will I be able to watch her reactions, but I'm also going to give her the same questionnaire I gave all of you once she reaches all five good endings.

I should also mention that my wife works as an engineer, and because of this she tends to be one of the more jaded people I know. If KS can work its way into her heart like it has a lot of other folks, then we'll know the power of the game.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Prof. Coyote wrote:I should also mention that my wife works as an engineer, and because of this she tends to be one of the more jaded people I know. If KS can work its way into her heart like it has a lot of other folks, then we'll know the power of the game.
Don't worry, it probably will. While not everyone will like this game, I'm pretty sure the only people who won't be somewhat emotionally affected are people that went into this for the sake of hating it and ignore the subtleties, people who have NEVER observed and interacted with other humans, nitpickers, or people who are a 100% sane with no problems whatsoever. :lol:
Hitman3256

Post by Hitman3256 »

Prof. Coyote wrote:Empathy is a big thing I need to work on, I know, especially since everything changes in June when we have our first child. When I downloaded KS and played it, we had been about three months along. Now that we're getting closer, I'm using lessons I've learned in dealing with the KS girls to handle my wife's emotions and to try and help her through it (she was really reluctant to have kids, BTW).

Is that satisfactory? :lol:
Very satisfactory, and thanks for sharing your thoughts also :D And congratulations on your future child!!!! ^^
Prof. Coyote wrote:
Hitman3256 wrote:I'm almost distressed for you as you have to ask your wife to play the game :P and watch her do so, is it going to be in one sitting? (not the whole thing in one sitting of course)
We're one of those unique couples who tend to like each other's company nearly constantly, with a few exceptions. Not only will I be able to watch her reactions, but I'm also going to give her the same questionnaire I gave all of you once she reaches all five good endings.

I should also mention that my wife works as an engineer, and because of this she tends to be one of the more jaded people I know. If KS can work its way into her heart like it has a lot of other folks, then we'll know the power of the game.
This is great! I hope she'll get moved as well, maybe her life will be affected as well :) I think....I know we have females in these forums, somewhere...around....not sure how they felt about the game though. Will you be putting up your wife's answers to the questionnaire as well? You know, when she plays it all. That would be interesting.

Thanks again prof :P
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Hitman3256 wrote:This is great! I hope she'll get moved as well, maybe her life will be affected as well :) I think....I know we have females in these forums, somewhere...around....not sure how they felt about the game though. Will you be putting up your wife's answers to the questionnaire as well? You know, when she plays it all. That would be interesting.
I'll certainly be putting her answers to the questionnaire up. As far as an update goes, last night I managed to get her to consent to play the game (after numerous "Excel Saga"-related wisecracks), so now all I need to do is get the game again and let 'er rip.