Does Rin have Asperger Syndrome?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Joshp9690

Re: Does Rin have Asperger Syndrome?

Post by Joshp9690 »

C27 wrote:I'm pretty sure Asperger's is not transmissible that way >_>
Well, I know that. I was meaning his spoiler, which he supposedly knows where I live.
nyttyn

Post by nyttyn »

Actually, if you want to know -INFO INCOMING. PREPARE THYSELF-

Asperger's Syndrome is more like having a different type of brain, then any real disease. It can be considered as such by people prone to panic, and it can be slightly crippling, but I prefer to look at it with a different perspective. Having it means you aren't less or more then anyone else. It might shape who you are, but it doesn't force you to be anyone. It isn't crippling, and it shouldn't be attempted to be 'treated', except for minor nuances -such as fidgeting and concentration-.

That felt surprisingly good to get off of my chest.
Why does the OST feature so much piano, despite the fact that not even a single piano exists in the entire game!?
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

For me, at least with my life, Aspergers is both a gift and a curse

It is a gift in the terms that I excel in the areas of technology and music, yet it is a curse in the terms that I'm insanely socially awkward, and prone to bulling. Any non-aspies here, it's hell, let me tell you.
asdfghjkl;

Post by asdfghjkl; »

nyttyn wrote:

Asperger's Syndrome is more like having a different type of brain, then any real disease. It can be considered as such by people prone to panic, and it can be slightly crippling, but I prefer to look at it with a different perspective. Having it means you aren't less or more then anyone else. It might shape who you are, but it doesn't force you to be anyone. It isn't crippling, and it shouldn't be attempted to be 'treated', except for minor nuances -such as fidgeting and concentration-.

Yes, it's like having a pidgeon brain instead of a human one.
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

asdfghjkl; wrote:
nyttyn wrote:

Yes, it's like having a pidgeon brain instead of a human one.
That was a really bad comparison.
C27

Post by C27 »

Well, I may have a touch of it. I don't know- and really, it doesn't matter to me. I do know that I "think different" sometimes, but I wouldn't change it if I could.

As long as you don't assume that it makes you a special snowflake, or use it to invoke pity or excuse being a [whatever], then it's not a disease.
Last edited by C27 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rin Tezuka, Painter, withdraws from society...
Rin Tezuka, Painter has begun a mysterious construction!
nyttyn

Post by nyttyn »

Joshp9690 wrote:For me, at least with my life, Aspergers is both a gift and a curse

It is a gift in the terms that I excel in the areas of technology and music, yet it is a curse in the terms that I'm insanely socially awkward, and prone to bulling. Any non-aspies here, it's hell, let me tell you.
Although it would be rude of me to continually post, I think I should probably chime in on that note.

Yeah, the social awkwardness really doesn't help. Neither does the bullying aspect. Hell, I had to move once per year at the end of the year until I got into high school. Not sure I've gotten over the mental pain, yet. The perks are nice, though I guess I can't call either a perk or a con since I have no idea what it's like for someone who doesn't have Asperger's

But in the end, like anything else, it's what makes us who we are. I am not alone, and I am not strange. I am me.
Why does the OST feature so much piano, despite the fact that not even a single piano exists in the entire game!?
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

nyttyn wrote:
Joshp9690 wrote:For me, at least with my life, Aspergers is both a gift and a curse

Although it would be rude of me to continually post, I think I should probably chime in on that note.

Yeah, the social awkwardness really doesn't help. Neither does the bullying aspect. Hell, I had to move once per year at the end of the year until I got into high school. Not sure I've gotten over the mental pain, yet. The perks are nice, though I guess I can't call either a perk or a con since I have no idea what it's like for someone who doesn't have Asperger's

But in the end, like anything else, it's what makes us who we are. I am not alone, and I am not strange. I am me.
Don't worry, dude, I don't think it's rude.

Post by Guest »

I vaguely remember Aura mentioning something about not planning Rin as autistic. I can not remember the original post and I do not have a link.
ingordo

Post by ingordo »

Considering that the posts of the people with Asperger Syndrome in this thread are nothing like Rin's disjointed ramblings I would say no.
Nyarly

Post by Nyarly »

There is no reason to assume that she is autistic when it's not mentioned. The possibility may be there, yes, but saying that she is autistic for sure is idiotic. That somebody has some traits that are associated with Asperger Syndrome doesn't mean that they actually have it. I have some of those too and there are quite some people that assumed that I have AS (mostly people who occasionally deal with autistic people, no less), but when I was tested for it, it came out that I'm not even close it.

It bugs me that so many feel the need to label every single character who is "unsociable" and/or "weird" as autistic.
CNB

Post by CNB »

On the other hand, there's no particular reason not to assume that Rin has some form of high-functioning autism. She displays a lot of the characteristics, and since she's not a real person it's not as though a "misdiagnosis" would be harmful to anyone.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Aura's official position on this is, if I recall correctly, that Rin is simply Rin and he wanted people to make up their own minds about her.

But I definitely agree that Rin shows many autistic traits, in addition to those mentioned her oblivious to sarcasm and tendency to take things literally. (her reactions to Emi's "girlish figure" remark and Hisao's "Penny for your thoughts" are typical example of the literal autistic mindset) Sure, many people have some autistic traits, but Rin shows a truckload of them.

For all the talk people have of a KS2 with people who have a mental disorder...Rin's path would be an excellent example of an autistic romantic interest. It's arguably a much more crippling factor for her than her lack of arms.
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

Guest Poster wrote:For all the talk people have of a KS2 with people who have a mental disorder...Rin's path would be an excellent example of an autistic romantic interest. It's arguably a much more crippling factor for her than her lack of arms.
I'd actually like to see that.
Anonymoose

Post by Anonymoose »

Nyarly wrote:There is no reason to assume that she is autistic when it's not mentioned. The possibility may be there, yes, but saying that she is autistic for sure is idiotic. That somebody has some traits that are associated with Asperger Syndrome doesn't mean that they actually have it. I have some of those too and there are quite some people that assumed that I have AS (mostly people who occasionally deal with autistic people, no less), but when I was tested for it, it came out that I'm not even close it.

It bugs me that so many feel the need to label every single character who is "unsociable" and/or "weird" as autistic.
Thank you for saying this, it was my exact thought. I believe Rin was written in a way where it makes you think, all sorts of things could be going on with her, maybe she has other disabilities, maybe not, maybe she has a bad family history, maybe not, maybe she has gone through a traumatic experience which makes her behave in certain ways, maybe not. The point of the path by the end is that even if any of those things were so, none of it matters, and we wouldn't have to know in order to "understand" Rin. If you believe she may have asperger's or autism, and you relate to her path in that way, that's perfectly fine, but I feel she doesn't have to have anything specifically in order for anyone to relate to her because all youngins have problems like everyone else, autism or no.

I am a person who works in the field of therapy for kids in all levels of the autism spectrum btw, and I myself have been diagnosed with several mental disorders plus a physical disability. We have a firm belief that nobody is defined by what they are diagnosed with, and we treat all our kids as if they were any other kid, just with more special needs on what works best with them as individuals.