Character Voices

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Escapist

Character Voices

Post by Escapist »

Whenever I read something, I always put voices to the characters. I know I'm not the only one who does this, so share the voices that you associated with each character! I'll post mine below. My references are to particular anime characters as opposed to their voice actors, since VAs sometimes change up their voices depending on the role. Obviously these are the English voices.

Hisao - Kyon (Haruhi Suzumiya)
Hanako - Mio Akiyama (K-On!), though more soft spoken
Lilly - Chitose Hibiya (Chobits)
Emi - Kirino Chiba (Bamboo Blade)
Rin - Rei Ayanami (Evangelion), but with a huskier voice
Misha - Tenma Tsukamoto (School Rumble) Not the character I originally had in mind, but the voice is about similar. Can't remember the original character I based it off of ><
Yuuko - Usagi, "Serena" (Sailor Moon)
Mutou - Childman Powderfield (Orphen)
Miki - Iwasawa (Angel Beats!)
Nurse - ?
Kenji - ?

Question marks are to indicate that I didn't have a particular character in mind when picking out a voice. They were voices I had heard before, but that I couldn't place to a specific character. This Misha thing is really going to bother me until I remember....
Tomate

Re: Character Voices

Post by Tomate »

The only TRUE voice for Shizune is Morgan Freeman as a narrator.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Hanako - Noto Mamiko (sample 1, sample 2)

That's the only one that I really, solidly hear in my head while playing the game. The other characters, I occasionally see glimmers of the following but they don't stick for too long:

Hisao - Nakamura Yuuichi
Lilly - Inoue Kikuko (sample, except much more sedate and slower-paced than this), which you've already mentioned
Kenji - Sakaguchi Daisuke (sample 1 (guy in white), sample 2)
Misha - Horie Yui (sample, replete with loud voice, "WAHAHAHA!", and everything).

Like I said, though, these ones I only see glimmers of the mentioned voice actors ... and then it disappears. The only one I really solidly, consistently hear in my voice's head is Hanako as voiced by Noto Mamiko.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Haha you made me remember OMG xD
Thanks.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Shizune - Crono (Chrono Trigger)
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

I think that a Voice Actor for Shizune, my work was a way of "voicing" that she writes or signs without Misha to interprate them, though I am having hard time thinking who might be a good fit.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
urishima

Post by urishima »

Tomate wrote:The only TRUE voice for Shizune is Morgan Freeman as a narrator.
It's spreading... not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

Benkei wrote:Hanako - Noto Mamiko (sample 1, sample 2)

That's the only one that I really, solidly hear in my head while playing the game. The other characters, I occasionally see glimmers of the following but they don't stick for too long:

Hisao - Nakamura Yuuichi
Lilly - Inoue Kikuko (sample, except much more sedate and slower-paced than this), which you've already mentioned
Kenji - Sakaguchi Daisuke (sample 1 (guy in white), sample 2)
Misha - Horie Yui (sample, replete with loud voice, "WAHAHAHA!", and everything).

Like I said, though, these ones I only see glimmers of the mentioned voice actors ... and then it disappears. The only one I really solidly, consistently hear in my voice's head is Hanako as voiced by Noto Mamiko.
That's the most accurate one yet. I'm not too fond of Inoue for Lilly, though. It has to be sweeter. Well, not Mai Nakahara-sweet.

I think Inoue should portray Yuuko. Yui Horie fits perfecty for Misha. Yuuichi for Hisao is unquestionable.
I know she's fucking mute, but Kana Hanezawa would be perfect for a non-mute Shizune.
Akira was made for Takako Honda, Emi was made for Rie Kugimiya.

I'll give some thought to Rin's and Lilly's VAs.
Ditsch

Post by Ditsch »

Now i got it why hanako voice inside my head did piss me off all the time and i didn't like her haha of course it was sawako's voice i did hear, haha. :)
Yeah the voices i hear are japanese sounding haha and all japanese voice actors, of course it's in a japanese school all happens and i was already 6 times in japan.

I think most of those selected are what i was thinking of/hearing. (correct list by fcd15)

But i can't make out Rin or pin point her, as for Lilly it was not belldandy for me , and emi was taiga that was sure haha (aka queen tsun rie kugimiya)

As for lilly i was always hearing saber from fate stay night.
iamjagman

Post by iamjagman »

I always think of Rin as having sort of... a monotone voice I guess. Sorta "curves up" when she's happy though, as in the end of the sentence sorta lifts and sounds a bit happier. I'm bad at explanations though, so that probably didn't make a ton of sense.
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

fcd15 wrote:
Benkei wrote:(my previous post)
That's the most accurate one yet. I'm not too fond of Inoue for Lilly, though. It has to be sweeter. Well, not Mai Nakahara-sweet.
I don't think she's the best fit either, but every once in a while -- usually when Lilly does the closed eyes "ara ara + u fu fu" hand-to-the-mouth laugh -- I definitely do see what the OP seemed to see in Hibiya Chitose (Chobits), another character voiced by Inoue Kikuko.

