Satou and Hakamichi

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Archaalen

Satou and Hakamichi

Post by Archaalen »

Why do Shizune and Lily have different last names? Their fathers are brothers, so shouldn't they have the same last names? Is there a Japanese naming tradition that I am unaware of here?
Fronzel

Re: Satou and Hakamichi

Post by Fronzel »

I think sometimes a man will "marry in" to a woman's family, but that would be if they were rich and wanted to preserve the name...Lilly's family seems to be rich, but if her dad took his wife's name, it'd be something Scottish.

idk lol

Post by Guest »

Maybe there was a remarriage and the brothers have different fathers? Jigoro would probably rather castrate himself with a katana and then rub the wound with sandpaper than take someone else's name in marriage, so I can't see it happening there, lawl

I mainly think it was just so that the relation could be a spoiler :V
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

The devs have said that the mentioning of Lilly and Shizune's fathers being brothers was an oversight in the writing and isn't actually true.

Lilly's father and Shizune's mother are related.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
pedrosorio

Post by pedrosorio »

Archaalen wrote:Why do Shizune and Lily have different last names? Their fathers are brothers, so shouldn't they have the same last names? Is there a Japanese naming tradition that I am unaware of here?
Please write **spoilers** in the topic title and preferably use spoiler tags for this... really... like now. :x
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Here's my theory: Jigoro was the elder son of the Satou family, but when the time came, the family chose his younger brother -Lilly's father- to inherit the family business rather than the loutish Jigoro. He became bitter over this fact, and married into a wealthy family with a daughter but no male heir, taking her name in the process but leaving her side to pretty much run things while he continued to wallow in his own narcissism and hobbies.

End result: Lilly has a Japanese family name, both families are rich, the brothers hate each other, Jigoro is an arrogant prick who is rich despite apparently not doing anything, and Shizune's mother is too busy with other things to actually appear in the game.
Drake

Post by Drake »

I was under the impression Shizune's mother passed on.
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

quellsnarg wrote:The devs have said that the mentioning of Lilly and Shizune's fathers being brothers was an oversight in the writing and isn't actually true.

Quoted for truth.
If you look around the "Ask!" thread you will find that.
"[...] it's just a ride."
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

quellsnarg wrote:The devs have said that the mentioning of Lilly and Shizune's fathers being brothers was an oversight in the writing and isn't actually true.

A fix for v1.1?