What else made you cry?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Dream

Re: What else made you cry?

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Eh, I still get pleasure from my existence. It's worth enough to keep me from self-termination until I can arrange better things. :lol:

And yeah...The consequence is Cool As Ice is a shitty Vanilla Ice vanity flick from the 90s...But looks goddamn great. XD

And I never played SH2 but I saw an LP. Hell of an ending.
Well, in my case it's rather ambiguous, i have things i enjoy doing, and things i'm good at, but it seems that whenever i try something (not exactly hobbies) or try to get somewhere with my life, things just get inevitably fucked. Something goes wrong, it wasn't as i thought it was, i get betrayed, the little hapiness i had gets broken by outside cirscumtances, etc. I've been back to open field/square one more times than i can remember, and it has never gotten any easier. But yeah i would say that i too find my existence bearable, if probably not too enjoyable. Also, i think i've seen that sequence from the Vanilla Ice movie, it indeed looks really really good, so at least the guy can be happy knowing that he was the most talented person on the set.

Also, about Silent Hill 2:

I have to admit i'm somewhat amused at the mention of "Hell of an ending" Since SH2 has three basic/"serious" endings, and other three endings that can't be gotten on a initial playthrough (Although it also gives me the idea of how nice would be an experiment where you tell a bunch of people that SH2 only has one ending, and then you see what are their thoughts or analyses about the game, i imagine that a person who thinks the story inevitably ends with "In Water" would have a very different overall perspective and analysis of the game compared to someone who thinks "Maria" is the only ending of the game). And i would agree that, gag/comical endings aside, the endings of SH2 have a really great impact. I have to admit i'm surprised you watched an LP of SH2 without playing it though, i assume you didn't have the game at the time? I admit it's kind of a shame, since Silent Hill 2 really uses the medium characteristics unique to videogames for enhancing it's gameplay and story, that combined with the emotional impact and psychological nuances make it a game that really isn't the same if you're watching it in an LP compared to playing it.

And if you don't mind me asking, what happened in the ending you got?
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Eh, I still get pleasure from my existence. It's worth enough to keep me from self-termination until I can arrange better things. :lol:

And yeah...The consequence is Cool As Ice is a shitty Vanilla Ice vanity flick from the 90s...But looks goddamn great. XD

And I never played SH2 but I saw an LP. Hell of an ending.
Well, in my case it's rather ambiguous, i have things i enjoy doing, and things i'm good at, but it seems that whenever i try something (not exactly hobbies) or try to get somewhere with my life, things just get inevitably fucked. Something goes wrong, it wasn't as i thought it was, i get betrayed, the little hapiness i had gets broken by outside cirscumtances, etc. I've been back to open field/square one more times than i can remember, and it has never gotten any easier. But yeah i would say that i too find my existence bearable, if probably not too enjoyable. Also, i think i've seen that sequence from the Vanilla Ice movie, it indeed looks really really good, so at least the guy can be happy knowing that he was the most talented person on the set.

Also, about Silent Hill 2:

I have to admit i'm somewhat amused at the mention of "Hell of an ending" Since SH2 has three basic/"serious" endings, and other three endings that can't be gotten on a initial playthrough (Although it also gives me the idea of how nice would be an experiment where you tell a bunch of people that SH2 only has one ending, and then you see what are their thoughts or analyses about the game, i imagine that a person who thinks the story inevitably ends with "In Water" would have a very different overall perspective and analysis of the game compared to someone who thinks "Maria" is the only ending of the game). And i would agree that, gag/comical endings aside, the endings of SH2 have a really great impact. I have to admit i'm surprised you watched an LP of SH2 without playing it though, i assume you didn't have the game at the time? I admit it's kind of a shame, since Silent Hill 2 really uses the medium characteristics unique to videogames for enhancing it's gameplay and story, that combined with the emotional impact and psychological nuances make it a game that really isn't the same if you're watching it in an LP compared to playing it.

And if you don't mind me asking, what happened in the ending you got?
Yeah, I can't say things I've pursued have failed because I'm currently only pursuing a few things. College, which is just the waiting game since I missed registration deadlines. Voc rehab office is getting stuff in order for next time. A job, which I've yet to pursue since the last failure (hoping to attend a con next year). And dropping weight, which I'll start in March because this is a month for too much chocolate. And...Don't get me started on betrayals. :lol: I can't count them I've dealt with so many.

And it was the Maria ending. And it was a livestream actually, not a recorded LP. I once told a bunch of people Heavy Rain only had one ending...

Unrelated fact: Sean Connery films sync up weirdly well to Kesha music.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

I cry a lot, but I have brain damage so...

The games that made me cry with actual deep emotion were:
Thomas Was Alone: "It is fitting that the first act of sentient AI was an act of selflessness. The architects knew their fate, but set our escape in motion regardless."
To The Moon: When River and John meet for the first time, and the full meaning of all the other scenes is finally felt.
Journey: I can't even explain this one, but it happened a lot.

There is also a moment in Shadow of the Colossus where I felt so unbelievably alone and helpless that I just broke down completely for a good 15-30 minutes, but that was before. I can't even play Shadow of the Colossus now. It's too fast for me to keep up with, I just die over and over.

Quick list of things that don't feel that notable to me anymore, Kana Little Sister, Private Nurse (thanks other people in the topic).

TV:
Battlestar Galactica: There is a part where Starbuck is overcome with the horribleness of a situation and just screams. Such an awful and primal and real thing that I don't even know how they got that scene out of that actress. Maybe I don't want to know, or maybe Katee Sackhoff is just that amazing.

Doctor Who: 10th doctor regeneration, "I don't want to go."

Angel Beats: Thanks to the rest of the topic for reminding me of this. Fantastic show.

Movies:
Disney/Pixar's "UP".
Last edited by Coleman on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preferences: 1-Lilly 2-Emi 3-Hanako 4-Rin 5-Shizune
Play Order: 1-Hanako 2-Shizune 3-Emi 4-Lilly 5-Rin
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Coleman wrote:I can't even play Shadow of the Colossus now. It's too fast for me to keep up with, I just die over and over.
Why's that? And I love Journey. Hang around the forum a bit.

Up is a great movie, period.

And it's Angel Beats. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Xanatos wrote:
Coleman wrote:I can't even play Shadow of the Colossus now. It's too fast for me to keep up with, I just die over and over.

Thanks, fixed XD

I have some problems with my reaction times and memory after a pretty bad prolonged oxygen deprivation thing that happened. They told me my brain would heal the lost connections but it never did. It makes most games unplayable for me. Part of why I play so many VNs, I can take things at my own pace. Even parts of Journey gave me some trouble, but that game doesn't punish you very hard for messing up and my wife was happy to help me with a really rough part in the snow area with the wind. Other people probably thought I was being deliberately slow. I was a bit saddened by how many left me behind.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Coleman wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Thanks, fixed XD

I have some problems with my reaction times and memory after a pretty bad prolonged oxygen deprivation thing that happened. They told me my brain would heal the lost connections but it never did. It makes most games unplayable for me. Part of why I play so many VNs, I can take things at my own pace. Even parts of Journey gave me some trouble, but that game doesn't punish you very hard for messing up and my wife was happy to help me with a really rough part in the snow area with the wind. Other people probably thought I was being deliberately slow. I was a bit saddened by how many left me behind.
Pretty sure brains don't work that way.

And you might check out the Journey forum. A lot of players there are a lot more patient. One guy even spent a half hour playing tic-tac-toe in the snow level. xD Hell, I've been longing for a companion who isn't so damned rushed.

And I can sympathize. I was born three months early with cerebrospinal fluid buildup in my skull (believed by father to result from doctor malpractice but suing was not an option then and it's too late now). Left side of brain got damaged before the drainage and shunt got installed. My right side's generally underdeveloped, shrunken, and the muscle control/coordination is iffy. Don't use the arm much. Ever play Infamous? Two of the three big boss battles requires button-mashing X while directing the analog stick to a designated point on-screen. Funny thing about button-mashing: Those buttons are on the right side. I had to hold the controller upside-down and all sorts of awkward shit to progress. :lol:
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Xanatos wrote:Pretty sure brains don't work that way.
Google Hypoxic-Anoxic Brain Injury if you really want to know more, I'm not going to fill the topic with it. Frankly I don't like thinking about it, dealing with it, or talking about it very much and I wasn't very nice or attentive when my doctors tried to explain specifics. I envy how open you can be about your health and things that have happened. I was told Recovery may take years but that it wasn't impossible, it's been a little over five years and I haven't seen much improvement for what seems like a long time.

