Impactful Anime

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KaneTaker

Impactful Anime

Post by KaneTaker »

So just starting watching Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad again (for the first time since starting a band) and I have to say, its the only anime I have watched that has the same kind of emotional impact that KS has had. The characters just feel very REAL and identifiable. Highly recommend it. Anyone else have an anime they like in the same way?
Bix

Re: Impactful Anime

Post by Bix »

While I'm not sure how much the mods like going this off topic, I too enjoy BECK, gotta finish it one of these days.
I got inspired to read it after seeing this AMV at Katsucon:
They Live
**Library 99% complete.**
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Sorry if its not allowed. KS just got me thinking. :)

Oh, and SERIOUSLY finish BECK! The big concert near the end is just...amazing.
Last edited by KaneTaker on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Planetes. Period.

A Hard Sci-fi anime/manga, about life in the "space-age". it provides a realistic and dramatic view of life in space in the near future. The principal cast are the "Debris Section" of the Technora corporation, space trash collectors that are charged with the prevention of deadly orbital collisions with free-floating junk

The Story revolves around Hakimachi who is trying to be a crewman for the first space flight to Jupiter, there are lots of themes, like obsession, doubt, guilty, meaning of life and duty.

All around, a great show.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Bix

Post by Bix »

I think so far as we keep things relativity KS related we should be good
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

BECK is amazing, unfortunately i'm short the vol 5 dvd.

i recommend Clannad and Clannad: After Story if you enjoyed KS
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Beck was pretty good. I had a really hard time getting over the downright hilarious English.

For some reason K-On!! of all things made me kind of sad and wistful at the end.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

I think 'Haibane Renmei' and 'Graveyard of the Fireflies' were both very good. 'Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind' is good but too short to do real justice to the story from the manga.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Depends what kind of anime you like.
For some, moe anime will make an impact for them.

Since i think you are saying emotional impact,
these anime comes to my mind (watch too many to remember)

Saikano.
Higurashi
School Days (the game is better, for more dark scenes)

You may try Nana, the anime,
if you like BECK that kind of anime style.
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
Rykthrall

Post by Rykthrall »

Tomate wrote:Planetes. Period.

A Hard Sci-fi anime/manga, about life in the "space-age". it provides a realistic and dramatic view of life in space in the near future. The principal cast are the "Debris Section" of the Technora corporation, space trash collectors that are charged with the prevention of deadly orbital collisions with free-floating junk

The Story revolves around Hakimachi who is trying to be a crewman for the first space flight to Jupiter, there are lots of themes, like obsession, doubt, guilty, meaning of life and duty.

All around, a great show.
I very much agree with you, although I never actually watched the anime. I read the manga and I must say, Planetes is an overall incredibly emotional series, with quite a few comedic tones as well.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

AIR is a good one, and it's based off of a nakige: a VN which, like KS, is written to grab you by the emotions and not let go.

(Actually, AIR is more of an utsuge -a nakige which is designed to grab you by the emotions and shred the everloving daylights out of them- but you asked for impact, and AIR is nothing if not impactful).
Bix

Post by Bix »

I went looking for anime and manga that dealt with people overcoming disabilities.
I mostly found a bunch of manga's such as Intersex and Steel Ball Run, and one or two graphic survival series, like Berserk and Shigurui
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
Quark

Post by Quark »

Monster. Just watch it. It's 74 episodes long, but you owe it to yourself to see the whole series. The characters are phenomenal and it just drew me in in a way that no other show has.

I would also recommend Texhnolyze. It's a bit harder to get into, but it's an extremely compelling and complex story that will reward you if you give it time. And if you're looking for emotional impact, the ending is absolutely devastating.