Playable Only Once

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AlphaAscalon

Playable Only Once

Post by AlphaAscalon »

I went looking for people who are feeling the same way I am about Katawa Shoujo and well. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of just how emotionally affecting it can be =)

I found in a user's signature the near perfect explanation,

It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.
- Rykn

This is pretty much how I feel. I'd never tried a VN before so I don't know what they're typically like... but that doesn't matter. I started Katawa Shoujo for the first time. Unsure of which path to take it led me to Emi's story at first. Throughout the first two acts the game kept hinting at this girl with long straight hair that seemed to pass by without anyones notice. I could tell she was scarred and always tried to hide it and I thought she was very beautiful despite those scars. After learning her story I feel that all the more strongly and deeply.

I went back to the beginning and followed the path I hoped would show me who this beautiful shy girl was and I succeeded. I didn't stop once after I restarted and I was crying by the end. I was crying because of all the things Hanako had been through and I was crying because now she'd be happy.

I tried loading up the screen to maybe try someone else's story. However, when that piano starts playing, memories of Hanako start pouring into my mind... I can't not be there for her. It would feel so wrong to not be there for her. Thank you, so very much developers of Katawa Shoujo.
My life is richer, to be able to feel so strongly about the things I read and watch and play. They have helped me to grow and understand who I am.
-AlphaAscalon

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
charmisokay

Re: Playable Only Once

Post by charmisokay »

Haha, when I was done with Lilly's I tried to casually try another route, but ended up with her again -.-
So I would have to directly avoid her, which I wouldn't like :(
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

I'm having the exact same experience. Whenever I try to play another route, there is always the feeling that Hisao doesn't know how happy he could be with Hanako rather than said other heroine, specifically Shizune. I'm just starting to come around from my playthrough with Hanako and I'm starting to function normally again (I've regained somewhat of an appetite and have started to pick up video games again whilst starting to aquite new hobbies due to my experiences). If I even start to remember any of the tracks used in Hanako's route however I start to remember my current loneliness. It's always nice to know you aren't the only one with these thoughts though.

I also admire your choice of profile picture.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

Happened to me also with Hanako, my god the amount of tears i shed... unbelievable. This game is totally breaking my heart, but still it's the best 'game' i have ever played.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
Mogami-kun

Post by Mogami-kun »

That horrible feeling when I played through her bad route to unlock 100% of the game...
Had to follow it up with the good ending.
"100%"
My final ranking: Hanako >>> Lilly > (Misha >) Shizune > Rin > Emi.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

How you guys can do that?

While I'm doing one route I'm usually thinking "what are the others characters doing?" The first route i did was Hanako, and i got the Bad Ending, it was pretty amazing, it one of the best scenes in the game. *right click* *load* - Back to the game, so i did Hanako's Good ending.

It was fuzzy and all that, so i took some time to think about it, whats the meaning of hanako's route? Why Hisao did what he did? What lessons i can learn with this?
The Following day i started Rin's Route. And i did it all again, played it, questioned it, tried to learn something new, and onwards to Shizune Route.

I cant think things like "Oh, hanako will be sad now that Hisao is hanging around with an armless broad.", it was more like "Hmm, what hanako is going to do now that Hisao is not there to help her along? Will she be forever a Shrinking Violet or soldier on and solver her problems on her own?"

One of my favorite aspects of the game is t he fact that all characters live in the same place, and be playing different routes you can see how Hisao actions can change lifes for better or worse.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

Tomate wrote:How you guys can do that?

While I'm doing one route I'm usually thinking "what are the others characters doing?" The first route i did was Hanako, and i got the Bad Ending, it was pretty amazing, it one of the best scenes in the game. *right click* *load* - Back to the game, so i did Hanako's Good ending.

It was fuzzy and all that, so i took some time to think about it, whats the meaning of hanako's route? Why Hisao did what he did? What lessons i can learn with this?
The Following day i started Rin's Route. And i did it all again, played it, questioned it, tried to learn something new, and onwards to Shizune Route.

I cant think things like "Oh, hanako will be sad now that Hisao is hanging around with an armless broad.", it was more like "Hmm, what hanako is going to do now that Hisao is not there to help her along? Will she be forever a Shrinking Violet or soldier on and solver her problems on her own?"

One of my favorite aspects of the game is t he fact that all characters live in the same place, and be playing different routes you can see how Hisao actions can change lifes for better or worse.
All that taken into consideration. It wasn't that whilst I tried to play through other routes that I wanted Hisao to spend more time with Hanako, but in fact that I wanted to spend more time with Hanako. I suppose you could say that I made Hanako (I'll regret saying this) my "waifu", due to my crushing lack of companionship I relished the thought of finding someone who shared the exact same interests as me and any interactions I had with any other characters that turned into a relationship felt like I was being unfaithful (A feeling i've been told this is felt by Lilly fans whilst playing through Hanako's route).
Last edited by TheKingOfFacade on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

TheKingOfFacade wrote:All that taken into consideration. It wasn't that whilst I tried to play through other routes that I wanted Hisao to spend more time with Hanako, but in fact that I wanted to spend more time with Hanako. I suppose you could say that I made Hanako (I'll regret saying this) my "waifu", due to my crushing lack of companionship I relished the thought of finding someone who shared the exact same interests as me and any interactions I had with any other characters that turned into a relationship felt like I was being unfaithful (A feeling i've been told is felt by Lilly fans whilst playing through Hanako's route).
This is exactly what happened to me with Hanako... damn, now the feels are rushing over me again :s
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

You know, unlike some VNs (Da Capo comes to mind), I never really get the feeling that any of the girls would be worse off if you don't do their route.