To be honest, most of the characters are either voiceless in my mind or else are hybrids of existing voiced characters. Many of the voices I lend to the characters are voices I can't even peg to a particular person, be they a celebrity or not. I'm sure that's true for a lot of us. I'm sure many people have met a Shizune or a Misha or a Lilly or a Hanako in real life and, whether consciously or subconsciously, are lending that character the voice of the person they knew IRL. And that's by no means a "bad" or a "wrong" thing to do: it's downright perfect, in fact. The only problem with it is, you can't then relate your interpretation of the character's voice to fellow fans on the Internet.
fcd15 wrote:I know she's fucking mute, but Kana Hanezawa would be perfect for a non-mute Shizune.
Hanazawa Kana (Zange from Kannagi, generic sample), huh? ... Can't say I see it for Shizune, but then again, she's one of the ones I have the amalgamation thing going on for.
fcd15 wrote:Akira was made for Takako Honda
Was only thinking about main main characters. Completely forgot that another voice I have pretty solidly in my head -- probably right up there with Hanako -- is Akira's voice. I picture her sounding like Kikuchi Makoto in the 2011 The iDOLM@STER anime. While she doesn't talk much in this scene, the mental image here, along with the tomboy look of Makoto's in general, is probably why my subconscious turns here for Akira. I could easily see fans disagreeing with me on this one, but for me, I think the subconscious association is just too strong.
fcd15 wrote:Emi was made for Rie Kugimiya.
I'll agree that she's this game's token loli for sure, but in before (1) Kugimiya Rie unfairly typecast as the Loli Queen when she is perfectly capable of providing other voices and (2) I'm just not seeing Shana / Louise / Taiga / Iori / Kagura / [any other "the standard Kugimiya Rie voice" characters you can think of] for Emi. Rie's most famous character voice is inextricably linked in the minds of most fans with not just any loli but with the tsundere bitchy loli. Emi's by no means a bitch. Do you ever hear her in Rie's typecast voice when she's having lunch on the roof with Hisao and Rin, for instance? I don't. I could see the Rie voice for the "I'm sowwie :(" puppydog-eyes scenes of Emi's but not for much else. I just don't see Emi as the "NANI WO!? :evil:" type. People might say that Emi's not allowing people to get really close to her is as close to a tsundere as this game's gonna get, and while that might be true, it still doesn't make Emi a tsundere either, so ... I'm just not seeing Kugimiya Rie. ^_^;
scorptatious

Post by scorptatious »

For some of the characters, I kind of had an easy time figuring out what kind of voices would suit them.

Misha: Pinkie Pie (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Muouto and Nurse: Maes Hughes (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Yuuko: Sheska (Fullmetall Alchemist)

For other characters, Like Rin, it's kinda hard to think of a voice that suits them. After a while I imagine that Rin would sound like Raven from Teen Titans.

For everyone else I haven't completely based their voices on certain characters. I mostly thought of them myself. It wasn't easy to think of voices that didn't sound too annoying or too ridiculous. For example, sometimes I end up imagining Lilly with an English accent. Despite the fact that the story states that she has no distinct accent.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I think this is the third thread we have on that topic :?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ZoboCamel

Post by ZoboCamel »

Personally, this is what seems natural to me:

Hisao - Yuuichi Nakamura (using his Tomoya voice from Clannad) or Ryohei Kimura (Kodaka from Haganai)
Hanako - Kana Hanazawa (along the lines of her voice for Kanade from Angel Beats) or Mamiko Noto (Haruka from Nogizaka Haruka)... I keep changing my mind on this one :P
Rin - Maaya Sakamoto (with her deadpan Haruhi voice from Ouran, perhaps a little lower)
Emi - Mai Gotou (Mika from Nogizaka Haruka)
Lilly - Mamiko Noto again, or Ayako Kawasumi, or Natsuko Kuwatani
Misha - Yui Horie (Minori from Toradora) or Yuki Matsuoka (Tsuruya from Haruhi)
Kenji - Nobuyuki Hiyama (Madarame from Genshiken)
Yuuko - Rie Tanaka (the teacher from Toradora) or Kikuko Inoue (Sanae from Clannad)
Nurse - Daisuke Ono
Akira - Konomi Maeda (Nanako from Lucky Star)

The ones I picture most strongly would probably be Hisao, Hanako, Rin, Yuuko and Kenji (particularly Kenji). I'm not really sure on Lilly or Misha, I have the right voice in my head for each and the listed ones are similar but not the same. I can't link any voice actor to Shizune, although again I picture a voice (I'm guessing she would be voiced, like Celty's cellphone-writing was in Durarara).