What is your "True" route?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

What route in your opinion is "True" in Katawa Shoujo?

Emi Bad
1%
Emi Good
17%
Hanako Bad
1%
Hanako Neutral
1%
Hanako Good
19%
Lilly Bad
2%
Lilly Good
31%
Rin Bad
0%
Rin Neutral
1%
Rin Good
7%
Shizune Bad
1%
Shizune Good
7%
Kenji
14%

Total votes: 392

Robnonymous

Re: What is your "True" route?

Post by Robnonymous »

I have two "true" endings:

First, there's Emi's happy ending (BAH-dum-PSHHH!!). It was the ending I naturally came to without any preparations, plans or walkthroughs.

Second is Hanako's good ending, because I like Hanako enough to stubbornly cling to the idea of her finally being truly happy. Also, she's my waifu. Almost literally.
Bad Dreams (Hanako) - My first KS fanfic. it's actually a happy story
Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story) - My second KS fanfic. Not all that happy.
zomgbbq

Post by zomgbbq »

Rivan wrote:Gods, angels, demons, spirits and whatever... people!

Whenever there is multiple endings, there's always this stupid question of which is "canon", "true", "more likely than others", "the best" "the most likely to happen", "what would happen if real world was like game XYZ" "what would happen if we never intervened" "Which ending is the natural one"...

This is hopeless.

I can never understand this train of thought. Why the need to categorize things as such? Why strain our minds over what would happen, when clearly, in a game where a protagonist mirrors us to the same extent as he has his own personality, the true ending is the one we have worked for?

Shizune's good isn't the true ending, because Hisao may as well be uneasy with a girl that possesses such a personality and VASTLY prefer someone else. He may even be a bastard, cheater, sensualist/hedonist or a nymphomaniac, or simply prefer Mischa from the beggining just without being comletely sure of it, and as such, get Shizune's bad ending.

Emi's route isn't any truer than others, either, because Hisao may simply not have any interest in improving his condition little by little through rather hard exercise. Even if he does, he may have no interest in Emi herself, or may simply take up something different than running AFTER graduating from Yamaku on either of the other girls' routes.

Same applies to Lilly's route. The fact that she's the one and only case of an epilogue doesn't make her true, it's just that Suriko had this writing style and developed a story where immediate ending wasn't desireable and to end it on a happy note required a small timeskip.

To be honest, without intervention from player, who can give a clear-cut direction to Hisao and stop his depression as well as his jadedness by simply trying to get to know the girl(s) he thinks are nicest, dying after the manly picnic is the most likely.

Hisao needs the player in order to obtain any ending, because you're supposed to strengthen the existing parts of Hisao's personality and fill out the missing spots. Your ending is the true one, for you. Not anybody elses. Not a single ending is superior, better or more likely because no kind of logic applies to all possible variants of Hisao.

The topic will probably continue, but I must say this is pointless and hopeless.
Chill. I'm not asking the question because there is a "true" ending. I explained that in the opening sentence, I do understand that infact you essentially become Hisao after making the first few decisions in ACT 1.

This is more to do with opinion than anything else and whilst your post explains why the thread shouldn't exist, the first sentence I wrote shows the train of thought behind making the thread and makes your reply slightly useless. If I named the topic "What is the TRUE ending of KS?" you would have a point, but you've really just made something obvious a little bit more obvious.
"You're out of touch, I'm out of time.. But I'm out of my head when you're not around"

"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"
thisismyname09

Post by thisismyname09 »

Kenji's route, obviously.

Okay, maybe it isn't that likely that he'dfall off a roof and die, but isn't it kind of likely that he'd end up not going to that festival with anyone? If you picked choices in act 1 at random, there is certainly a much, much higher chance of ending up with kenji.
BlanketGhost

Post by BlanketGhost »

Hanako's good ending.

It is a tale of two people... who are seems like a world apart from each other, yet so similar to each other. They are both afraid to lose one another, they want to be at each other sides yet they do not completely understand each other. It is a long, sad and painful struggle. But in the end. Two kindred souls finally have truly found each other. It is heartrending, but in the end...it is totally worth it.

Totally...Worth...It...
DH531

Post by DH531 »

Well in terms of being the first route you play, I guess for me it would be Emi's good one. However I didn't know what I was doing since i've never played a VN before and just picked the options that helped with Hisao's condition (I didn't want the nurse to be mad haha).
Now on my second try (excluding Kenji's ending), I got Lilly's route, which was odd because I was trying for Hanako's route, anyway I felt that her good ending was the true ending because He ran after her at the airport, giving himself a heart attack in the process and I know that's cliched but it was more heart wrenching, and when he saw the music box in the hospital I was just overwhelmed. It just felt right. Also the epilogue might've been part of it too :D
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Just wondering...
Which of Rin's two bad endings do you consider neutral?
The one where they split up in anger or the one where they both end up heartbroken?