I did try to play Infamous 2 because playstation plus gave it to me. There are some jumps I suck at and this mutant thing that charges at you repeatedly that caused me to give up.

I'll look into that forum about Journey though.

Edit: Bleh it is 3 AM where I am and I can tell I am just being an complete ass now; I need to lay down.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Coleman wrote:I envy how open you can be about your health and things that have happened.
Well, my condition was from birth. I'd probably feel worse about it if it had occurred later. The effects have still been shitty though. Also got autism so that screws with the mental side of things. :lol: Nothing we can do but live with our issues though, physical or otherwise. Only way humans survive.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Humans can live with almost anything; just don't ask them how.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:
Coleman wrote:I envy how open you can be about your health and things that have happened.
Well, my condition was from birth. I'd probably feel worse about it if it had occurred later. The effects have still been shitty though. Also got autism so that screws with the mental side of things. :lol: Nothing we can do but live with our issues though, physical or otherwise. Only way humans survive.
Man, that really sounds like a rough deal.

Personally, i don't have any physical as far as i'm aware (Outside of maybe a nutritional problem/incapacity to be more than underweight). Mentally, however, is another matter. Deppression, Borderline, Anxiety, and... Other problems. Thankfully i never got comitted although i think i was pretty close, ironically it was never after a suicide attempt that i would fear getting committed.

On topic, something else that made me cry... Hmm, didn't cry but got pretty teary-eyed at some parts of K-On!. Specially in episode 4 when Yui is playing for Mio and that cutesy music plays. I believe that's one of the high points of the series, and one of the moments that really make you like Yui.

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Personally, i don't have any physical as far as i'm aware (Outside of maybe a nutritional problem/incapacity to be more than underweight). Mentally, however, is another matter. Deppression, Borderline, Anxiety, and... Other problems. Thankfully i never got comitted although i think i was pretty close, ironically it was never after a suicide attempt that i would fear getting committed.

On topic, something else that made me cry... Hmm, didn't cry but got pretty teary-eyed at some parts of K-On!. Specially in episode 4 when Yui is playing for Mio and that cutesy music plays. I believe that's one of the high points of the series, and one of the moments that really make you like Yui.
I was forced to take a psychological evaluation after the crazy over-sensitive staff at the alternative high school swore I was a sociopath. (I'm sorry but the principal was built like a damn football player. Is a cripple's anger-fueled threat to gore him with a pitchfork REALLY an issue?)

I had to lie a bit to avoid commitment, actually. Though nowadays, I think I could use some help.

And I only saw one episode of K-On...
Dream

Post by Dream »

Frankly, i would take the mention of a pitchfork as a better indication that the threat is non-serious :lol: Thankfully my life never got me into a "smart your way out of commitment" minigame, although i share the sentiment of feeling like it could do some good. Even then... It's rather scary i think, you don't really know what it could turn into, i think.

And i assume you didn't become a fan, eh? :lol: have to admit, i think episode 1 is among the weakests, i think it gets better somewhere around or after episode 4, but episode 2 and 3 have their nice share of enjoyable parts too. Although it's possible that the premise is bound to not interest everyone.

inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

For me the emotional highlight was when Yui has a flashback and remembers she was a true musician after all as she reminisces her kindergarten days

untan
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:Frankly, i would take the mention of a pitchfork as a better indication that the threat is non-serious :lol: Thankfully my life never got me into a "smart your way out of commitment" minigame, although i share the sentiment of feeling like it could do some good. Even then... It's rather scary i think, you don't really know what it could turn into, i think.

And i assume you didn't become a fan, eh? :lol: have to admit, i think episode 1 is among the weakests, i think it gets better somewhere around or after episode 4, but episode 2 and 3 have their nice share of enjoyable parts too. Although it's possible that the premise is bound to not interest everyone.
:lol: It was a shit time. And really, my only motive for avoiding commitment was a lack of clocks in the place. I lose my damn mind if I can't grasp the passage of time. School had an 'isolation room' (for misbehaved students) with no clocks. I was there often.

And I enjoyed it well enough. Just never got around to more. :lol:
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Got another one. Anybody remember the old Oh! My Goddess! OVA from the 90's? Episodes 4-5 gave me pretty much the same feels I have these days with KS.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.