Why didn't I cry?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xegar

Why didn't I cry?

Post by Xegar »

I chose Hanako and I couldn't stop playing. It may be funny, but it took me 17 hours to read through the whole thing (I may be a slow reader).
Still, I didn't cry. It was a bit emotional, but nothing special, and I don't know why it didn't have a bigger effect on me.
It was the good ending, I'm sure: When she kisses Hisao
I feel like a heartless asshole now. Is Hanako's ending really not that emotional and I should go through another route or is the problem with me?

(I think I'll go through the Rin route now)
Valtameri

Re: Why didn't I cry?

Post by Valtameri »

Xegar wrote:I chose Hanako and I couldn't stop playing. It may be funny, but it took me 17 hours to read through the whole thing (I may be a slow reader).
Still, I didn't cry. It was a bit emotional, but nothing special, and I don't know why it didn't have a bigger effect on me.
I feel like a heartless asshole now. Is Hanako's ending really not that emotional and I should go through another route or is the problem with me?

Well some people just don't cry that easy, i don't think you have any reason to feel like an assole because of that. I myself wept like a little baby, for several days and i still don't feel like a total idiot.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Did your nose eat your tear ducts while you were asleep?

Kidding aside, that's just how things are I guess. Some people can take certain things dry eyed, and some people will cry an ocean over something they think they normally wouldn't.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Theres nothing wrong with not crying, I didnt cry after Lilly's route. That doesnt make us emotional-less robots :D
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

I didn't cry at the game specifically; but at the things that reminded me of it. "Still Alive" from the Mirrors Edge OST set me off but the biggest by far was that god damn Asian insurance commercial with the Dead Island intro over it. It wasn't even a sob, I was full on crying.
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

ardiel wrote:Did your nose eat your tear ducts while you were asleep?

Kidding aside, that's just how things are I guess. Some people can take certain things dry eyed, and some people will cry an ocean over something they think they normally wouldn't.
Yea it's heavy based on personal experience too IMO. I shed tears only with 3 things:

1) Rin's story
2) Rin's Good End
3) Lilly's Epilogue

Each was cause certain parts reminded me of events in my life that impacted me, causing me to slightly relive them in my mind while playing.
Other than that I didn't shed tears, Yes the stories got me a bit down, however the endings made up for it.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Are we Required to cry?
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Geroaergaroe

Post by Geroaergaroe »

Xegar wrote:I chose Hanako and I couldn't stop playing. It may be funny, but it took me 17 hours to read through the whole thing (I may be a slow reader).

I didn't cried at Hanako's good ending too. It is cute; but not as a tearjerker as Lilly's (which play with your feeling in a an almost crual way)

Rin's is quite good too; but i think it lack the concrete aspect that we can find in Lilly's path, on the other hand, that lack suit the character well. Didn't cried too, but had a large smile at the end of it thanks to her cuteness.

Plus the fact that, as the lads above said, some people are not in manly tears as much as others.
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Tomate wrote:Are we Required to cry?
Oh course not that'd be horrible IMO. Sure it allows you to emotionally connect to the game as well, but I wouldn't.

Basically the matter of crying is different for everyone.

Heck when Gears of War 3 came out and me and a buddy stayed up all night to beat the campaign and my heart sank when Dom sacrificed himself to save the rest of Delta. It was a noble act (Especially with what's happened to him over the series) that put their "Brothers to the End" phrase to higher meaning then some Gear's slogan they made up to bring up hype for the game.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

FissionXMailed wrote:
Tomate wrote:Are we Required to cry?
Oh course not that'd be horrible IMO. Sure it allows you to emotionally connect to the game as well, but I wouldn't.

Basically the matter of crying is different for everyone.

Heck when Gears of War 3 came out and me and a buddy stayed up all night to beat the campaign and my heart sank when Dom sacrificed himself to save the rest of Delta. It was a noble act (Especially with what's happened to him over the series) that put their "Brothers to the End" phrase to higher meaning then some Gear's slogan they made up to bring up hype for the game.
Hmm, I've almost shred manly tears at the Good Ending of Planescape Torment, when the Nameless One saves his companions, they all gather around him in victory, everything seems all right, your victory is absolute, and then the nameless one says with a hollow voice "I have committed many crimes across many lifetimes. I go now to a place of punishment. You cannot come with me.", soon after he is dragged to hell. He found peace and found himself, but the cost is great.

Now, Hanako's good ending is actually happy.

Now i'll try Lilly route, see if it is as sad as they say.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

I didn't cry during my first play through of Hanako. I'm going to replay her good end route once I've gotten 100% in the game, and I have a feeling I might cry this time...I mean, this is a guy who bawled like a baby during Kana: Little Sister. It's been a while since something brought up so many emotions in me.

It's gotten me so emotional, I'm going to actually attempt a fanfic once I'm done replaying Hanako. This is the first time I'll be attempting a serious fanfic (I did a piece of shit script format one of Digimon back in the day...not my proudest moment.)
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

I didn't cry at either of the routes, but I am psychically blocked from crying altogether. At most, I get teary-eyed.

I guess as long as it isn't Mufasa's death scene you're allowed to stop short of crying :D
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
mimo23

Post by mimo23 »

What do you think guys - whether I will cry at Lily's route if I cried hard at Shizune's? :oops: I just would like to know what to expect :) Should I prepare myself for depressing feelings or the light ones...
Certainly, it depends only on me, but nevertheless...
Maybe with Shizune's route it was so just because themes of friends loss and unrequited love are close to me and really touches my feelings.
BTW, so far I finished only one route (Shizune's).

--
In advance sorry for my bad English.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

After being depressed at Lilly's ending, Hanako was a WONDERFULLY uplifting ending! Felt so much better.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

KaneTaker wrote:After being depressed at Lilly's ending, Hanako was a WONDERFULLY uplifting ending! Felt so much better.
Depressed after Lilly's?
Did you get the bad one or?
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.