Theoretical: Katawa Shoujo as a Hardcopy CYOA?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Uliana

Theoretical: Katawa Shoujo as a Hardcopy CYOA?

Post by Uliana »

Here's an idea I'm not sure has been suggested here yet, but I'm sure a few have already thought up. Given that Visual Novels are pretty much "electronic CYOA's", would it be possible to make a hardcopy version of the story? CYOA's as they are published now already have pictures to accompany the text, so the only advantage the game has over a hardcopy is the music and optional animations.

What do you think? Is such a thing feasible?
Ry74

Re: Theoretical: Katawa Shoujo as a Hardcopy CYOA?

Post by Ry74 »

It would be quite a hefty CYOA- the word count on the game is somewhere around 450,000, which would make a book roughly the size of the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy.
ThreeStep

Post by ThreeStep »

Sure, you could do it in theory. Avoid having to carry around a fuckhuge book by making Act 1 its own booklet, then each route has its own book. The question is, why would you bother? You're taking away the music and images, which add to the impact of the story.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

It is also, like every variation on this theme that gets thrown in, something we are not keen on doing.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.