What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Quietpower
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Quietpower » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:38 am

Think of it as if Hisao never existed to the girls. Nothing would've changed. They'd all just continue and cope with whatever struggles they may or may not have had. Replay Lilly's or Emi's path if you need some proof.

If this game never existed we'd all never know about and probably wouldn't care due to our ignorance. Katawa Shoujo most likely added a little something to all of us, in some way. Think about it not existing now would be like ripping out a piece of us... but only if we see it in that way. If Katawa Shoujo never existed, it'd never add that piece to any of us, thus we wouldn't bat an eye to the lose.

nyttyn
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by nyttyn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Probably would've been down a few conclusions about myself. But for the most part, this is a silly question, I think. There are things that don't exist as of now -If that makes sense-, which will consequently never affect you. Doesn't mean you should mull over possibilities.
Why does the OST feature so much piano, despite the fact that not even a single piano exists in the entire game!?

User avatar
zomgbbq
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by zomgbbq » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Quietpower wrote:Think of it as if Hisao never existed to the girls. Nothing would've changed. They'd all just continue and cope with whatever struggles they may or may not have had. Replay Lilly's or Emi's path if you need some proof.

If this game never existed we'd all never know about and probably wouldn't care due to our ignorance. Katawa Shoujo most likely added a little something to all of us, in some way. Think about it not existing now would be like ripping out a piece of us... but only if we see it in that way. If Katawa Shoujo never existed, it'd never add that piece to any of us, thus we wouldn't bat an eye to the lose.
Not technically true, Shizune would likely have broken off her friendship with Misha, so the bad ending would have occurred.

Hanako's relationship with Hisao in both story arcs (lillys included) helps her frailties to no end and the benefits are clear to see. Hanako needs Hisao in her life it seems, whether as just a friend or a partner.

Rin learns how to accept who she is by being with Hisao, something that it is unlikely she would have found out how to do for a long time if ever without him..

Emi is the only one who could be happy without Hisao, IMO.

Lilly, I think, could be Hisao's true soul mate, and whilst she would be able to get on with her life she would never have met the most important person.
"You're out of touch, I'm out of time.. But I'm out of my head when you're not around"

"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"

iamjagman
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by iamjagman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I think Katawa Shoujo has affected my life quite a bit actually. I now have a more positive outlook and try harder to do things now that it has reminded me that people are out there being a better person than me when they are in a much worse position than me. I mean, hell, my only problem is a fairly serious case of ADD, which seemed like a lot before, but now I realize that it's honestly not that much. Sure, it affects my every day life, but not nearly to the extent of those who are blind, have arrhythmia, are deaf, missing limbs, etc. You get my point.

-jag

User avatar
Quietpower
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Quietpower » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 am

zomgbbq wrote:
Quietpower wrote:Think of it as if Hisao never existed to the girls. Nothing would've changed. They'd all just continue and cope with whatever struggles they may or may not have had. Replay Lilly's or Emi's path if you need some proof.

If this game never existed we'd all never know about and probably wouldn't care due to our ignorance. Katawa Shoujo most likely added a little something to all of us, in some way. Think about it not existing now would be like ripping out a piece of us... but only if we see it in that way. If Katawa Shoujo never existed, it'd never add that piece to any of us, thus we wouldn't bat an eye to the lose.
Not technically true, Shizune would likely have broken off her friendship with Misha, so the bad ending would have occurred.

Hanako's relationship with Hisao in both story arcs (lillys included) helps her frailties to no end and the benefits are clear to see. Hanako needs Hisao in her life it seems, whether as just a friend or a partner.

Rin learns how to accept who she is by being with Hisao, something that it is unlikely she would have found out how to do for a long time if ever without him..

Emi is the only one who could be happy without Hisao, IMO.

Lilly, I think, could be Hisao's true soul mate, and whilst she would be able to get on with her life she would never have met the most important person.
My point still stands. We all loved the game in some way, some more than others, but if it never existed then we wouldn't even bat an eye at the loss because there'd be nothing to lose... since it never existed.

User avatar
Robnonymous
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Robnonymous » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am

Quietpower wrote:My point still stands. We all loved the game in some way, some more than others, but if it never existed then we wouldn't even bat an eye at the loss because there'd be nothing to lose... since it never existed.
...

