Where is the Tsundere?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

VIVI

Re: Where is the Tsundere?

Post by VIVI »

Raiel wrote:I've nearly played every path, but was slightly disappointed to discover that there wasn't even a faint trace of Tsundere (everyone except for Hanako's, and I doubt she would be one).
At first I thought Shizune would be some kind of a Tsundere from Act 1 (it's the CGs fault), but I was mistaken....
I don´t missed the archtype because the tsundere-yandereIs Kenji. :wink:
Harco

Post by Harco »

Emi and Shizune both have shades of tsundere, but they miss the antagonistic attitude towards their love interest. Yes, there are a few times that Emi gets hostile towards Hisao and has trouble admitting she loves him. That isn't because she's tsundere, though. I won't spoil anything, but if you played her route, you'd know she has a damn good reason for acting the way she does.

As for Shizune, her competitive side is what makes you think in the beginning that she's tsundere. Thing is: she doesn't care who it is she competes with. Hisao, Lilly... hell, even Hanako. And the last two are definitely not love interests. Her tsundere personality is even further subverted by the fact that she has no trouble being nice towards Hisao (although a bit dominating in the beginning).

Post by Guest »

It's all for the better, really.

(Somewhat related but I cannot stand TVTropes. Ugh.)
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

themocaw wrote:Tsundere is a stereotypical anime girl personality type usually played by Kugimiya Rie. They are always short, wear short skirts and long stockings, and act like bitches unless they're being over the top cuddly. They aren't doing this because they like you or anything, either.
Not always. There is one tsundere that dresses in long gowns and is actually very likable, if you know the backstory and everything she had to go through.

The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
te-kun

Post by te-kun »

I think tropes can be well applied or not. There are several levels of tsundere I find characters like Kagami (from Lucky Star) and Kyon (male tsundere from Suzumiya Haruhi series) some interesting tsundere characters. Haruhi is another interesting tsundere character but I think she might be too crazy for this VN, maybe she and Rin would have some nice conversation :roll:

Usually they are people who hide their true feelings under an aggressive mask it might make some interesting plot if there is a good reason for that.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Tsunderes have more of a place in comedy series where the suspension of disbelief isn't ruined when they pull a hammer from behind their back or punch the protagonist into the stratosphere for accidentally catching a glimpse of their panties.

In a VN like KS that aims to be a bit more realistic, a tsundere would be way too outlandish and I didn't miss having one in KS. Also, while Hisao has his flaws and makes several faux pas throughout the story, he's not exactly the idiot hero/pervert who usually gets paired with tsunderes. Finally, for some reason I doubt a guy with a heart condition like Hisao would hang around a girl who could accidentally murder him for mundane provocations.

That said, despite the fact Shizune's not an actual example of one, did anybody think "tsundere" in the scene that takes place in class the morning after Hanako's panic attack? Hisao approaches Shizune and thanks her for her help the other day, also on Lilly's behalf. Shizune becomes visibly flustered, then immediately shoots off a death glare and goes on a tangent of gestures that Misha tactfully translates with "you're welcome". Misha and Hisao then conclude that "Shizune's really cute when she's trying not to be". So it looks like Shizune is tsundere for Lilly.
Palas

Post by Palas »

Who cares for tsundere in a game where the girls have actual personalities?

I mean, yeah, sure, Emi has shades of tsundere. But, then again, real people also do. The devs were brilliant in characterization because they did avoid archetypes but they didn't try to subvert all of them at once for each girl. Archetypes are based on reality after all.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.

Post by Guest »

Haruhi Suzumiya and Shizune Hakamichi - a bigger catfight than the animu fandom can handle

I think the scene after Hanako's panic attack with Shizune and Misha is probably one of the only 'tsundere' moments Shicchan has - even then it's a bit of a push. Her sign phrase probably translated to something like "WHAT'S SHE THANKING ME FOR, IT WAS MY JOB, GODDDDD", but it was probably less tsundere and more that Shizune interpreted the thanks differently. Lilly's lovely but sometimes she can come across as babying and patronising - Hanako can attest to that - and that's probably what rubs Shizune up the wrong way about her.
te-kun

Post by te-kun »

Guest Poster wrote:Tsunderes have more of a place in comedy series where the suspension of disbelief isn't ruined when they pull a hammer from behind their back or punch the protagonist into the stratosphere for accidentally catching a glimpse of their panties.
There are more realistic tsundere you know?
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

The whole point of these characters is that they take stereotypes and break them over their knees (Emi has knees right? Yeah) like twigs.

Shizune may have been easily pegged as a Tsundere, but she ended up being much more than that.

Same for the other girls - not one of them is as simple as things seem, and this is a large part of the brilliance of KS. Having even one character fulfill the role of Tsundere (or any "role", for that matter) would have severely detracted from the entire experience.
te-kun

Post by te-kun »

Pl4t0 wrote:The whole point of these characters is that they take stereotypes and break them over their knees (Emi has knees right? Yeah) like twigs.

Shizune may have been easily pegged as a Tsundere, but she ended up being much more than that.

Same for the other girls - not one of them is as simple as things seem, and this is a large part of the brilliance of KS. Having even one character fulfill the role of Tsundere (or any "role", for that matter) would have severely detracted from the entire experience.
Again, a character can be tsundere without acting as tsundere 100% of the time. This is just the way that they usually act. Misha and Emi could be classified as "genki girl" but this doesn't limit them to be "just a genki girl" this means that they have an energetic nature.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Add me to the list of people who are glad we don't have a tsundere character in KS. IMO that's exactly the sort of anime stereotype the developers were trying to avoid, opting instead for more complex and relatable characters that readers would find more believable.
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

The name of this thread was the question on my mind when I first started reading. After finishing it, however, I'm actually quite thankful that there aren't any. I love tsundere, don't get me wrong (Taiga!~♥), and have been a fan of Kugimiya for a while now, but they just don't fit well into Katawa Shoujo.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
Tsundere Lightning

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Raiel wrote:I've nearly played every path, but was slightly disappointed to discover that there wasn't even a faint trace of Tsundere (everyone except for Hanako's, and I doubt she would be one)...

(snipped for length)

Anyone else, who missed the tsundere vibes? Or even thinks that the game is incomplete without any such element (or the other extreme was glad, that there wasn't any)? Does Tsundere really fit into Katawa Shoujo or not?
Shizune is agressive, but she's too affectionate and playful to really be tsundere. Frankly, I got that vibe off of Emi just a little bit; it's subtle, but she has a lot of "how could you be this stupid" moments that are at least psyundere. I'll get my coat.
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.
Koda89

Post by Koda89 »

I am kind of glad there is no tsundere in KS, and I like the tsundere trope!

Though I will admit, from a purely visual stand point, I also pegged Shizune as a tsundere at first. She just looks like so many of the typical tsundere characters. Then again Hanako also looks like your typical Shrinking Violet type of character but totally isn't one.

Point is, looks can be deceiving. Though Lilly plays the trope she looks like pretty straight for the most part.