If you could bully Hanako in the game...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
pandaphil
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by pandaphil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

YZQ wrote:
She probably has to be told explicitly that the audience is watching her because she is performing the central character of the play, not because of her condition, not to mention that between the costumes and the makeup, no one will notice her scars. Bonus points if Lily decides to take Christine to help Hanako cope, and if the production crew leaves Hanako uncredited for the role. An actor refusing to be credited for playing the Phantom? That will drum up interest.
Hmmm, do Japanese schools have dances? That sounds like the making of a great masquerade/costume party entry.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by YZQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Lesyay...
And the audience will buy it. They probably will guess it, with Hanako's hair and singing.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2865
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Oddball » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 pm

YZQ wrote:
Thanks for the review. Perhaps, one day, Hanako will pluck up her courage and play Erik in a Yamaku adaptation of the play (Lord knows if Yamaku even has a theatre club).
That might actually be a bad idea.

While many of the musical adaptions try to soften the guys image and paint him in a more romantic lead, the original story has the phantom as quite a petty vindictive and all around vicious monster. Having Hanako play a character that's decided he's going to act like a monster because that's what he looks like might set the wrong idea.
Not Dead Yet

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by YZQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Oddball wrote:
YZQ wrote:
Thanks for the review. Perhaps, one day, Hanako will pluck up her courage and play Erik in a Yamaku adaptation of the play (Lord knows if Yamaku even has a theatre club).
That might actually be a bad idea.

While many of the musical adaptions try to soften the guys image and paint him in a more romantic lead, the original story has the phantom as quite a petty vindictive and all around vicious monster. Having Hanako play a character that's decided he's going to act like a monster because that's what he looks like might set the wrong idea.
That is true, although the original was written way back in the early 20th century, when attitudes towards people outside of the norm were less than pleasant. In some ways, as she reads through the screenplay, it would dawn upon Hanako that perhaps she had been too hard on herself. Others with less self-control or loathing would have lashed out like the Phantom. With her sweet nature, Hanako will no doubt be repulsed by the actions of the Phantom. Perhaps, the best approach to life will be a middle point between her self-isolation and the hatred harboured by the Phantom.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
pandaphil
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by pandaphil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Oddball wrote:
While many of the musical adaptions try to soften the guys image and paint him in a more romantic lead, the original story has the phantom as quite a petty vindictive and all around vicious monster. Having Hanako play a character that's decided he's going to act like a monster because that's what he looks like might set the wrong idea.
I doubt it would have that much of an effect, except maybe as a confidence booster. I'd be surprised if she hasn't already spent a lot of time fantasizing about striking back at the people who teased or abandoned her because of her looks.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 am

pandaphil wrote:I'd be surprised if she hasn't already spent a lot of time fantasizing about striking back at the people who teased or abandoned her because of her looks.
So...You'd be surprised if Hanako wasn't an obsessive vindictive bitch?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
pandaphil
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by pandaphil » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

Xanatos wrote:
pandaphil wrote:I'd be surprised if she hasn't already spent a lot of time fantasizing about striking back at the people who teased or abandoned her because of her looks.
So...You'd be surprised if Hanako wasn't an obsessive vindictive bitch?

Seems perfectly normal for someone who's been bullied a lot. I'm a very gentle person, but I still have a lot of anger towards the people who picked on me at school. But as far as I know though I haven't turned into a serial killer.
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.

User avatar
Dr. Casey
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:29 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 am

Hanako never striked me as an angry person (she seems more sorrowful and shellshocked to me), but I wouldn't be surprised if she does have a lot of bitterness and spite underneath the surface. Considering the vitriol she aimed at Hisao for his misguided attempts at being kind, I think it would be a valid character interpretation to think she might have a lot of hate towards those who intentionally and gleefully tormented her.