Rin: If Hisao wasn't around, she probably wouldn't have agreed to do the gallery opening, which would bypass her entire storyline. She'd continue being the same Rin she'd always been without going through her crisis.

Emi: She doesn't have Hisao to open up to, but given how supportive her family is of her, I think she'll do fine. In fact, she has been doing fine up until then: what's at stake is your relationship, not Emi's mental state.

Shizune: Hisao never comes between her and Misha. They stay friends up until graduation: you see hints of this in Lilly's route.

Lilly: She leaves Hanako and goes back to Scotland, but without Hisao, she wouldn't be as conflicted about leaving. Her major conflict doesn't even happen.

Hanako: Based on Lilly's route, she does fine even if she doesn't fall in love with Hisao. Her friendship with Lilly helps her to open up to others.

Which I kinda like, because these aren't "poor disabled girls who need you to rescue them." What's at stake in each storyline is your relationship with them, not their futures.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Okay then, I guess I'll be saving Hanako's route for last then, since it seems to put everybody who reads it into a state of depression.
AlphaAscalon

Post by AlphaAscalon »

Sgt_Frog wrote:Okay then, I guess I'll be saving Hanako's route for last then, since it seems to put everybody who reads it into a state of depression.
Haha, I wouldn't say it put me in a state of depression. It did give me a lot to think about though, both good and bad things.
themocaw wrote:You know, unlike some VNs (Da Capo comes to mind), I never really get the feeling that any of the girls would be worse off if you don't do their route.
Which I kinda like, because these aren't "poor disabled girls who need you to rescue them." What's at stake in each storyline is your relationship with them, not their futures.
I see where you're coming from and I agree to some degree. The girls of Katawa Shoujo aren't weak, far from it =) What I feel is emotional attachment to Hanako's character. It's more that I'd want to be that person who helps to open up her world, and because I feel that way it doesn't feel right playing through the game again.
TheKingOfFacade wrote:I'm having the exact same experience. Whenever I try to play another route, there is always the feeling that Hisao doesn't know how happy he could be with Hanako rather than said other heroine, specifically Shizune. I'm just starting to come around from my playthrough with Hanako and I'm starting to function normally again (I've regained somewhat of an appetite and have started to pick up video games again whilst starting to aquite new hobbies due to my experiences). If I even start to remember any of the tracks used in Hanako's route however I start to remember my current loneliness. It's always nice to know you aren't the only one with these thoughts though.

I also admire your choice of profile picture.
I'm glad to hear that you're stepping out into the world more =)

Personally; I used to hate being alone (I did have friends, just that I hated having no one around me), and while I was alone I'd get wrapped up in negative and self critical thoughts. I've grown over the last few years and I'm far more self-confident. I enjoy a bit of time to myself now.

Also, thx ^^ I like the picture to.
My life is richer, to be able to feel so strongly about the things I read and watch and play. They have helped me to grow and understand who I am.
-AlphaAscalon

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.
- Rykn
This.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If you have already seen my feedback post, you would know that this path took a toll on me. It helped me see many things about myself that I didn't beforehand. Playing through Hanako's arc was one of the most life changing and heart wrenching experiences I've ever gone through. For the past few days I've had this feeling deep inside that I just can't seem to shake, and I find my mind wandering back to the story, imagining how things would be like even after the credits have rolled. But don't worry, it seems that after awhile, only the good feelings and life lessons tend to stick around while the sad memories and thoughts drift away.

It's nice to know that I wasn't the only one who experienced it like that.

I'm not sure if I can ever bring myself to play through it again, let alone with a different character. I think my mind will always go back to feeling sorry for Hanako and all that she's been through.

Just can't help myself I guess.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

The first time I read this novel, I fell in love with Lilly from the first meeting in the tea room, but ended on Emi's path. Went through Lilly's path then, but replayed Emi's path for a bit more resolve for my restarted sports training - that girl is really the cutest drill instructor ever :wink:

Anyway, when I arrived at the part where Hisao meets Lilly in the library, and Lilly accuses him playfully "I'm starting to think that you have all forgotten about me"... that really hurt. I have actually caressed Lilly's face - well, my display, but you know what I mean - and said that I was sorry and I could never in my life forget her. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Felt kind of the same way at first. Finished Lilly first then on to Hanako since the two were so closely tied together. After that, I was able to distance myself from the story more and went on to finish Emi then Rin. Honestly wanted Rin FIRST, but ended up with Lilly...can't say I minded. Still have Shizune to go through, but I don't think anything will top Rin's ending for me. The path is HORRIBLY frustrating for me as Hisao just has NO clue about art and artists. It was so funny because my wife was reading over my shoulder and...we talk to eachother like Rin. That Hisao FINALLY understood at the end made all the frustration worth it. Romantically speaking, Lilly would be my canon ending, though. :D
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Why is everyone so worried about Hanako? She actually does better in Lilly's route then her own. Isn't the whole point of her route that she doesn't need to be rescued?