Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 357

Carnificus

Re: Did you cry while playing KS?

Post by Carnificus »

I'm not gonna lie, shit got real in Rin's route, so perhaps a single manly tear was shed.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Yep. And how.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Nissan

Post by Nissan »

I've yet to complete Shizune and Lilly's routes, so its probably not entirely fair for me to vote "no", but I haven't literally shed any tears so far.

There were plenty of scenes that made me feel depressed, though. Not to the point of tears, but I could really feel for the characters. Rin's was practically an emotional landmine - especially the "bad" endings (is there more than one? I only hit the one where Hisao yells at her in her atelier for the shitty way she treated him, before storming off and never seeing her again). Though there was plenty of angst to go around in the good/true route as well.

Coming in second in terms of making me weep internally would be Emi's route, I guess. The drama with the loss of her father and her trying to distance herself from others was pretty well written. Despite the cheerful focus character, Emi's route can really pack an emotional punch.

Hanako's route comes in third. When I tried out her route, I thought I'd need to prepare myself for waterworks, but It was surprisingly the least depressing of the three. Not to say that it was crappy. The main plot was enjoyable enough, and the ending was so sweet I thought it'd turn me into a diabetic. It may not be quite as melancholic as the other two, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
MoonShadow

Post by MoonShadow »

Nissan wrote:Rin's was practically an emotional landmine - especially the "bad" endings (is there more than one? I only hit the one where Hisao yells at her in her atelier for the shitty way she treated him, before storming off and never seeing her again).
Just so you know, that was Rin's bad ending. You also got the good one, but she also has a normal ending, which in my case made me cry, unlike the bad ending. Try to get it!
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.
DH531

Post by DH531 »

I cried alot when I played through Emi and Lilly's routes, probably a little for Hanako's, then less for Rin's route. Not saying that they were bad, I just think i'm just crying less in general, I may still shed the odd manly tear when I finish Shizune's route though. I also think I might get depressed when I complete KS 100%...who knows.
I'm also gonna go through Lilly's route again after getting all the other endings for the rest of the girls, just to see if I cry again haha (probably will, this being my first VN and all).
cabbiethefirst

Post by cabbiethefirst »

I've played emi's and half through Lilly's and I've broken down already.
Nissan

Post by Nissan »

MoonShadow wrote:
Nissan wrote:Rin's was practically an emotional landmine - especially the "bad" endings (is there more than one? I only hit the one where Hisao yells at her in her atelier for the shitty way she treated him, before storming off and never seeing her again).
Just so you know, that was Rin's bad ending. You also got the good one, but she also has a normal ending, which in my case made me cry, unlike the bad ending. Try to get it!
I've been playing without a guide/flowchart so far, so I've only been aiming to score the "good" endings. Infact, Rin's bad ending is the only bad ending I've triggered so far. Her route required the most thinking, and made me feel like most of the choices I made were only neutral at best.

The choices that popped up for Hanako and Emi's routes seemed pretty obvious, and since I wasn't purposely aiming for their bad/normal ends, I never bumped into 'em.

Not sure if I want to go back and trigger all the bad/normal endings I've missed so far. Kinda ruins the "happily ever after" feel of nabbing the good ones, you know?
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

Interesting (if expected) statistics.

Having completed all the routes short of Rin's, I have this to say:

The first three routes were very moving and from the start (I started with Shizune, of all of them, and loved it, which should speak volumes about how much I enjoyed the others) I knew that the experience would be defined by the emotions that it stimulated.

I took my time poring over Shizune, then Emi, then Hanako. I was stirred by Hanako's route especially, it was the one that was most obviously going to pull heartstrings. Thinking back, I'm still struck by the beauty of these routes, but the element of sadness that so many others were spilling their guts about just wasn't there for me. I think that I ended up seeing the happy side of things more often than not (sad as the events might be, they all turn out to be good things in the end).

And then I played Lilly's route. Goddamn it. Suffice it to say that Act 4 had me contorting my face into some pretty alien expressions to express the downright dejection of its low points. The music box. The goddamn music box. It never came to tears, but I think a lot of those that were still really emotionally affected by this game (as I know I am - I can't bring myself to do Rin, I'm still too torn up over Lilly) are just the kind of people that don't cry.

So, ultimately, I don't know if we can characterize these things in terms of "did you cry, or didn't you cry". I might not have cried, but stuff like this hits me in the gut every time I see it.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Rin♥ made me cry...tears of happiness, tears of sadness, and tears of "holy hell she fucked me up good"-ness.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

Rin's story was the only one that almost brought me to tears. I haven't cried since I was like 10, and I have never cried from happiness. I was so close too...

Then the good ending came. Dammit, that streak is gone. And I now have cried harder than I ever have on my life because of a game that was supposedly a cripple fetish game before I actually played it. Wow, was I wrong...
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
myshoesarebrown

Post by myshoesarebrown »

I don't tend to cry over games, books, tv, etc. Not that that's a good thing or a bad thing, I just don't. Don't know why.

My eyes get all watery at emotional moments, and in my mind I could totally see myself crying like a baby. But I don't end up actually doing it.
My shoes aren't actually brown. Well, one pair is, but I mostly wear grey ones.
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

like a baby, when i was palying lillys route and thought i got the bad end i felt dead inside. it was nuts, the moment i heard the music box playing, before i could even read the text i was suddenly crying tears of joy. this game totally gave me emotional whiplash.
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"
newnar

Post by newnar »

I was so sad tears wouldn't even come out.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Real men dont cry ..... so i guess im not a real man all paths made tears fall at least once .... Shizune bad end hit home for me ( even though its not my favorite path ... its the path i can relate to the most .... if that makes sense )
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Nope, but the feeling of the bottom of your heart dropping into a blender replaced the tears.

Couldn't eat properly without feeling sick, so my diet for a few days during and after each path consisted of tea.... and chocolate....
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi