Any VNs similar to KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Vudison

Similar style of game

Post by Vudison »

I'd just like to congratulate 4LS for doing an excellent game. I didn't know about the existence and can thank thedw.us blog for pointing out the game and its relevance. This was my first time playing such a game and thought it was well written and beautifully done. A lot of the things raised in each of the girls path, I can relate to and hence making it one of the favourite games of all time for me.

My question is, is there many similar games out there like this?

Kudos once again to 4LS!
Demonhorns

Re: Similar style of game

Post by Demonhorns »

Heh, I doubt it. Still, I do admit the question has been on my mind - nothing can be like Katawa Shoujo, and yet I crave some of the same quality and love to be viewable in some other free VN of this effect.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Vudison wrote:My question is, is there many similar games out there like this?
What exactly are you looking for? Are you interested in story or art style? Do you want recommendations for any sort of fiction, or do you specifically want a video game? Help us understand specific things which you enjoy, or specific things you hope to see.

Here are a couple visual novels which I've recently enjoyed. Again, I can't guarantee you will like these, but...

* Tears 9, 10. Available in slightly flawed English, but only for iOS devices. This story starts with a bunch of teenagers having a party that gets out of hand. From there, it takes a sharp turn. I do not want to spoil anything, but complex issues are addressed, and the writers want the audience to cry.

* Homeward. This is one of the few other western visual novels with a slice of life story and some adult content. The link mentions a beta version, which the creators do not currently offer for download. I like what I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to the full version. It's being quietly developed in the adult section of the Lemma Soft forums (requires registration).

* (P)lanets isn't bad for a free reverse harem story. It has less gameplay than RE: Alistair, and less substantial themes than Fantasia: The Realm of Thanos, but I found it mostly charming and enjoyable.

* Edelweiss may not be a top-tier harem game, but I enjoyed it. Starts with a lot of comedy, and slowly gets serious. Mangagamer sells it as a direct download, and in a deluxe box edition. The recent re-translation should fix just about all the problems that existed in the original 2008 version.
Znegil

Post by Znegil »

The only other game even come close to KS would be "Kana, little Sister" for me.
I cried a lot in that game too... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana:_Little_Sister
Flammz

Post by Flammz »

Znegil wrote:The only other game even come close to KS would be "Kana, little Sister" for me.
I cried a lot in that game too... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana:_Little_Sister
Played Kana for a little while yesterday, didn't like it all too much to be honest.
I can recommend the Clanad & Clanad:After Story anime which brings up similar feelings that Katawa Shoujo does.
Edit: actually, I think Steins;Gate last couple of episodes were most emotional of the things I viewed so far.
You could play the Clannad/Steins;Gate visual novels instead of watching the anime too, whichever you prefer.
Last edited by Flammz on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bix

Post by Bix »

I'm kind of a sap for a good romance, with climactic confessions and fighting for love (So essentially Lilly's route)
Anyone got a VN recommendation with true happy ending, preferably not to bitter sweet.
I want a 'Happily ever after' story I guess.
Now everything leading up to that can be full of twists, drama, and turmoil.
**Library 99% complete.**
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
Flammz

Post by Flammz »

Bix wrote:I'm kind of a sap for a good romance, with climactic confessions and fighting for love (So essentially Lilly's route)
Anyone got a VN recommendation with true happy ending, preferably not to bitter sweet.
I recommend Steins;Gate VN or anime.
Clannad comes in as a close second for a well drawn out story with beautiful romance. It's sometimes a bit depressing though, both both end well.
Vudison

Post by Vudison »

gekiganwing wrote:
Vudison wrote:My question is, is there many similar games out there like this?
What exactly are you looking for? Are you interested in story or art style? Do you want recommendations for any sort of fiction, or do you specifically want a video game? Help us understand specific things which you enjoy, or specific things you hope to see.

Here are a couple visual novels which I've recently enjoyed. Again, I can't guarantee you will like these, but...

