Compatibility for Android / Smartphone ?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Alaeffar

Compatibility for Android / Smartphone ?

Post by Alaeffar »

Hey there !
Since Ren'Py supports Android, I wanted to know if you considered release Katawa Shoujo on smartphones.
It would be awesome to be able to play it anywhere anytime, like carrying a book around.
Evvinartopski

Re: Compatibility for Android / Smartphone ?

Post by Evvinartopski »

If I recall correctly, it's been said several times already that ports are a definite 'No'. It's even in the game FAQ, up there in the announcement list.

Besides... do you really think such small screens can capture the full glory of the CGs, WITH text underneath? It'll just be crammed.
capncrooked

Post by capncrooked »

The only thing I could see this working on is a windows tablet (maybe ipad?). But it totally depends on how your tablet of choice is designed to handle apps. The tablet would need to have that compatibility out of the box, and like Evvinartopski stated, the devs won't convert it.
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

Well, I have been able to successfully play KS on my Kindle Fire since the full version came out...

...kinda. I've been using Splashtop Remote Desktop to access my desktop, and playing KS through that. Roundabout, sure, but it beats getting out of bed and to my computer desk (Ye Gods, I'm lazy.)
Executor

Post by Executor »

+1 to Splashtop here, I use it on my HP Touchpad running ICS.

Also, newer smartphones like the Galaxy Nexus have displays that are near to or exceed the dimensions of the CGs in the game, so downsampling would be minimal to nonexistent. However, the devs have already said they won't be porting it because the Android app only supports a newer version of Ren'py than KS is built on, and the process of moving to the newer codebase is difficult and very time-consuming
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

I believe you might be able to simply use the Linux version of KS with Ren'Py for Android (and perhaps a launcher script of some sort) to play

But to investigate this I'd need an Android device first :/
Koda89

Post by Koda89 »

Falkentyne wrote:Well, I have been able to successfully play KS on my Kindle Fire since the full version came out...

...kinda. I've been using Splashtop Remote Desktop to access my desktop, and playing KS through that. Roundabout, sure, but it beats getting out of bed and to my computer desk (Ye Gods, I'm lazy.)
Oooo, that sounds interesting. Thanks for saying that, as I plan on buying a Fire soon.

Post by Guest »

Esa94 wrote:I believe you might be able to simply use the Linux version of KS with Ren'Py for Android (and perhaps a launcher script of some sort) to play

Android Ren'py isn't backwards compatible with KS Ren'py
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Guest wrote:
Esa94 wrote:I believe you might be able to simply use the Linux version of KS with Ren'Py for Android (and perhaps a launcher script of some sort) to play

Android Ren'py isn't backwards compatible with KS Ren'py
Ren'py is python, though; You might be able to run the version bundled with KS as python is platform-independent.