A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

newnar

Re: Other Media that gave you "The Feels."

Post by newnar »

Thought Clannad was a VN.
Jacius Ceed

Post by Jacius Ceed »

quellsnarg wrote: I read the book before I watched the movie... gosh... I must have read the book 12 years ago, for the first time. I read it towards the end of my elementary school days. I did watch the movie... I think it came out when I was in high school? Not sure.

I liked the book better, but I read the book about ten times and I only saw the movie once. I think people don't give kids enough credit for having mature thoughts and ideas, including some things in the movie. Maybe it's because I read The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot when I was eight and enjoying similar ideas at the time (even if I couldn't fully appreciate them due to inexperience), but I remember having some extremely philosophical thoughts back then and even before that, pondering what exactly experience and time meant and how death and existence related to that. Sure kids have inexperience but that isn't always a bad thing; they can look at the world through an innocent viewpoint instead of seeing everything in a jaded way, which colors opinion. Again, it's possible that I only thought these things due to my upbringing and I don't claim to speak for everybody, but I have talked to a few other friends about what we thought about as children and I know I wasn't the only one.
I get what you mean.
Most works portrays children as well, unthinking young screaming things. There are a lot who are like that to be sure, but not all are.

I too was among the wandering mind club. Thinking about the ways of the world and the universe. Having questions that could not be answered at the time or even now.
I was was always trying to improve myself, learn, and just be better in general. Not in a competitive way though, I judge myself from the where I was before and where I am now.
The need to be better than others to make myself feel good or others seem beneath me has never been really there. The only exception is being better than bullies and assholes in general.
Even then I didn't really think myself as being more mature at the time, well except for being more mature than a few kids I knew.
I thought that the other kids were the same, I never really asked them anything that would indicate otherwise to me. That changed after a clan leader in an online game let me in to his clan that barred people under 18 from joining.
The comments of your so calm and seem really mature kept coming later from friends and friends of friends, heck even some random people that I don't even remember meeting.
There have been a couple of others who I have met that were really thoughtful, kind and were doing the same thing, doing whatever they could to improve themselves.
The one who really sticks out in my mind is a girl who was 8 years old or so at the time who was studying most of the time and hanging out with her best friend who was 14 at the time.
That friend would hang out with my odd assorted group of 12-16 year olds, her friend would join us at times and I found that I could have more intellectual conversations with her than many others I knew. She was kind of shy so they were short talks but hey interesting is interesting.

quellsnarg wrote: But I digress; I think the great thing about the book is that the kid had an adult view about his friend's death, and although he was a bit jaded in the beginning of the story, he changed towards the end and saw that he shouldn't let her death make him miserable the rest of his life, because that wouldn't be what she wanted. I forget in the movie, but in the book I remember him saying how selfish he thought the adults were being in making her death about their grief and not actually her death, like they cared more about being sad than in celebrating her life and missing her. I mean, seriously, wow, what a great insight into how people mourn and how people usually try to make things about them in one way or another... and even after thinking that thought, he is able to live a healthy life, or so it's implied.

I don't know if that made any sense, it's been probably six or seven years since I've read or watched it, haha.
Yeah it is somewhat similar in the movie, the main thing was him moving on and keeping her memory alive.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

newnar wrote:Thought Clannad was a VN.
Nope! It's an anime!
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

A Humbled Fan wrote:
Nope! It's an anime!
It was a VN first.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

themocaw wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:
Nope! It's an anime!
It was a VN first.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that! Most people that I've talked to have just mentioned the anime series.
vaektor

Post by vaektor »

Film:
Man on Fire
Love and Other Drugs
What Dreams May Come
Romeo+Juliet

TV:
InuYasha
Please! Teacher
Chobits
Strange Luck

Games:
Fallout 3
Half-Life 2

Music:
Smashing Pumping - To Forgive
Coldplay - Swallowed by the Sea
- Sparks
Weezer - Perfect Situation
- Haunt You Everyday
System of A Down - Chop Suey
- Lonely Day
Meh...
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

A Humbled Fan wrote:
yipyapper wrote:Pink Floyd songs always give me the feels. Especially Dogs, which Katawa got me addicted to when I listened to it while playing.
Waters' era Floyd, yes. Post-Water's: Fugetaboutit!

