Which Disability is worse?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gunlocksp

Re: Which Disability is worse?

Post by gunlocksp »

To sum it up...
Hisao = Risk of dying young, unable to do strenuous work or exercise or not being able handle powerful emotions
Lilly = Unable to "see" anything without form
Hanako = Seeing a psych every now and then, (broken heart takes longer to heal), having to bear with the stares people give you (scars on your face)
Rin = Severely restricted in terms of performing certain tasks
Emi = Restricted in certain ways, having to live with the notion that both your legs are missing and you will always need "help" to move around
Shizune = Not being able to hear anything, crippled by the notion you cannot "translate" sound...

I would choose.... Lilly's disability... which is a downer for me since I love to draw and not being able to see what I am drawing is really disheartening ... :(
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

TheKingOfFacade wrote:If I remember there was something particularly bleak with the condition "Saki" (Might be wrong, not to sure about the name) suffers with.
I think you hit the spot here.
Not trying to diminish a hard condition of some disabled people, I think all the girls pretty much got away with it. They're relatively highly functional, even in case of Hanako, and you shouldn't underestimate Rin's capability to tend for herself. Sure it closes many doors but considering the many ways people can "malfunction", they could be viewed as the lucky ones. Even arrythmia can has its different degrees, and Hisao isn't neccessarily going to die the next day. Their overall state is stable, and they have a chance to adjust, and go on living.

What I guess realy scares me, are all those ailments slowly increasing it's grasp over the person's body, or mind. With every day making your life harder to live.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DH531

Post by DH531 »

It's quite hard to choose to be honest, for me it's between having no arms and being blind. I just can't imagine not being to play piano, or most of the other stuff that requires arms and hands, however being blind could be really sad too, I attempted to play my piano with a blindfold; did ok for a bit then just lost it :( I have bad eye-sight already so I kinda treasure whatever amazing sights I can see while I still can. Though to be born without sight is quite different since you would never have experienced seeing things in the first place.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

DH531 wrote:It's quite hard to choose to be honest, for me it's between having no arms and being blind. I just can't imagine not being to play piano, or most of the other stuff that requires arms and hands, however being blind could be really sad too, I attempted to play my piano with a blindfold; did ok for a bit then just lost it :( I have bad eye-sight already so I kinda treasure whatever amazing sights I can see while I still can. Though to be born without sight is quite different since you would never have experienced seeing things in the first place.
If it was a condition that occurred since birth, you'd be used to it. I bet people with no arms can learn to play the piano just fine. And blindness is even less of a restriction since it just requires a little practice to play without looking. Though reading the music in the first place is more awkward.

Apart from arythmia, I'd say deafness is the worst, due to social isolation. And Shizune appears to not even hang out with other deaf people, making it worse.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

I always thought Kenji's paranoia was the worst. I mean, if you have another disability you can cope somehow in some way, but Kenji has almost no friends and is socially locked up and he won't enjoy life with his fear of feminists. Not to mention he trusts no one. So he would be pretty insecure as well. Not to mention as well that he is partially blind, adding injury to insult.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
gnotellin

Post by gnotellin »

Shizune's deafness.

Deafness is a disability that separatest you from other people. Imagine sitting in a bar with friends bullshitting and having a good time. Of all the disabilities presented in this game deafness is the only one that makes that scenario really hard. Day to day it may not be that debilitating but it makes it so hard to connect with and relate to other people. It leaves you lonely.
crystal

Post by crystal »

I would say Lilly's. Sight is such an important sense.
Lilly path > Hanako path >>>> Shizune path > Emi path > Rin path.

My most heart wrenching moment...Misha getting a haircut.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

I think it depends on the person asked.
For me it would be the loss of arms or legs or the scars - why? Because such things sadly creeps me out in real life :(
Sorry Em' Rin and Hanako, if you were real I wouldn't want to meet you.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

charmisokay wrote:I think it depends on the person asked.
For me it would be the loss of arms or legs or the scars - why? Because such things sadly creeps me out in real life :(
Sorry Em' Rin and Hanako, if you were real I wouldn't want to meet you.
I think I agree (except for the scars part).

The worst disability for me woukld be either Hisao's heart condition, or Rin's lack of arms.
The other one probably comes from my own discomfort whenever being unable to use a body part for any reason (including being crushed under something, tied up or just having a bandage over it), so I'd probably freak out with no arms. Emi is slightly better off as she has her prostetics.

I wouldn't say it is Lilly due to my belief that blindness has the one positive side of making people less judgemental of things and people just based on their looks. Of course, it is an incredibly scary disability but for this and other reasons I don't think she's the one worst off.

With Shizune, the exact hardship of her disability and how much it affects a person depends on lifestyle, I guess.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Rolanberry

Post by Rolanberry »

That is a hard choice...I'd say blindness. My vision is already rather bad but even still I can't think of not having any sight at all. No Arms is also a pretty hard one. I've seen some things on how people cope but its still just seems so hard from my perspective...though of course with Rin she's lived with no arms her whole life so its a little different.

While I love hearing I've known people who had long term online friends that where deaf. Even when hanging out in real life they used texting through phones to communicate. Yea that looks a little odd but it works for communicating.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

CNB wrote:Having no hands or arms seems by far the most crippling; barring serious advances in prosthetics, Rin's going to need a live-in caretaker for her entire life. Total blindness would be the runner-up.

Hisao's heart condition would be the worst in terms of being most likely to actually kill you at a young age.
My thoughts almost exactly, however I can't really picture myself in one of those conditions (I'm more like Kenji, what with the poor eyesight and paranoiac/anxious behaviour) so don't really know how I would react to these in real life... but maybe the inability to interact with the world for a lack of hands is the one that scares me the most.
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/