KS gets into your head...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

A Humbled Fan

Re: KS gets into your head...

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Man...I can just imagine... you've gained my respect... I don't know if I could have handled that.

And I think what you said is true. As you get older, you have more experiences to relate to, and can relate to more and more things. This game is no exception. It shows the full spectrum of emotions that go along with relationships: the fluttery moments, the rough patches, the good endings, and the bad ones. It's offers something for everyone, because everyone who is old enough has experienced at least one of those. It's like a drama/romantic comedy made specifically for males. :D
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

dunkelfalke wrote: Compare that to romantic comedies where women go through boxes of tissues and men tend to fall asleep :lol:
Compared to the widely accepted view of male 'romance' where the men go through the boxes of tissues after the women fall asleep. :twisted:
A Humbled Fan wrote: It's offers something for everyone, because everyone who is old enough has experienced at least one of those. It's like a drama/romantic comedy made specifically for males. :D
For those of us of that sort of age (around 30) it also lets us relive the thrill of finding someone and those awkward, fumbling first moments together. Emi's path was very familiar with the impromptu picnics and dates (and experimenting ;) ). I think part of the thing I'm finding hard to take is you have that excitement again, those memories, and then you have your real life relationship where, as with pretty much all relationships, you're settled together and that type of thrill is gone replaced with the much more intimate closeness of the long term.
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

dunkelfalke wrote:Used to do that a few years ago for my fiancee. She was actually kind of my personal Katawa Shoujo in a way, had a motorbike accident once that left her with some scars outside and inside. I tried to - as they say in visual novels - protect her, and even managed to do that reasonably well, also due to my (for a layman) quite deep medical knowledge. Unfortunately one of the aftereffects of the accident, that manifested years later, was epilepsy, and the anticonvulsiva she had to take totally changed her personality, and the new personality that has emerged out of it did not love me.
...Damn.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

metalangel wrote: I think part of the thing I'm finding hard to take is you have that excitement again, those memories, and then you have your real life relationship where, as with pretty much all relationships, you're settled together and that type of thrill is gone replaced with the much more intimate closeness of the long term
So true.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I've never been unfaithful, but I think a reason why could be not that you're bored with your partner but that you miss the excitement and such as per above, and it's easy to get carried away by it if it presents itself. That your illicit lover would undoubtedly be young and juicy wouldn't help things.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

metalangel wrote:I've never been unfaithful, but I think a reason why could be not that you're bored with your partner but that you miss the excitement and such as per above, and it's easy to get carried away by it if it presents itself. That your illicit lover would undoubtedly be young and juicy wouldn't help things.
I think that's the reason the majority of people cheat on their spouse/significant other.

While this game has brought those feelings back again, it has also made me think about things that I could do for my wife that I did when we were first together. The simple things, like taking her out to dinner, drinking tea together, sitting on our front porch listening to the rain, setting aside time to specifically spend with one another.

I think it's the simple things like that that keep a relationship healthy and happy.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

A Humbled Fan wrote:Man...I can just imagine... you've gained my respect... I don't know if I could have handled that.
Nah, I don't really deserve that much respect in handling what happened - I actually wasn't able to. It has been somewhat over two years since and I've ended up with no health and no life because of all that. Guess Katawa Shoujo came at the right moment, sending me to deep down again, but helping come up shortly after, and for that I will be eternally grateful to the developers - for giving me the resolve to start living again.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

dunkelfalke wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:Man...I can just imagine... you've gained my respect... I don't know if I could have handled that.
Nah, I don't really deserve that much respect in handling what happened - I actually wasn't able to. It has been somewhat over two years since and I've ended up with no health and no life because of all that. Guess Katawa Shoujo came at the right moment, sending me to deep down again, but helping come up shortly after, and for that I will be eternally grateful to the developers - for giving me the resolve to start living again.
I don't think anyone else could have handled it any better. To lose someone that you love... that's a mans greatest fear.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

