Other Media that gave you "The Feels."

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Surreal-mind

Re: Other Media that gave you "The Feels."

Post by Surreal-mind »

There's a french comic called "KOMA".
It's about a girl who works together with her father as a chimney sweep. The problem is that she is seriously ill and she passes out all the time. The story gets really weird later on and has a very "WTF ending", wich is also sad in it's own way.

I am sure it's enough to give lots of people the feels.
Check it out if you get the chance.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

There is that TV series called Life On Mars USA. I wonder if anyone here knows that. Even though I was born in a different timeline, I am a big sucker for oldies, and it has so much sentimental value for me. It has so much sentimental values for me that I cannot describe how awesome it is. One has to watch it himself to understand that.
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

I'm not entirely sure what qualifies as "the feels". A quality that many good visual novels have is the ability to make the user experience a variety of emotions, that the main character would be feeling in the game, temporarily and occasionally longer.

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
Politus

Post by Politus »

Scrubs: My Lunch

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: More than I can count

The 1954 Soviet film Boris Godunov, based on the opera of the same name: The scene towards the end where Boris Godunov dies in the arms of his son.

So many feels.
"Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho." - anonymous French graffiti, May 1968.
EmiBro

Post by EmiBro »

The very first film I can remember that gave me the feels was WALL-E. It was the very first time I actually enjoyed a love story. I became invested in it as much as KS in that I would try to find good fanfiction so I could continuously get the feels (in vain, since none of the fanfiction writers for WALL-E were as good as the fanfiction for KS). That film was what got me interested in animation and led to me starting to watch anime (and probably, playing KS). To this day, it's still my favorite Pixar film.

Speaking of anime, anything by Makoto Shinkai has always given me the feels. I imagine a lot of people have already mentioned 5cm Per Second. Although I personally got more emotional after watching "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "Voices of a Distant Star".

I also cried during "End of Evangelion".

Moving away from anime, there's this one film I watched recently which was the first piece of media since playing KS that made me cry. It's a Taiwanese film called "You are the Apple of my Eye" (Chinese name: 那些年,我們一起追的女孩, Lit: In those years, the girls we all went after). It's a great love story with lots of humor throughout the film (although it's not a romantic comedy). It was insanely popular in Asia and won numerous awards. Highly recommend it.
Last edited by EmiBro on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Huh. That's a tough one. Hanako was a character i identified with, liked personality wise, and found to have a nearly flawless ass, so the competition is stiff.
...maybe not the best choice of words after the comment on her proportions.

Oh well. Something else that gave me "The Feels" was Silent Hill 2, though in a very different way. I played it when i was young and kind of got invested in the story of James Sunderland, and then when the plot twist about the fate of James's wife hits i was horribly torn by the knowledge a guy i came to like had done such an awful thing. I think Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation says it best:
"It's a fascinating voyage of pain and despair that leaves you emotionally drained and satisfied, like fucking a burning dolphin."

Next is a movie called Amores Perros, typically the English translation for it is "Love's a Bitch." It's a movie about horrible people and they're dogs, and i got weirdly invested in the last arc about a homeless criminal who lives with a pack of stray dogs. I think that was the closest i came to crying during a movie in my adulthood, and it remains one of my favorite movies.

After that would be Puella Magi Madoka Magica, an anime that came out last year. I got really attached to a tragic heroine character, and there was also a psychopath for me to enjoy, so it's probably my favorite anime. Well that and i love a somewhat cruel prank they use in that they continuously advertise it as a typical magical girl item even after characters began losing their minds.

And lastly, Clannad. I got really emotionally invested in it and felt intense seething bloodlust when not only did that moron Tomoya, a guy i kind of liked, settled with a girl who was like Kafuka Furra only less homicidal so in other words she had absolutely no appeal to speak of, he kept pulling stupid move after stupid move. CHECK THE WEATHER! USE CPR! STAY DEAD YOU MORON! I kind of liked the first few episodes of Clannad but after Fuku the quality was in free-fall and then with the manga spin-off of Tomoyo After it hit rock bottom so hard i found it almost as offensively stupid as Twilight, and THAT is saying something. Let me be perfectly clear Key: give up. You can't do convincing drama, Clannad would have worked as a black comedy or MAYBE if he went with Kotomi but banging on with that true love malarchy left me in a scenario when i didn't feel anything when you pulled off the predictable shock death. And when you pulled off an unpredicted shock death you just came off as desperate.

