Character Voices

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ry74

Re: Character Voices

Post by Ry74 »

Lordy, my list is going to look like an LOGH cast reunion.
zettovyker

Post by zettovyker »

If I may be so bold as to bang my head against the table I'm sitting at right now, I wish I had found this forum instead of making a complete fool of myself for my first post.

That said, this is awesome and answers a lot of questions I've been having. Like why people dislike a Southern Bell accented Lilly, or why I feel like Rin's voice should actually be monotonous most of the time. Sadly, I don't know too many voice actors by name, but I have some descriptions of their voices in my head.

Hisao- is definitely strong and re-memorable, something like Tenchi, where it can be humorous but still adapt to each other characters vocal traits and word choices.

Hanako- has a soft and whispered voice, something that you listen for among everyday noises, like a particular chord in a piano song.

Lilly - sounds very proper and southern to me. I don't get why, since they say she has no accent when speaking, but the way she chooses to speak somehow makes me lean toward a western style of speech.

Emi- strangely has that higher pitched cheer leader aspect, but goes on to have a taunting and sarcastic tone a lot. Followed by a light hearted giggle every time.

Rin- again gives me an impression of someone who speaks monotonously. Of course, she can smile and frown, but you can hear those through a voice. Even while emotional, I feel like thats the only time she would change her tone.

Misha- would be Emi's older sister in terms how she sounds, but with not too many emotional differences from happy, or jokingly serious. Possibly even robotic when having to quote something from Shizune.

Shizune- for that matter, though she can't speak, her voice strikes out to me as tactful and strong. Especially when she has that competitive mode on, she analyzes her words before saying them, and her voice has such decisiveness with it.

Yuuko- actually, from the original post, I like that Serena from Sailor Moon. Ditzy but prominently just trying to be helpful all the time. A normal girl going about her day but just happens to have a lot of stress, yet she tries her best to hide it.

Mutou - reminds me of Mr. Miyagi. A wisened older raspy voice, even though he is a younger teacher. I feel like all my science teachers sound the same, looking back at it: older people, who have a sense a humor that leads them to be off topic a lot.

Nurse- would probably be soft like your best friend would talk to you, while punching you in the arm kind of tone. But then he'd switch over to that tatoo'd boyfriend of the girl you just held the door for.

Kenji- wants to have a nasally voice, Steve Ercle-ish even for the comic relief factor, but doesn't need it too badly. I think anyone saying those lines sound ridiculous to me anyways.

This proves I've been slacking on paying attention to the credits of anime's or movies. Note to self...
That awesome moment when you stay true to yourself and people are okay with you.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

zettovyker wrote:If I may be so bold as to bang my head against the table I'm sitting at right now, I wish I had found this forum instead of making a complete fool of myself for my first post.

That said, this is awesome and answers a lot of questions I've been having. Like why people dislike a Southern Bell accented Lilly, or why I feel like Rin's voice should actually be monotonous most of the time. Sadly, I don't know too many voice actors by name, but I have some descriptions of their voices in my head.

Hisao- is definitely strong and re-memorable, something like Tenchi, where it can be humorous but still adapt to each other characters vocal traits and word choices.

Hanako- has a soft and whispered voice, something that you listen for among everyday noises, like a particular chord in a piano song.

Lilly - sounds very proper and southern to me. I don't get why, since they say she has no accent when speaking, but the way she chooses to speak somehow makes me lean toward a western style of speech.

Emi- strangely has that higher pitched cheer leader aspect, but goes on to have a taunting and sarcastic tone a lot. Followed by a light hearted giggle every time.

Rin- again gives me an impression of someone who speaks monotonously. Of course, she can smile and frown, but you can hear those through a voice. Even while emotional, I feel like thats the only time she would change her tone.

Misha- would be Emi's older sister in terms how she sounds, but with not too many emotional differences from happy, or jokingly serious. Possibly even robotic when having to quote something from Shizune.

Shizune- for that matter, though she can't speak, her voice strikes out to me as tactful and strong. Especially when she has that competitive mode on, she analyzes her words before saying them, and her voice has such decisiveness with it.

Yuuko- actually, from the original post, I like that Serena from Sailor Moon. Ditzy but prominently just trying to be helpful all the time. A normal girl going about her day but just happens to have a lot of stress, yet she tries her best to hide it.

Mutou - reminds me of Mr. Miyagi. A wisened older raspy voice, even though he is a younger teacher. I feel like all my science teachers sound the same, looking back at it: older people, who have a sense a humor that leads them to be off topic a lot.