And believe it or not, The Final Cut is my favorite album. That album gives serious feels.
Really? The final cut gave me.the anti-feels. I loved Aton Heart Mother but Animals gave me feels all over.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

yipyapper wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:
yipyapper wrote:Pink Floyd songs always give me the feels. Especially Dogs, which Katawa got me addicted to when I listened to it while playing.
Waters' era Floyd, yes. Post-Water's: Fugetaboutit!

And believe it or not, The Final Cut is my favorite album. That album gives serious feels.
Really? The final cut gave me.the anti-feels. I loved Aton Heart Mother but Animals gave me feels all over.
That's interesting, because I didn't care for Animals! I think the reason why the Final Cut gave me the feels so much was the fact that he was singing about how he felt that war betrayed his father, and his other serviceman. He put a lot of emotion in it, and I believe he really felt what he was singing about.
The Final Cut is an anti-war concept album, whose lyrics explore what Waters regards as the betrayal of fallen British servicemen—such as his father—who during World War II sacrificed their lives in the spirit of a post-war dream. This post-war dream was that their victory would usher in a more peaceful world, whose leaders would no longer be so eager to solve disputes by resorting to war. The album's lyrics are critical of Thatcher, whose policies and decisions Waters regarded as an example of this betrayal. She is referred to as "Maggie" throughout the album.
That kind of thing tends to appeal to me, especially when it's about family members.

Funny how people are move by different things, isn't it? :D
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

A Humbled Fan wrote:
yipyapper wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote: Waters' era Floyd, yes. Post-Water's: Fugetaboutit!

That's interesting, because I didn't care for Animals! I think the reason why the Final Cut gave me the feels so much was the fact that he was singing about how he felt that war betrayed his father, and his other serviceman. He put a lot of emotion in it, and I believe he really felt what he was singing about.
The Final Cut is an anti-war concept album, whose lyrics explore what Waters regards as the betrayal of fallen British servicemen—such as his father—who during World War II sacrificed their lives in the spirit of a post-war dream. This post-war dream was that their victory would usher in a more peaceful world, whose leaders would no longer be so eager to solve disputes by resorting to war. The album's lyrics are critical of Thatcher, whose policies and decisions Waters regarded as an example of this betrayal. She is referred to as "Maggie" throughout the album.
Usually I would agree, and the lyrics itself are moving, but the sound of the album jist didn't click with me. Not saying it's bad, I love all PF albums, its just that the tone of music usually sets those emotions off. Lyrics are more primary for enjoyment, but second in emotions. I would change that if I could :/

That kind of thing tends to appeal to me, especially when it's about family members.

Funny how people are move by different things, isn't it? :D
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
~Yipyapper
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Oops, think you embedded your text in my quote bubble. But I know what you mean. And that's the beauty of it! Different people are moved by different things, and we are all able to share in those experiences :D
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

Well that is an embarassing quote structure.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
~Yipyapper
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away
And leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance
As you whisper down the phone?
Would you send me packing?
Or would you take me home?

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings,
Thought I oughta tear the curtain down.
I held the blade in trembling hands
Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.
Man... whenever I hear those lyrics, I get chills.
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

Ooh, Pink Floyd, good one. I kinda think of "Comfortably Numb" as a fitting theme song for Rin.

( yeah yeah, from the only album anyone ever knows, yadda yadda, I have the others, too. Even Ummagumma - and I regret that one -.- )
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

zanzarra wrote:Even Ummagumma - and I regret that one -.- )
:lol:

I know how you feel :D
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

A Humbled Fan wrote:
zanzarra wrote:Even Ummagumma - and I regret that one -.- )
:lol:

I know how you feel :D
I was young and impressed by Pink Floyd, saw that album I've never heard about...

*fast forward*

"...what."
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.