And i'll think i'll end that here rather than risk drawing more fire from people who liked Twilight or Clannad. I think i can take them, but disposing of that many bodies is kind of annoying.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
yummines

Post by yummines »

EmiBro wrote:The very first film I can remember that gave me the feels was WALL-E. It was the very first time I actually enjoyed a loves story. I became invested in it as much as KS in that I would try to find good fanfiction so I could continuously get the feels (in vain, since none of the fanfiction writers for WALL-E were as good as the fanfiction for KS). That film was what got me interested in animation and led to me starting to watch anime (and probably, playing KS). To this day, it's still my favorite Pixar film.
YES. i love Wall-E. its one of the few movies i've actually bought on dvd.
speaking of Pixar, remember the opening sequence of Up?
that image of Carl sitting alone at funeral with a balloon in his hand...
EmiBro

Post by EmiBro »

yummines wrote:
EmiBro wrote:The very first film I can remember that gave me the feels was WALL-E. It was the very first time I actually enjoyed a loves story. I became invested in it as much as KS in that I would try to find good fanfiction so I could continuously get the feels (in vain, since none of the fanfiction writers for WALL-E were as good as the fanfiction for KS). That film was what got me interested in animation and led to me starting to watch anime (and probably, playing KS). To this day, it's still my favorite Pixar film.
YES. i love Wall-E. its one of the few movies i've actually bought on dvd.
speaking of Pixar, remember the opening sequence of Up?
that image of Carl sitting alone at funeral with a balloon in his hand...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... tears3.jpg
Indeed, I do. That whole opening sequence nearly made me cry. I also remember thinking, "Imagine all those kids asking their parents, 'Mommy, why is she crying?'". Up was amazing, but it's still only my second favorite Pixar film. WALL-E will always hold the top spot.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about the feels I got during Toy Story 3. Especially the opening sequence when "You got a Friend in Me" cuts out at "Our Friendship will never die...". I also think I WOULD have cried during the furnace scene, if someone hadn't spoiled it to me beforehand that they survive.
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

EmiBro wrote: Also, I can't believe I forgot about the feels I got during Toy Story 3. Especially the opening sequence when "You got a Friend in Me" cuts out at "Our Friendship will never die...". I also think I WOULD have cried during the furnace scene, if someone hadn't spoiled it to me beforehand that they survive.
How about at the end where Andy was giving away Woody?

And what about Toy Story 2? You know what I mean.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
Micijayah

Post by Micijayah »

This may sound weird, but the only other media to give me "the feels" other than KS was the movie "Brother Bear".
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Isn't It a Pity by George Harrison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iJBTnylMCM
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

dwarduk wrote:No other media has given me 'the feels' as effectively as KS, but there are a few pieces of music that inspire such amazing feelings, Pathetique and Canon in D (linked earlier) among them.

Here are a few others:
  • Ben Konstantinovic - Requiem
  • Cat Stevens - Where do the Children Play, Father and Son, and others
  • Dream Theater - Wither, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... (my favourite band, so I could go on and on :P)
  • Extreme - More Than Words
  • Jeremy Soule - Mhenlo's Theme (GuildWars)
  • Joe Hisaishi - One Summer's Day, Ashitaka and San. I played the latter at my grandmother's funeral, so this one will always remain close to heart.
  • Les Miserables - pretty much the entire musical. Scratch my earlier statement, Les Mis gave me the feels, alright.
  • Metallica - The Unforgiven
  • Muse - Invincible. I have a love-hate relationship with this song :P. Also Falling Away With You and Unintended, both of which remind me strongly of my first girlfriend.
  • Niki and the Dove - DJ Ease My Mind
  • Queen - Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley
  • Queensryche - Unafraid, Home Again, Silent Lucidity, the whole of 'Operation: Mindcrime'
  • Rush - Tears, Closer to the Heart, The Trees
  • Simon and Garfunkel - He Was My Brother, Sparrow, The Boxer
  • The Who - The whole of 'Tommy'
  • Roger Waters - Perfect Sense
...Alright, that's a huge list there. Sorry I got bored linking so early xD
Glad to see another Rush and Dream Theater fan. I never got the feels from any Rush music. However, The Spirit Carries On by Dream Theater is definitely a feels heavy song. Along with Through Her Eyes.

EDIT:

Also Goodnight Kiss and The Ministry of Lost Souls by Dream Theater.

Believe and many others by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

ArazelEternal wrote:Believe and many others by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Look into Savatage. TSO was started from "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" on the Album Dead Winter Dead. Some of their earlier stuff is good, but a lot of it is extremely unpolished. Gutter Ballet is a big turning point - pretty huge change of tone and style from that point on.

A few Savatage veterans are part of TSO. TSO shows often encore with a Savatage classic or two. And then, there are a few, like "Believe" that got carried over wholecloth into TSO's repertoire. I prefer the Savatage version, though...

Other sources of feels:

Pixar's work, as previously mentioned. Up and Toy Story 3 deserve particular mention, but Finding Nemo, Wall-E, and The Incredibles also shine.
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
Fiddler on the Roof
August Rush - it had its problems, but when it's good, it's good.
Iron Giant, The Princess Bride, most of the stuff by Studio Ghibli...

One Piece. Especially Binkusu no Sake.
The Adventures of Pete and Pete - and, by extension, the music by Polaris

The Ace Attorney series. Particularly Phoenix Wright's arc.
Final Fantasy 3/6. One of the first games I fell in love with, and I still love it.
Wild Arms 2. The series as a whole is pretty hit or miss, but this one seemed relatively strong for some reason...

I could probably go on for a bit, but want to cut this off before it just becomes me listing stuff I like...
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

The Notebooks a nice one
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

This might sound weird, but : Metal gear solid 4.

i never played the game, I just watched the cutscenes in youtube.
I dunno what happened but it really made me feel miserable.

Snake , SNAAAAAAAAKE !!!!!