Rin..?
Bad Dreams (Hanako) - My first KS fanfic. it's actually a happy story
Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story) - My second KS fanfic. Not all that happy.

User avatar
zomgbbq
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by zomgbbq » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 am

Quietpower wrote:
zomgbbq wrote:
Quietpower wrote:Think of it as if Hisao never existed to the girls. Nothing would've changed. They'd all just continue and cope with whatever struggles they may or may not have had. Replay Lilly's or Emi's path if you need some proof.

If this game never existed we'd all never know about and probably wouldn't care due to our ignorance. Katawa Shoujo most likely added a little something to all of us, in some way. Think about it not existing now would be like ripping out a piece of us... but only if we see it in that way. If Katawa Shoujo never existed, it'd never add that piece to any of us, thus we wouldn't bat an eye to the lose.
Not technically true, Shizune would likely have broken off her friendship with Misha, so the bad ending would have occurred.

Hanako's relationship with Hisao in both story arcs (lillys included) helps her frailties to no end and the benefits are clear to see. Hanako needs Hisao in her life it seems, whether as just a friend or a partner.

Rin learns how to accept who she is by being with Hisao, something that it is unlikely she would have found out how to do for a long time if ever without him..

Emi is the only one who could be happy without Hisao, IMO.

Lilly, I think, could be Hisao's true soul mate, and whilst she would be able to get on with her life she would never have met the most important person.
My point still stands. We all loved the game in some way, some more than others, but if it never existed then we wouldn't even bat an eye at the loss because there'd be nothing to lose... since it never existed.
Very true. But it did exist and discussing what would happen if someone/thing didn't exist doesn't really make sense... It's never going to unexist. :p
"You're out of touch, I'm out of time.. But I'm out of my head when you're not around"

"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"

User avatar
Quietpower
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Quietpower » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:30 am

zomgbbq wrote:Very true. But it did exist and discussing what would happen if someone/thing didn't exist doesn't really make sense... It's never going to unexist. :p
That's why I like "What if..." questions. Discussing different strains of possibilities.

ardiel

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by ardiel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 am

It would have been added to my collection of vaporware.

User avatar
UncleJellyfish
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by UncleJellyfish » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Before I moved to another state two years ago, I used to write poetry. After I moved, I stopped entirely. After finishing Rin's arc, and sometime before finishing Lilly's arc, I've written two more poems that I'm quite proud of, and I've had the ideas for more. Not sure entirely, but I've a sneaky suspicion that Katawa Shoujo is to blame, so to that I offer a huge "Thank you." My wife has always loved my writings, and now I'm starting to write more. I might pick up writing my novels again, soon.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.

Guest

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Then a few things would be different for me.

1. I no longer play video games. Just lost interest, considering selling my xbox, give the money to charity. (I have nothing to spend money on atm)
2. It introduced me to VNs, I am now going to find more. Kinda hard to find good ones though. Someone reccomended "kana little sister" read about it on wikipedia, feels or not it creeps me out too much. But definately still interested in reading VNs.
3. KS got lots of people on /v/ excercising. I started excercising again, becuase I saw people on /v/ starting. They are likely similar fitness as me (poor).
4. Without games, I am bored and have lots of time. Looking into other hobbies. Going to try and learn the guitar, had one, tried before and quit. Now im bored and have lots of time to kill.
5. Saves me money, due to loss of interest in games. I canceled my pre orders, and no longer care about gaming.

I dont think I was effected as emotionally as others seem to be, but due to it making me loose interest in games, and indirectly motiviating me to get fit, because of people on 4chan. I would say its existnce has changed me for the better.

User avatar
zanzarra
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by zanzarra » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Good fiction can act as an emotional catalyst, if experienced at the right person in the right state of mind ( "right" not as something deliberately positive, more like star-alignment-prophecy-fulfilling receptable ).

That said, KS couldn't have come at a better time for me and clarity keeps tearing up my mental self-defense mechanisms. That doesn't mean it'd work for everyone, though.

If it didn't exist, I guess I'd wasted a few more years stagnating, before finally trying to get my shit together.
Being 25 already without a plan where to go, I guess I'm grateful.
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.