Nurse- would probably be soft like your best friend would talk to you, while punching you in the arm kind of tone. But then he'd switch over to that tatoo'd boyfriend of the girl you just held the door for.

Kenji- wants to have a nasally voice, Steve Ercle-ish even for the comic relief factor, but doesn't need it too badly. I think anyone saying those lines sound ridiculous to me anyways.

This proves I've been slacking on paying attention to the credits of anime's or movies. Note to self...
Check your other thread, devs say your project violates license agreement.
zettovyker

Post by zettovyker »

Otakumon wrote: Check your other thread, devs say your project violates license agreement.

Yup. And trust me, I feel like a complete idiot for missing that on the very front page. I did read, but just not carefully enough apparently. All I can really do is just bite this bullet and hope nobody keeps this as a grudge for too long. It was an honest mistake on my part and I already emailed them that I'm sorry. Really wish I could just take it down at this point, feels like a needlessly painful reminder of my mishap.

That aside, what were your thoughts on voice choices?
That awesome moment when you stay true to yourself and people are okay with you.
DrSkulk

Character voice in your head

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelownz

Re: Character voice in your head

Post by Axelownz »

I dont know who does the voice but in my head Hanako sounds like Tobiume's Zanpakto form in the Bleach Filler Arc. I imagine her sounding like that but just a shyer version of it.

Here is a video too of the character
DrSkulk

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newnar

Post by newnar »

How do you even describe a voice? Hanako sounds gentle, unsure, yet mighty confident at times. I imagine her as having a natural soft voice that comes out as a sigh, but she has a strong and confident tone behind it. Especially when talking abt chess or pool.
LeeeHaay

Post by LeeeHaay »

Hanako's voice to me sounds like a mild Hinata Hyuga.
Blackknight1239

Post by Blackknight1239 »

I always imagined Hanako's voice sounding similar to Megumi Hayashibara's Rei Ayanami, purely because it's the only time the "whispery quiet" voice hasn't sounded terrible put on.
erisi236

Post by erisi236 »

Lilly

~ufufu
"Iluvevery, single… one of ye… not you." - Lilly during another one of her drunken rampages.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

erisi236 wrote:Lilly

~ufufu
That's pretty much exactly how I hear her, too, haha.

Hanako is really any old shy anime girl. Rin is like... I imagine her voice being kind of raspy or breathy, and a little low for an anime girl (probably about normal for an adult Japanese female). Emi has a voice much younger/cuter than is fitting for being 19. Shizune sounds like everyone and no one. :o
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
ivegottogodosomthing

Post by ivegottogodosomthing »

Misha - Stereotypical rich american girl accent

Lilly - Soft spoken english accent

Hanako - Speaks in a very nervous tone, as if she's about to cry. Very soft and quiet as well. American.

Rin - Deadpan, spacey, American.

Emi - Minnie mouse but cuter and louder.

Shizune - Nothing.
krabstarr

Post by krabstarr »

When I read the text for some of the characters, my mind has seemingly decided that they sound like specific characters from TV or anime. I didn't actively assign voice actors to the characters. It's almost like my mind took existing voice samples from these characters I already knew and reused them.

Specifically, Hiaso's narration sounds (to me) like Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as voiced by Crispin Freeman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3mWw0d6Tws
while his spoken voice is more like Tomoya from CLANNAD, played by David Matranga.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ivKTPFTBu4#t=0m47s
Also, Misha sounds like Konona from Negima! as voiced by Monica Rial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnLx_OJ7An0#t=4m46s
And when I hear Hanako, I hear Nodoka, again from Negima!, as voiced by Leah Clark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8XR2HazeKY#t=16m53s

Less exactly, I was imagining Hideaki as having a lower pitched nasally voice for some reason, but still with a flat and even tone. It's actually a voice I know from something, but I can't remember where it's from.
I always imagined that Kenji spoke very fast, almost jamming his words together, but had slightly longer pauses at the end of sentences. So the speech is quick, but somewhat disjointed.
Emi sounds like a higher pitched Luci Christian character. Think a higher pitched Ran Kotobuki from Super GALS!
And now that I think about it, I think my Mutou voice is very much like Prof. Takahata from Negima!, but a little lower pitched. I don't think I'm going to even attempt to describe the rest.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

You know i was thinking instead of voices ... why not a modren day "Peter and the Wolf " ... each of the main ppl have a insterment of there own instead of a voice ... that would be sweet IMO