What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

quellsnarg

Re: What If Katawa Shoujo Never Existed?

Post by quellsnarg »

uwa wrote:
Guest wrote:1. I no longer play video games. Just lost interest, considering selling my xbox, give the money to charity. (I have nothing to spend money on atm)
Oh, it's not just me. My sex drive came back in a week or so, but my interest in games hasn't. Kind of a problem, actually, since I'm a game programmer. Maybe I would play another visual novel, but...
Guest wrote:...Kinda hard to find good ones though. Someone reccomended "kana little sister" read about it on wikipedia, feels or not it creeps me out too much.
yeah. I doubt there's another VN that does sex scenes as well as KS: consensual, advancing (or at least fitting into) the story, and not being incest with a little girl.
Narcissu is quite good, although it's not sexual and not even really that romantic... and it's really sad... yeah...
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

I never would've caught the Wahahahahaha~! bug :D

Post by Guest »

uwa wrote:
Guest wrote:1. I no longer play video games. Just lost interest, considering selling my xbox, give the money to charity. (I have nothing to spend money on atm)
Oh, it's not just me. My sex drive came back in a week or so, but my interest in games hasn't. Kind of a problem, actually, since I'm a game programmer. Maybe I would play another visual novel, but...
Guest wrote:...Kinda hard to find good ones though. Someone reccomended "kana little sister" read about it on wikipedia, feels or not it creeps me out too much.
yeah. I doubt there's another VN that does sex scenes as well as KS: consensual, advancing (or at least fitting into) the story, and not being incest with a little girl.
Same here, my sex drive came back in a week, others say theirs still hasnt. The games thing isnt a problem for me, its just annoying. I have been playing games for years, it killed alot of time. Now I dont have that, so things are dull and drag on. Working on finding alternative things, but I cant do them right now. But I will do them soon.

Yeah thats one thing I liked about KS, it didnt come off as fanservice. It was there becuase it served a purpose (Hanako's path especially). Its ust annoying, im looing for story, for feels. But there are so many VNs it seems that choose to use the medium, as a way to give fanservice, instead of a good story. Still I will keep looking. KS and Narcissu show there are great VNs out there, and I want more feels.
quellsnarg wrote:
uwa wrote:
Narcissu is quite good, although it's not sexual and not even really that romantic... and it's really sad... yeah...
Narcissue is a great VN, I would reccomend it to those who havent played it. Depressing as hell though. Also it has no choices, which kills replay value, but focuses on story.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Guest wrote:Same here, my sex drive came back in a week, others say theirs still hasnt. The games thing isnt a problem for me, its just annoying. I have been playing games for years, it killed alot of time. Now I dont have that, so things are dull and drag on. Working on finding alternative things, but I cant do them right now. But I will do them soon.
Heh, mine came also back after a week, but not completely and I am actually happy about it - it is one less bother.
By the way, do read Kana: Little Sister. Guess, I have to write a spoiler here, but it is not real incest, Kana is adopted.

When you read the line "Today, I saw the ocean. I'm not afraid anymore."... the feels will be worth it. Even having to endure Yumi is worth it.
In fact, I cried again when it was referenced in Crescendo.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

If KS didn't exist, it probably wouldn't matter all that much to me. Hell, I didn't even find out about Katawa Shoujo until Know Your Meme did a Facebook post about it back on the 14th. Needless to say, that was the greatest day of my life.

Post by Guest »

dunkelfalke wrote:
Guest wrote:Same here, my sex drive came back in a week, others say theirs still hasnt. The games thing isnt a problem for me, its just annoying. I have been playing games for years, it killed alot of time. Now I dont have that, so things are dull and drag on. Working on finding alternative things, but I cant do them right now. But I will do them soon.
Heh, mine came also back after a week, but not completely and I am actually happy about it - it is one less bother.
By the way, do read Kana: Little Sister. Guess, I have to write a spoiler here, but it is not real incest, Kana is adopted.

When you read the line "Today, I saw the ocean. I'm not afraid anymore."... the feels will be worth it. Even having to endure Yumi is worth it.
In fact, I cried again when it was referenced in Crescendo.
Well I doubt we find that out soon into the VN, also it looks like a grown man and a young girl. Still creeps me out too much. If people can read it and enjoy it, thats fine. But its just not something I could enjoy reading.

