The "thank you 4LS" thread.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YutoTheOrc

Re: The "thank you 4LS" thread.

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Disposition wrote:Nothing made me feel, so I never expected a game to do so. Thanks for the experience, maybe it will put me on a better path.
Really? Never enjoyed a good pastry? Felt pain when you stubbed your toe? Been disappointed when someone eats the last piece of pizza?
edward_low

Post by edward_low »

YutoTheOrc wrote:
Disposition wrote:Nothing made me feel, so I never expected a game to do so. Thanks for the experience, maybe it will put me on a better path.
Really? Never enjoyed a good pastry? Felt pain when you stubbed your toe? Been disappointed when someone eats the last piece of pizza?
Dude, I think he might be depressed. At least, reading in-between the lines it seems pretty likely.
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

edward_low wrote:
YutoTheOrc wrote:
Dude, I think he might be depressed. At least, reading in-between the lines it seems pretty likely.
He said that he never got said, and at least from what I have experienced about depression; they're generally sad a lot.
Disposition

Post by Disposition »

YutoTheOrc wrote: Really? Never enjoyed a good pastry? Felt pain when you stubbed your toe? Been disappointed when someone eats the last piece of pizza?
There's probably a correct way to explain this, but, I'm not entirely sure how I would do so. I have nothing to be sad about. I've been diagnosed with depression, linked to signs of apathy, suicidal tendency, and generally not caring about anything. I don't know what being sad feels like, I've probably experience it before, but, if I did, I can't really remember. I think I do feel emotion but my brain stores it away, or doesn't let me experience/remember it, I'm not sure. I've been through a lot of things that would make people angry/sad, but, It doesn't faze me. I could go on about this, but I'd prefer some parameters before I go off on tangents.
INTP Enneagram 5w4

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion."

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty together again."
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Disposition wrote:
YutoTheOrc wrote: Really? Never enjoyed a good pastry? Felt pain when you stubbed your toe? Been disappointed when someone eats the last piece of pizza?
There's probably a correct way to explain this, but, I'm not entirely sure how I would do so. I have nothing to be sad about. I've been diagnosed with depression, linked to signs of apathy, suicidal tendency, and generally not caring about anything. I don't know what being sad feels like, I've probably experience it before, but, if I did, I can't really remember. I think I do feel emotion but my brain stores it away, or doesn't let me experience/remember it, I'm not sure. I've been through a lot of things that would make people angry/sad, but, It doesn't faze me. I could go on about this, but I'd prefer some parameters before I go off on tangents.
Oh, well. I was thinking you just didn't feeling anything. I had no idea you had been diagnosed with depression :/. I guess its like the old saying "You feel so much of the same thing, it eventually becomes routine."
Bluegaze

Post by Bluegaze »

Thank you 4LS for creating a great game with a great story. Haven't head anything move me quite so much for few years I think. You created great characters, great story and made it even better with cool graphics and truly awesome music. You should all be proud to be part of something that great :D You also made me interested in the whole visual novel thing and I will surely try another one after I get over Katawa Shoujo.
Xin

Post by Xin »

When I first started playing KS, I feel so deeply in love with it. Playing Lilly's story for the first time was a profoundly touching experience, and I wrote a blog post about it entitled "How Katawa Shoujo is Making Me a better Person". I originally copied and pasted the whole thing into a forum thread, but it's pretty wall-of-text hard to read. Please check it out on my blog if you care to read my early thoughts on the game!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Xin wrote:When I first started playing KS, I feel so deeply in love with it. Playing Lilly's story for the first time was a profoundly touching experience, and I wrote a blog post about it entitled "How Katawa Shoujo is Making Me a better Person". I originally copied and pasted the whole thing into a forum thread, but it's pretty wall-of-text hard to read. Please check it out on my blog if you care to read my early thoughts on the game!
I checked out your post (and the follow-up on Emi's route). What a wonderful tribute to the game we love! Keep writing, and welcome to the forums. Enjoy yourself, and thanks for contributing.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Tyrael

Post by Tyrael »

Good thing I found this thread :)

Thank you, 4LS for making a game that has touched me in a way few things have in a very long time. I have been depressed for a long time, turning inward for answers as some of the heroines in KS did as well but doing this I never managed to actually solve anything. Instead, I'd just keep running in circles, being angry at myself, my family, my friends and well, the entire world. Not only did your game 'give me the feels' on several occasions, forcing me to confront my feelings but it has also changed my perspective on written media as a whole. Writing was actually something I enjoyed doing (it was mostly about music but I did write a few short stories I was kinda proud of in the end) until a few years ago when my past of being bullied and never really having a place to belong caught up to me.