metalangel wrote:Compared to the widely accepted view of male 'romance' where the men go through the boxes of tissues after the women fall asleep. :twisted:
I guess it goes both ways, then. Well, actually what I intended was not a cheap shot at female kind of romance, just a notion that we men also can be deeply moved, even so much that we shed manly tears, just in a bit different occasions :wink:
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

dunkelfalke wrote:
metalangel wrote:Compared to the widely accepted view of male 'romance' where the men go through the boxes of tissues after the women fall asleep. :twisted:
I guess it goes both ways, then. Well, actually what I intended was not a cheap shot at female kind of romance, just a notion that we men also can be deeply moved, even so much that we shed manly tears, just in a bit different occasions :wink:
I have no choice but to agree with you on this, especially after playing KS. :roll:

On a side note, this has been one of the most rewarding conversations I've had in a long while with a complete stranger. Thank you. It's been a very enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Sorry, that was a joke. Unfortunately, the mainstream paints men as being lust-crazed simpletons and women as flirty and conniving. It also means (this is all IMHO) that genuine views of romance get pushed aside in favour of Julia Roberts and Bridget Jones drivel, or are buried under advertising to make it appeal to women. I really liked Colin Firth's character in the Bridget Jones movies, for example, but the rest of the movies were a bit too sugary.

This joke kind of says it all:
HER DIARY

He was in an odd mood when I got to the pub to meet him. I thought it was because I was a bit late but he didn't say anything. The conversation was quite slow going so I thought we should go somewhere more intimate so we could talk more privately.

We went to a restaurant but he was still acting a bit funny. I tried to cheer him up although I started to wonder if it was me or something else. I asked him and he said no, but I still wasn't sure.

In the cab on the way back to his house, I said I loved him. He just put his arm around me. I didn't know what the hell it meant because he never says it back.

We finally arrived at his place and by this time I was wondering if he was going to dump me! When I tried to ask him about it he just switched on the TV.

Reluctantly I told him I was going to bed! . After about 10 minutes he joined me and we had sex. But he still seemed really distracted. Afterwards I just wanted to leave but instead I just cried myself to sleep.

I don't know... I just don't know what he thinks anymore. I mean, do you think he's met someone else?

HIS DIARY

Leeds United lost. Gutted. Got a shag, though.
KS present a male view on relationships that was very accurate and heartfelt and would absolutely not fly in the mainstream :p
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

A Humbled Fan wrote:On a side note, this has been one of the most rewarding conversations I've had in a long while with a complete stranger. Thank you. It's been a very enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
Thank you for listening to my ramblings. It frees the mind somewhat to finally be able to talk about all that - and not being considered a creep or a loser, especially given all the context.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

dunkelfalke wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:On a side note, this has been one of the most rewarding conversations I've had in a long while with a complete stranger. Thank you. It's been a very enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
Thank you for listening to my ramblings. It frees the mind somewhat to finally be able to talk about all that - and not being considered a creep or a loser, especially given all the context.
Are you kidding? Who am i to judge you for what you have gone through. I feel honored that you've felt like you could share all of that.

Same goes for me. Thanks for listening to my outpouring of emotions. I can't tell you how much better I feel to get this stuff off my chest. It's weird... the emotions from KS kinda build, and don't really go away unless you share them... at least thats how it was for me.

Quite an experience, that's for sure.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I wonder if part of it is that we're all strangers, but with a common interest that dictates we need to have a certain mindset, that we're all able to talk like this?

I couldn't talk like this on my motorcycle forum or my gaming/socializing forum, not least of all because I don't know if I could face some of them IRL again afterwards.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

metalangel wrote:I wonder if part of it is that we're all strangers, but with a common interest that dictates we need to have a certain mindset, that we're all able to talk like this?

I couldn't talk like this on my motorcycle forum or my gaming/socializing forum, not least of all because I don't know if I could face some of them IRL again afterwards.
Right... I think you're right. We all share a common experience (KS) , yet different life experiences that all relate and intertwine to that one experience. I'm sure our anonymity helps us, but I somehow feel as if we are no longer strangers. Just people from different areas of the world and backgrounds that share a common denominator. And the fact that we can talk about these experiences with one another without fear of being judged or labeled something creates an even closer bond.