* Tears 9, 10. Available in slightly flawed English, but only for iOS devices. This story starts with a bunch of teenagers having a party that gets out of hand. From there, it takes a sharp turn. I do not want to spoil anything, but complex issues are addressed, and the writers want the audience to cry.

* Homeward. This is one of the few other western visual novels with a slice of life story and some adult content. The link mentions a beta version, which the creators do not currently offer for download. I like what I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to the full version. It's being quietly developed in the adult section of the Lemma Soft forums (requires registration).

* (P)lanets isn't bad for a free reverse harem story. It has less gameplay than RE: Alistair, and less substantial themes than Fantasia: The Realm of Thanos, but I found it mostly charming and enjoyable.

* Edelweiss may not be a top-tier harem game, but I enjoyed it. Starts with a lot of comedy, and slowly gets serious. Mangagamer sells it as a direct download, and in a deluxe box edition. The recent re-translation should fix just about all the problems that existed in the original 2008 version.
I don't really mind, I mean I know there'll be nothing close to what 4LS has done, but I'm addicted to this and have been trying to sort a game with a good story and is a good VN. I guess art, fiction, the lot... I do wish that there was another 4LS production, sigh.
Harlequin13

Post by Harlequin13 »

Vudison wrote:I don't really mind, I mean I know there'll be nothing close to what 4LS has done, but I'm addicted to this and have been trying to sort a game with a good story and is a good VN. I guess art, fiction, the lot... I do wish that there was another 4LS production, sigh.
Well no, there's probably nothing quite like KS in terms of story and setting. I mean, I don't think there's another VN that revolves around disabled teens/young adults, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're new to VNs right? Because in that case, scavenge the internet, discover VNs! Perhaps you'll find something better than KS (for you), who knows. I've completely dropped my "brooding" over this game now personally, and I did it thanks to several things but mostly because of "Ever17". Do you like mystery? If you do, then I'd highly recommend it to you. I can't stop thinking about it now (same effect as KS but for completely different reasons).

Then there's "G-Senjou no Maou" and "Yume Miru Kusuri". They both seem great aswell so I got them too.

And... Well there's a ton more out there.
Bix

Post by Bix »

Flammz wrote:
Bix wrote:I'm kind of a sap for a good romance, with climactic confessions and fighting for love (So essentially Lilly's route)
I recommend Steins;Gate VN or anime.
Clannad comes in as a close second for a well drawn out story with beautiful romance. It's sometimes a bit depressing though, both both end well.
If I watch/read Steins;Gate, do I need to have watched/read Chaos;Head? (The previous series)
**Library 99% complete.**
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
Kirsty101

Post by Kirsty101 »

Try Brass Restoration. It's about a young drummer who, after losing his arm in a train accident, must come to terms with his new disability (he's now unable to fulfill his dream of becoming a drummer like his late father) and find love in one of his female school mates. It's a pretty simple game and concept, but it does has some genuinely heart-wrenching moments, as well as some very weird and dark ones. It's free, and pretty decent in quality.

Here's a link if you're interested: http://yandere.gray7.com/?p=64

It's not an eroge though, I don't know if that matters to you or not.
Metal Handkerchief

Post by Metal Handkerchief »

I would recommend Shuffle! based on that description. I'm new to VN's, after the shellshock that was KS I also went on to try and find similar games, but Shuffle! is the only one so far to invoke feelings ala KS, though not nearly as emotional or well written. Still worth playing.
Emi = Hanako > Rin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lilly = Shizune
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
TheLastMelody

Post by TheLastMelody »

You obviously want to play Shuffle!
My story, probably better left untold - http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5245
Aerowind

Any VNs similar to KS?

Post by Aerowind »

And no, I don't mean the disability part, but rather the emotional aspect. I've always been more into the "action" type VNs (e.g. Tsukihime), so after finishing KS I'm basically feeling like the prude that just tried heroin for the first time and developing a life ruining addiction.

So please, enable me. Are there any nice romantic VNs I should look into? Preferably with some angst in it (though certainly not required).

Otherwise I'm going to have to mope around Fanfiction.net for a while in hopes that I find something remotely readable, and even then, plot's a crap shoot.