I would say I'm very familiar with the medium of visual novels, having played most of what people would consider to be the 'essential' VN's such as everything done by Key and so forth. Even though I've sat through many romance stories, whether they were in the form of a book, a VN, a series or even an anime none of them clicked with me the way this game did. While there are different aspects to it, I do feel that you guys did an amazing job at this game. I couldn't say what impressed me more, the simple yet perfectly fitting visuals, the soundtrack (oh, what an emotional rollercoaster it was, I still can't listen to 'Innocence' without tears welling up in my eyes!) or the magnificent (and very tactful) writing. I can't say for sure as I am not an experienced writer (even though I'd like to be) but I think you guys came dangerously close to writing the perfect story on quite a few occasions. I must say I found this to be extremely impressive, coming from a group of people who apparently did not have that much experience (if any) with making a game such as this. I am truly grateful you guys stuck around for such a long time to create such a beautiful experience for us, humble readers.

Anyways, your game has inspired me to get back into writing and also got me dreaming of a day when I can hopefully be part of something as amazing (but probably not quite as outstanding, considering the diamond in the rough you guys have managed to create here) and inspire others in the way that you have inspired me. For all its faults, Katawa Shoujo may very well not be the best visual novel ever created, but I don't care. I'll cherish it as my favorite for a long time to come.

Much love and thanks,

Tyrael
blackwolf321`

Post by blackwolf321` »

Hello. I'm about to go on a rant and write a prolonged post that no one will read.

During middle school I was a very antisocial person, but i wasn't lonely, mind you (Probably because i had Twain, Wilde and Chekhov to keep me company :wink: ). My family was disapproving of it and often forced me to get out of the house. We had this tiny garden with a very old walkway, which had "colorful" tiles. Well not really. The tiles were laid back in the days of the Soviet Union, so naturally they lost their previous color and could only be described as "dark" and "light". So i played the "Tile Game". By the end of the walkway, some tiles were missing, so i had to make a very long jump to reach the "dark" (or "light", depending on my mood) tile. On one rainy day, i slipped and dislocated my wrist. Those were good times :) .

Come high school, i found and mingled in with the "edgy" group of students. I even stopped reading and the walkway was "renovated" (At first I used the word, "destroyed"), instead of the old "colorful" tiles they lay down monotonous grey ones. But as time went by, I forgot about the tiles. Most of the time i was hanging out with my friends (All of whom were at least 2 years older than me), discussing anime, indie films/music and wallowing in self-pity. One by one, my friends graduated and in my 11th year i was completely alone, with no friend or anyone to talk to. I was a mess. a total emotional wreck, withering away in solitude.

And than i found KS. The feels. It completely defied my expectations (It destroyed them, to be fair). It got me out of my sorry-ass state and gave me a new outlook on life. It was a one-of-a-kind experience, the like of which I'll never have. It also helped me my true passion. Writing. That was the only time i could truly be myself, the only time i could truly feel worthwhile.

So with that self-indulgent monologue out of the way, thank you, 4 Leaf Studio. Thank you for putting so much heart, soul and love into a single indie game. Thank you for bringing back the memories from the best time in my life. Thank you for redefining my outlook on life itself. Thank you for helping me find my true passion.
itto

Post by itto »

I found KS some days ago and have been playing it non-stop until now. I got sucked in immediately. Everything contributes to create a sort of magic I haven't been able to find anymore in games since a long time. My first story has been with Lilly, I managed to come to an happy ending and I literally fell in love with her character, like many others did I suppose, having read some of the forum threads.

I wish to thank all the people involved in this project. You managed to create a work of love and passion. The end result is even more amazing considered the many people and years of development involved. I program games as a passion, and I can only imagine the difficulties involved in delivering such a quality product. It's inspiring. I wish there would be more games like this, and I ultimately wish to see more of KS, even though I read the FAQs. A spiritual successor would be ok anyway :wink:

Thank you for having touched so many hearts around the world.
mateh1

Post by mateh1 »

thank you 4LS

It's been exactly 2 years since I signed up here and finished playing Katawa Shoujo
and it's been a year since I last played it..
I thought I was out, I thought I could move on
then I listened to Wiosna again, for the first time after a year
I literally shed a tear, knowing that I must play it again

I downloaded it again on your web, played it, finish the 1st playthrough (it was Hanako's, like always), and then there it was...
the same feeling like I first played it 2 years ago, I feel empty inside, even now

I was so close to getting out, SO CLOSE!
then I got reeled back in

it's painful to play this again
but I'm so grateful you made this game

seriously, I appreciate it :)
Can you face your fears?
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Fuckin' Wiosna, man.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
mateh1

Post by mateh1 »

Munchenhausen wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Fuckin' Wiosna, man.
if there's a like button
I'll press it till my mouse break
Can you face your fears?

Post by 1923327854 »

Thank you 4LS for this wonderful VN. I'd like to also thank the community for their fanfiction and fan art. This was my first VN, and Katawa Shouja set the bar very high. I see this VN staying with me for a very long time.