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by YZQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Hanako never striked me as an angry person (she seems more sorrowful and shellshocked to me), but I wouldn't be surprised if she does have a lot of bitterness and spite underneath the surface. Considering the vitriol she aimed at Hisao for his misguided attempts at being kind, I think it would be a valid character interpretation to think she might have a lot of hate towards those who intentionally and gleefully tormented her.
Never hard to point out that she tarred Lily with the same brush, even when Lily had no such intentions as all. Her repression is epic at some levels.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
Hisao&Hanako<3
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 am

Good one, Doc. She does kind of point out that she doesn't like people, so it's up to Hisao Master of Romance to make sure those darker urges don't come out. He should teach her a few sweet moves while making out or something. Enter Sisterhood. :lol:

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by YZQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 am

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:Good one, Doc. She does kind of point out that she doesn't like people, so it's up to Hisao Master of Romance to make sure those darker urges don't come out. He should teach her a few sweet moves while making out or something. Enter Sisterhood. :lol:
Lord, the lady is so sweet that she doesn't know that it isn't her fault her friends shunned her after the fire. Really, she had no reason to cry for what is basically others doing wrongs to her. Yet, she does.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
Dream
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Dream » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 am

The phantom is an asshole
Something that is important to note in here, is that the writer of the novel (Gaston Leroux) Himself notes that you can't exactly call Erik a monster, plus the only reason everyone lives in the end and Christine and Raoul are able to leave france to live together is that he redeems himself at the end when someone finally shows him love. It is true that he behaves in a vicious and is somewhat of a sadist, but it's not like Erik did not give a shit at all, if he didn't Christine would have been killed by the time she lost her ring or tried to escape for the first time. Might also be worth noting that the final chapter is titled "The end of the Ghost's love story" Also, this fragment from said chapter might be useful:
Of course, he had to leave the Sultan's service for the same reasons that made him fly from Persia: he knew too much. Then, tired of his adventurous, formidable and monstrous life, he longed to be some one "like everybody else." And he became a contractor, like any ordinary contractor, building ordinary houses with ordinary bricks. He tendered for part of the foundations in the Opera. His estimate was accepted. When he found himself in the cellars of the enormous playhouse, his artistic, fantastic, wizard nature resumed the upper hand. Besides, was he not as ugly as ever? He dreamed of creating for his own use a dwelling unknown to the rest of the earth, where he could hide from men's eyes for all time.

The reader knows and guesses the rest. It is all in keeping with this incredible and yet veracious story. Poor, unhappy Erik! Shall we pity him? Shall we curse him? He asked only to be "some one," like everybody else. But he was too ugly! And he had to hide his genius or use it to play tricks with, when, with an ordinary face, he wouldhave been one of the most distinguished of mankind! He had a heart that could have held the empire of the world; and, in the end, he had to content himself with a cellar. Ah, yes, we must needs pity the Opera ghost.
So yeah, while the Phantom is more than a little of a jerk, it is not without motive. I think that Hanako would be very interested in the novel/play and would have a significant impact on her, both emotionally and intellectually. Whether or not she would relate to the Phantom, or rather how much, i can't be too sure.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:43 am

Dream wrote:So yeah, while the Phantom is more than a little of a jerk, it is not without motive. I think that Hanako would be very interested in the novel/play and would have a significant impact on her, both emotionally and intellectually. Whether or not she would relate to the Phantom, or rather how much, i can't be too sure.
It'd be her own Katawa Shoujo. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Dream
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by Dream » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 am

Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:So yeah, while the Phantom is more than a little of a jerk, it is not without motive. I think that Hanako would be very interested in the novel/play and would have a significant impact on her, both emotionally and intellectually. Whether or not she would relate to the Phantom, or rather how much, i can't be too sure.
It'd be her own Katawa Shoujo. :lol:
Yeah, with Lilly as Christine and Hisao or Shizune as Raoul it could become a very cathartic experience for Hanako.

(And the Lesyay and Foeyay would enchant the entire audience)
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: If you could bully Hanako in the game...

Post by YZQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Dream wrote:So yeah, while the Phantom is more than a little of a jerk, it is not without motive. I think that Hanako would be very interested in the novel/play and would have a significant impact on her, both emotionally and intellectually. Whether or not she would relate to the Phantom, or rather how much, i can't be too sure.
It'd be her own Katawa Shoujo. :lol:
Yeah, with Lilly as Christine and Hisao or Shizune as Raoul it could become a very cathartic experience for Hanako.

(And the Lesyay and Foeyay would enchant the entire audience)
I would think that Raoul would be played by Hisao, unless the audience is willing to accept reading Raoul's lines from somewhere while Shizune is acting.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

Post Reply