For the record, I consider the five good endings to be True endings, but there wasn't any option for that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Just wondering...
Kinda small Rin spoiler.
The one where they split up in anger or the one where they both end up heartbroken?.
Really minor Rin spoiler.
I would say the one where they both end up sad/heartbroken.
Last edited by charmisokay on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

zomgbbq wrote: Chill. I'm not asking the question because there is a "true" ending. I explained that in the opening sentence, I do understand that infact you essentially become Hisao after making the first few decisions in ACT 1.

This is more to do with opinion than anything else and whilst your post explains why the thread shouldn't exist, the first sentence I wrote shows the train of thought behind making the thread and makes your reply slightly useless. If I named the topic "What is the TRUE ending of KS?" you would have a point, but you've really just made something obvious a little bit more obvious.
Sorry but the point still stands. You still ask about a route that is the "route do you think was the route that Hisao "really" took if the game could play itself", only you basically give people an "I allow you" to write in their favorite ending if they want to. That's what many people do regardless of whether you ask them what is "THEIR true ending" or what is "the true/canon ending of" something, so this basically differs little from Your Favorite Route topic, only that some people will see the other side of the problem and actually try to explain why that route is "true".

I understand there's less harm done than in all-out free-for-all of asking for "teh cannon", but I still think it is somewhat pointless, one way or another.

In order not to spam I will tell once again that without any intervention from the player Hisao is bound to have little preference, taste, determination, resolve or goal at all, not to mention is likely to be very jaded from his hospital time, so actually the most likely route without player intervention would be Kenji.
charmisokay wrote:
The one where they split up in anger or the one where they both end up heartbroken?.
I would say the one where they both end up sad/heartbroken.
As this isn't Rin's topic, I think you guys should put spoilers on those things.

Also, the Neutral ending is pretty much any where the characters would either end up as friends, or definitely love one another but still have to separate due to other circumstances.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Spoiler'd, sorry but I didnt think what I did was spoiler-ing because I didnt reveal anything else than one of the routes ended up with them being sad/heartbroken.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Ditsch

Post by Ditsch »

It's hard to decide but well i take only good endings so i am down to 5. :)

So i can only see Emi (healthiest route and longest life) or Shizune (he kows what he wants and what his future will be)

The other 3 paths are selfdestruction and very unlikely in my eyes.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

As this isn't Rin's topic, I think you guys should put spoilers on those things.
Excessive overuse of spoiler tags drastically affects the readability of posts.
If someone doesn't want to be spoiled, they shouldn't read topics where the paths are discussed. It's called common sense, and yes, I know there is little enough of that on the internet...
I'll use spoiler tags, if I comment on a plot point in a thread about the OST for example.
Also, the Neutral ending is pretty much any where the characters would either end up as friends, or definitely love one another but still have to separate due to other circumstances.
Well, especially in Rin's case, I felt a lot sadder after her ending in the rain than after the other one. I'd never have thought of classifying it as "neutral." If anything it would be a worse ending.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
That1Dude92

Post by That1Dude92 »

For me it was Lilly's route. My 2 main reasons are: Hisao is probably the happiest in the end of this one, and it hit close to home considering I got the "neutral" Lilly ending IRL a few years back after my ex had to move away and i did nothing to try and stop her. :(

With that being said the epilogue added a nice touch at the end there which was unfortunately missing from the other endings.
Searching for the "Lilly" in my own life :D
Eien

Post by Eien »

That1Dude92 wrote:For me it was Lilly's route. My 2 main reasons are: Hisao is probably the happiest in the end of this one, and it hit close to home considering I got the "neutral" Lilly ending IRL a few years back after my ex had to move away and i did nothing to try and stop her. :(
I'm sorry to hear thar but... why is it a spoiler?
Quietpower

Post by Quietpower »

I personally find that Shizune's good end felt the most "real" of the good ends. Like if someone said one ending was canon and told me to guess which one it was, I'd say it was Shizune's. It felt the most likely to happen, like most realistic.

Not sure how to really explain it.
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

The one where they split up in anger or the one where they both end up heartbroken?

For the record, I consider the five good endings to be True endings, but there wasn't any option for that.
Thanks man. I don't even have to do Rin's route now that you spoiled it.

Goddammit people learn to use the spoiler tag, please.