Bringerof_D
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 am

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by Bringerof_D » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 pm

pinballx wrote:I hope I do not come off as a troll or being rude or both. After reading through the forum of all the emotional and positive reactions people have gotten out of this game I am left wondering: why not me? I played and beaten the game 100% in a few days but I didn't felt it had a significant change on me or my lifestyle. I wasn't emotionally heartless as I am very sympathetic towards all the girls' problems and enjoy the lessons employ by the writers. What I most enjoy about this game as many people have said before is treating the subject of disability with respect and that none of these girls act like troupes but real people.

The feeling I am having is that everyone who got out of a roller coaster had a strong reaction while I left the ride calmly, feeling left out of the circle. Is it because I had previous experiences in playing VNs while many who played this was their first? Is it because I read previous literatures like Hamlet and Moby Dick that I didn't find this work to be a masterpiece? If this game was as eye-opening and a great test of reevaluation of yourself, what happens if it didn't exist? Would you still continue making the same mistakes, following the same habits, enduring the same lifestyle? At the end of the day while it didn't personally have a huge effect on me it makes me smile and happy knowing how much it effected you guys to be better people. Thank you for your time in reading my curiosity.
to each his own as people say. not much has changed for me since playing it and nothing really different would have happened had this not existed at least for me. it was just a fun ride. Give them some time i'm sure the hype will die down. as we are surely aware 90% of humans suffer from something i like to call, "The Time Goggles" or TTG for short. they work much like Beer Goggles. The last thing they experience if it was at all decent will temporarily become "THE BEST THING EVER!" Not to say KS wasn't amazing but this accounts for the over hyping. TTG is also the reason why politicians always try to be the last one to say something in a debate. Which is also the reason the person who speaks last always tends to win an argument. Only after a significant amount of time has passed does the TTG effect wear off and a proper evaluation of the subject occurs.

there' also the matter of preferred writing style. Writing in western culture is styled very differently than eastern culture, and then there are differences within those groups. Most people here probably prefer the Japanese story structure. thats why they're here, thats why we watch anime read manga, and play VNs.

btw i don't understand why people keep saying Moby Dick was a masterpiece. it was a good story, but there was nothing about it that was really created by the author. he wrote what happened. contrary to some of my english teachers' opinions, the whale was white. there is no symbolism in that the whale was simply white.

also target audience. Something like Moby Dick was written for for people who wanted an adventure sitting in an armchair in their living room. KS was written for lonely teenagers sitting in front of their computers.
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~

User avatar
quellsnarg
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 am

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by quellsnarg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Bringerof_D wrote:btw i don't understand why people keep saying Moby Dick was a masterpiece. it was a good story, but there was nothing about it that was really created by the author. he wrote what happened. contrary to some of my english teachers' opinions, the whale was white. there is no symbolism in that the whale was simply white.
Moby-Dick is about the adventure (and perils) of life, not about an adventure at sea, although if you don't see that now and didn't see it when looking at the history of when the novel was written and who Melville's contemporaries were, then I'm not gonna bother arguing about it. I just wanted it to be said, especially because it impacted me strongly when I read it five years ago and it still makes me think. (Also, wtf "nothing... was really created by the author, he wrote what happened"? That makes no sense considering it is a work of fiction that has some pretty bizarre moments in it.)

For the record, I like both styles of writing, western and eastern. Both have their own formulas and themes that aren't always present in the other, which is both a good and a bad thing. I would like to read more actual novels that are eastern in origin aside from animu stuff, though. I need to read more fiction in general; mostly I've been reading non-fiction these days. :/
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly

uwa
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by uwa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Guest wrote:1. I no longer play video games. Just lost interest, considering selling my xbox, give the money to charity. (I have nothing to spend money on atm)
Oh, it's not just me. My sex drive came back in a week or so, but my interest in games hasn't. Kind of a problem, actually, since I'm a game programmer. Maybe I would play another visual novel, but...
Guest wrote:...Kinda hard to find good ones though. Someone reccomended "kana little sister" read about it on wikipedia, feels or not it creeps me out too much.
yeah. I doubt there's another VN that does sex scenes as well as KS: consensual, advancing (or at least fitting into) the story, and not being incest with a little girl.
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly

Post Reply