I kinda prefered it with my sex drive gone tbh. Less inconvenient for me, being unable to get sexual stuff out of your head at 2AM is one of the most annoying things I know of.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Guest wrote: Well I doubt we find that out soon into the VN, also it looks like a grown man and a young girl. Still creeps me out too much. If people can read it and enjoy it, thats fine. But its just not something I could enjoy reading.
Nope, the age difference between Taka and Kana was only two years and by the end of the VN Kana is actually 18 years old, just looking frail due to a life-long illness. It is really not nearly as bad as you think it is. Kana the same way about "incest with a little girl" as Katawa Shoujo is about "cripple hentai".
Guest wrote: I kinda prefered it with my sex drive gone tbh. Less inconvenient for me, being unable to get sexual stuff out of your head at 2AM is one of the most annoying things I know of.
[/quote]

That's what I meant by writing that I am happy that it is has not completely returned.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

dunkelfalke wrote:
Guest wrote: Well I doubt we find that out soon into the VN, also it looks like a grown man and a young girl. Still creeps me out too much. If people can read it and enjoy it, thats fine. But its just not something I could enjoy reading.
Nope, the age difference between Taka and Kana was only two years and by the end of the VN Kana is actually 18 years old, just looking frail due to a life-long illness. It is really not nearly as bad as you think it is. Kana the same way about "incest with a little girl" as Katawa Shoujo is about "cripple hentai".
True. There isn't really a plot based VN with a worse premise than Katawa Shoujo, except maybe Monster Girl Quest or the Rance Series. Monster Girl Quest is a deconstruction of Japanese RPGs with monster girl reverse rape, and Rance games are as audacious and tasteless as Katawa Shoujo is tasteful, but at the same time, it is like a Heroic Epic (Stuff like The Iliad or The Odyssey).

Kana Little Sister is tame.
FlyingPiranha

Post by FlyingPiranha »

KS certainly didn't change my life in a huge way. If it didn't exist, the only thing I would probably lack is the experience and story of the game itself. I've never been quick to judge someone based on a disability (hell, one of my first big crushes was on a deaf girl), but maybe I'm just a bit more enlightened as towards what people with disabilities may go through. However, just because it didn't change my life, that doesn't change the fact that I WAS taken on a ride - the way the game is set up and the quality of writing in something I've never experienced before. It was something I could truly become immersed in, like a great book or story, but with the added dimensions of music and visuals. I could SEE the characters exchanging dialogue, the environment they were in, the music that helped add gravitas to the emotional moments. Combining that with the strong writing, relate-able characters and situations, it was a moving "game" to play. You may be on to something about this being a lot of people's first visual novels, but the fact that KS had the power to pull people into a form of game so alien to them speaks wonders about it's quality.

Christ, I'm rambling, aren't I? I think it's time I stop trying to sort out this jumbled post and just head to bed, I'm not gonna get it much clearer than that right now. :lol:
Obligatory "Order in Which I Beat the Routes" Signature:
Emi - Rin - Shizune - Lilly - Hanako

Currently struggling my way through writing my first fan fiction (or any fiction for that matter) in years.
Sethkowns

Post by Sethkowns »

I would be a worse person and i would still be very self consious on my own physical disabilaties. But besides that i would be much more bored.
"I was warned that he was not only invincible, but strong enough to probably destory the building with a punch, or at least knock over the painting hanging in the hallway." Hideaki

Favorite Routes in Order: 1. Hanako 2. Lily 3. Emi 4. Kenji 5. Rin 6. Shizune
Game completion: 100% and aiming to still redo everyone's route.
Favorite Girl: Hanako!!!!!!!!
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I probably wouldn't have gotten into VN's as much as I did. I played MSQ before KS but I still considered it a game back then. After KS I've played 6 rather long and popular VN's and am currently D/L'ing my 7th. I wouldn't be much different as a person, but I'd have a lot more free time. I just get excited over something different and discovering VN's certainly is new and refreshing.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I'd have no idea what a VN was, I'd be bored as hell, still depressed over my recent break up, oh...and bored as hell.
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

1. I wouldn't have been prompted to confess to my long-time crush and get over my fear of rejection.
2. I would never have been convinced that anime-related things can tell genuinely gripping stories.
Izzy_t/r

Post by Izzy_t/r »

If Katawa Shoujo didn't existed, I would never learn so many life lessons the game has taught me, and also I'd still be spending my days browsing the internet looking at funny pictures of cats wanting cheeseburgers.
Shut up heart! Since when I ever listen to you anyways? .......HHNNNGGG!!!!
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I would have kept moping about an extremely minor breakup and my inability to write anything. Now I have an outline and a bunch of vignettes that I'm too self-conscious to post.

Baby steps, baby steps...
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.