Why didn't I cry?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KaneTaker

Re: Why didn't I cry?

Post by KaneTaker »

No, just the whole circumstances even in the good ending are so messed up. Everyone is so mixed up emotionally after everything that happened. The epilogue helps a bit, but I have a hard time not thinking Lilly stayed because she felt sorry for Hisao.
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Ohh right, its because we think different then :D
I felt that she stayed because she finally believed that Hisao really loved her, and that she would lose more of her "family" if she moved to Scotland.
The scenes after the credits especially made me think like this.

If you look at it your way, yes, her ending was actually pretty sad.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Guess I was still in a pretty negative state after sitting on the bombshell at the Shangai all day at work. Was so distraught I had to look up the ending on my phone...
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I, a big ass grown ass big black dude, [strike]nearly cried[/strike] was emotional at Hanako's Good End because it was like the lass overcame her fears and shit like that and found a dude that loved her for who she is.

Come to think of it, the only other video games' ending I [strike]nearly cried[/strike]that pulled my heart strings was Ryu's ending from Street Fighter II (The whole idea of doing what you love because you love it, not for an award, fame, glory, etc.) the ending for Metal Gear Solid 3 and the ending for Fire Emblem 6 (basically getting a very rare second chance at life).

I dunno, I think any endings in any kinda form of media that shows that you can overcome something (like Hanako's ending), that you should forgive, or not let shit get to you, pulls at me a bit.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Totally understand that, Snow.
Metal Handkerchief

Post by Metal Handkerchief »

As a big-ass viking and former military grunt, I am not afraid to say I outright BAAAWED at Emi's path, welled up in tears of anguish during Hanako's path (which turned into misty-eyes of joy at the end) and suffered a mixture of strong emotions (though no tears) after Rin's path. Up until this game, I can't remember the last time I cried, must have been when I was an infant.

Neither Shizune or Lilly's path affected me much, except when Hanako was involved.
Emi = Hanako > Rin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lilly = Shizune
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

Metal Handkerchief wrote:As a big-ass viking and former military grunt, I am not afraid to say I outright BAAAWED at Emi's path, welled up in tears of anguish during Hanako's path (which turned into misty-eyes of joy at the end) and suffered a mixture of strong emotions (though no tears) after Rin's path. Up until this game, I can't remember the last time I cried, must have been when I was an infant.

Neither Shizune or Lilly's path affected me much, except when Hanako was involved.
It's really nice to see all them manly mens opening up here and admitting they also cried like a baby while playing KS. Truly amazing this piece of art is.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

I must be a stone-hearted bastard.

The Story was awesome, the characters were nice, some endings are bitter-sweet, but no tears were shed.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Modem

Post by Modem »

As a person who usually never cries at anything, not even at funerals (Yes, I am a heartless bastard), I was on the verge of breaking into tears when I got the Hanako bad ending. I could feel my eyes watering up and I had to go lie on my bed for a bit to reflect on life, I don't think anything in the real world or the virtual world has ever made me done that. Bravo 4LS, bravo!
I'm starting to hear the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack play through my head in everyday like, is this normal?

"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly

Quack!
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Heh, I have lost a few people in my life, most of them were family members who meant something, if not a lot to me - yet I'm not sad. Death is a part of life (:
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
ThreeStep

Post by ThreeStep »

Tomate wrote:I must be a stone-hearted bastard.

The Story was awesome, the characters were nice, some endings are bitter-sweet, but no tears were shed.
This is exactly how I felt. KS was a pretty engrossing ride and I'm glad it came out, but in the end it was just a book with moving pictures.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

ThreeStep wrote:

This is exactly how I felt. KS was a pretty engrossing ride and I'm glad it came out, but in the end it was just a book with moving pictures.
You have no idea how much i envy you for that , both of you :)
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

ThreeStep wrote:

Aye, this one. I felt sad, yes, but so as when reading Onani Master Kurosawa.

It's all just plain tearjerkers.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
F4lk

Post by F4lk »

ThreeStep wrote:
Tomate wrote:...but in the end it was just a book with moving pictures.
It is, for sure. And I think its not a bad thing to keep this in mind (even though I'm someone who gets dragged into such storiers very easily ^^). But most people have some character/story in this VN they can relate to, either because they know a person whose similar to the character or because they are reminded of special moments/experiences in their own lifes.

The reason why so many people cried some tears (include me to that group) or were near to it is because Katawa Shoujo is playing with these kinds of feelings...sadness...joy...happiness...they are all well known to all of us, and even if its just a VN, you want that character you feel attracted to to be happy.
"The reason I feel people are getting such Feels [while playing KS], is that the border between fantasy and reality is thin in this game. It feels real, and when you are done, its like spending a week getting to know someone intimately and then never seeing them again."
- Bix
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

Xegar wrote:I chose Hanako and I couldn't stop playing. It may be funny, but it took me 17 hours to read through the whole thing (I may be a slow reader).
Still, I didn't cry. It was a bit emotional, but nothing special, and I don't know why it didn't have a bigger effect on me.
It was the good ending, I'm sure: When she kisses Hisao
I feel like a heartless asshole now. Is Hanako's ending really not that emotional and I should go through another route or is the problem with me?

(I think I'll go through the Rin route now)
it was a happy ending. you're not supposed to feel sad afterwards. i'm the same, felt kinda happy afterwards. however DURING the route was another story, on 2 separate occasions i was about to cry.
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~